X-COM/XSDF RP THINK TANK (part3)

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member
Is this fuzz really necesarry? Is it so life changing to have whatever frost wrote, not be there anymore? Is it really worth it complaining about it?

Plus frost showed proof...
Point is, that is happening, now, not 25 years in the future and it is a very minute thing in Chinese history that it probably does not need to be mentioned. Timeline was built by Ramma and Gem for a reason.

PrismaCube

Well it does not sound like that this is a big problem... We are litterly talking about a couple of years and a nation that barley has to do with XSDF.

Or did I miss something here? Just trying to help is all.

DarkGemini24601

It's been 20 years since The Ethereal Subjugation war right?

It started in 2015, during 2015 in real life, that's going on right now.

I fail to see how my dates were wrong.
It is 2044. You're thinking of the XCOM2 Game timeline. We started in 2018, remember? That date that was on the majority of SoD posts?

Allow me to explain something. I have no solid opinion on most stuff relating to LGBT. Especially here, as a GM, I hold a neutral stance. I couldn't care less. And because I couldn't care less, I see no reason to bring up stuff pertaining to that. Here, if we wanted to discuss for some unholy reason? Sure, Prisma taught me that OOC, that's fine.

In the story? No. Because I see the banner-bearers of the movements of today permeating all aspects of my life. Look, it's noble to get tolerance for gays, but when you act like you're crusaders for justice and shove your flag down my throat I get weary of it. It doesn't have a place in war stories and XCOM-related stuff. Not the social issue aspect of it, anyway.

DarkGemini24601

Well it does not sound like that this is a big problem... We are litterly talking about a couple of years and a nation that barley has to do with XSDF.

Or did I miss something here? Just trying to help is all.
Eh, the thing itself isn't really, I'm just a little ticked trying to address a bigger underlying problem that it reflects. Don't worry about it, I'm not going to go beheading anyone.

Frostlich1228

Point is, that is happening, now, not 25 years in the future and it is a very minute thing in Chinese history that it probably does not need to be mentioned. Timeline was built by Ramma and Gem for a reason.

It's literally a complete polar shift in their culture, not something I would consider minute...

And thoughts like this spread, the kids or during the start would be adults, then they would teach their kids and influence them, if you look at it that way, then would still be a thing unless a dictator tried to stop it, which I don't feel would work.

BMPixy

Eh, the thing itself isn't really, I'm just a little ticked trying to address a bigger underlying problem that it reflects. Don't worry about it, I'm not going to go beheading anyone.

325691840839814561_bb0235cc6b66.jpg

Aw, I'll put away the guillotine then.

Frostlich1228

It is 2044. You're thinking of the XCOM2 Game timeline. We started in 2018, remember? That date that was on the majority of SoD posts?

Allow me to explain something. I have no solid opinion on most stuff relating to LGBT. Especially here, as a GM, I hold a neutral stance. I couldn't care less. And because I couldn't care less, I see no reason to bring up stuff pertaining to that. Here, if we wanted to discuss for some unholy reason? Sure, Prisma taught me that OOC, that's fine.

In the story? No. Because I see the banner-bearers of the movements of today permeating all aspects of my life. Look, it's noble to get tolerance for gays, but when you act like you're crusaders for justice and shove your flag down my throat I get weary of it. It doesn't have a place in war stories and XCOM-related stuff. Not the social issue aspect of it, anyway.

Okay, still twenty years but we started a little later, doesn't mean it would've changed between 3 years.

DarkGemini24601

It's literally a complete polar shift in their culture, not something I would consider minute...

And thoughts like this spread, the kids or during the start would be adults, then they would teach their kids and influence them, if you look at it that way, then would still be a thing unless a dictator tried to stop it, which I don't feel would work.
Importance of the movement is irrelevant, and I probably should have just made that position clear from the start, so, sorry about that. As said above, I just don't consider such things pertinent to XCOM stories, and personally would like to tell a story where LGBT is perfectly accepted because that makes the majority of people here thing this is a brighter future, and it does a lot to remove frustration on my part from hearing the same rhetoric I've been slapped with for the past few years.

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member

Why are we still talking about this? Just drop it like a bad habit and RKO it.

Frostlich1228

Well, it isn't Phoenix Wright, but at least it isn't Master Chief. Oh god the horror if he got in.

Also, I predict that the amount of people complaining about there being so many swordsfolk will increase threefold.

I like the swordsmen in the game, they make me feel like much more of a badass when I play them and I feel like they add just a touch of needed realism to the over the top masterpiece that is Smash.

BMPixy

I like the swordsmen in the game, they make me feel like much more of a badass when I play them and I feel like they add just a touch of needed realism to the over the top masterpiece that is Smash.

Oh yeah, I'm fine with the swordsfolk (hell my main is Roy), just other people might not be. I mean there's what, ten characters who use swords? To some that might seem like a lot.

Alzdude28

Sorry to bring this back from the dead, and please correct me if I'm wrong but, I'm guessing that you have not got much personal experience with LGBT issues. I think it is worthy of a place in war stories, because military organisations are one of the least accepting places. To give a few examples, during the second world war, there was a British mathematician called Alan Turing. He was responsible for saving hundreds of lives by cracking German codes. He also happened to be homosexual, and after the war he was convicted of "gross indecency" sentenced to chemical castration and eventually driven to suicide. Until relatively recently LGBT people were not allowed to join the armed forces. Even today, there is a much greater stigma in military life than civilian life, especially for transgender people. These aren't issues that can just be forgotten. I'm not saying make a huge fuss over them, I'm just saying that celebrating the fact that, in our story, these issues have been overcome and all people are finally accepted should not be suppressed because it doesn't quite fit with a minor aspect of the lore.
Before dismissing LGBT issues entirely, walk a mile in these shoes.

DarkGemini24601

Sorry to bring this back from the dead, and please correct me if I'm wrong but, I'm guessing that you have not got much personal experience with LGBT issues. I think it is worthy of a place in war stories, because military organisations are one of the least accepting places. To give a few examples, during the second world war, there was a British mathematician called Alan Turing. He was responsible for saving hundreds of lives by cracking German codes. He also happened to be homosexual, and after the war he was convicted of "gross indecency" sentenced to chemical castration and eventually driven to suicide. Until relatively recently LGBT people were not allowed to join the armed forces. Even today, there is a much greater stigma in military life than civilian life, especially for transgender people. These aren't issues that can just be forgotten. I'm not saying make a huge fuss over them, I'm just saying that celebrating the fact that, in our story, these issues have been overcome and all people are finally accepted should not be suppressed because it doesn't quite fit with a minor aspect of the lore.
Before dismissing LGBT issues entirely, walk a mile in these shoes.
...really Alz? No, really? I have been so beaten over the head with issues that DONT CONCERN ME that I hardly think you can say I'm ignorant. Fuck, that's rude. And don't bother apologizing for ressurecting the topic because that doesn't excuse you lighting a fire under my ass ONE BIT.

There is no dsicrimination against LGBT in the XSDF or any military in Vanguard of Forseti. That is my lore. And there won't be any visible in X2 because we'll be too busy fighting to save our world to be prejudiced.

I don't want those sort of social politics in a story I'm leading because quite frankly it ruins mu enjoyment. Not because I have something against LGBT people, but because I want to write stories about people struggling through combat and such.

I don't want to tell stories about "oh the poor minorities". That's nonfiction, and it doesn't bring me any enjoyment to see. i wpuldnt have fun writing a discriminated against character, nor would I enjoy playing as the discirminator.