X-COM THINK TANK (Out of Character Discussion about X-COM and the Series)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Well of course he's having a problem, he isn't using a laser/plasma weapon. Those things tear through cover like a small child through wrapping paper.
Actually, I heard in the Long War mod, the walls aren't made of expoldium, fragilite, and Micheal-Baydium anymore. It has now been reenforced with decentanium so it doesn't fall to pieces from a single shot.

Squee913

Yes, HE grenades still remove cover, but you don't have to worry about stray shots taking down whole walls as much anymore. UFO walls are even tougher. There is a perk called Sapper for engineers that allows grenades to do more damage and take out heavy cover.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
I always thought that if the plasma shots were strong enough to wipe out an entire section of a solid brick wall with one shot like it was made of Raditz, then when you see the scene where the scientist is testing the weapon, it should go through the wooden alien figure, blast through the wall, and take out the satellite array three rooms over, knocking out coverage over North American while X-COM is tracking an spaceship, letting it get away.

It makes you wonder what the aliens test-targets are made of. Adamantium?

Gahlo

Watching a guy from another forum play XCOM blind. All the cringe. Dude had 4 Nano-Fiber vests and 5 Med-Kits.

BMPixy

Actually, I heard in the Long War mod, the walls aren't made of expoldium, fragilite, and Micheal-Baydium anymore. It has now been reenforced with decentanium so it doesn't fall to pieces from a single shot.

I was more so referencing UFO Defense in my post, but whatever.

Someone must have told him "you can never be over prepared in X-COM", and he decided to challenge that belief.

Hoo boy, reminds me of the first time I got the Tactical Rigging upgrade. YOU GET NEEDLE/STEALTH GRENADES. LOOK UNDER YOUR SEAT, YOU GET NEEDLE/STEALTH GRENADES! NEEDLE/STEALTH GRENADES FOR EVERYONE!

Then I realized how absolutely crap needle/stealth grenades are.

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member
I was more so referencing UFO Defense in my post, but whatever.

Hoo boy, reminds me of the first time I got the Tactical Rigging upgrade. YOU GET NEEDLE/STEALTH GRENADES. LOOK UNDER YOUR SEAT, YOU GET NEEDLE/STEALTH GRENADES! NEEDLE/STEALTH GRENADES FOR EVERYONE!

Then I realized how absolutely crap needle/stealth grenades are.
Their only crap when you don't use it right. Ghost grenades are AMAZING whenever a soldier is low health and flanked by an enemy and if i am correct dont needle grenades do extra damage to targets but dont work if there is cover am i right on that.

Taxor_the_First

You say that like it's a bad thing. I remember once relying on that happening when I suppressed an enemy, destroying the wall behind him and giving one of my other soldiers a view. It was risky, but less risky than letting them live for another turn.
Although I have to admit, it is a bit OP, realistically. And I too did wonder how those practice targets survived those shots.
Their only crap when you don't use it right. Ghost grenades are AMAZING whenever a soldier is low health and flanked by an enemy and if i am correct dont needle grenades do extra damage to targets but dont work if there is cover am i right on that.
I personally don't use either of these because needle grenades do exactly what you said and are therefore garbage, and ghost grenades are either too expensive or would take up a necessary slot. By the time I could bring one with me, I usually have ghost armor, which I prefer over the grenade.

I ran into something rather strange a few days ago. I had a snap-shot Col. sniper with ghost armor on, and I moved her into half-cover to help deal with a Sectopod. Out of curiosity, I checked her defense - 110. I later moved her to full cover - 70. Explain to me how, even with the Maj. sniper ability, this works.

BMPixy

I ran into something rather strange a few days ago. I had a snap-shot Col. sniper with ghost armor on, and I moved her into half-cover to help deal with a Sectopod. Out of curiosity, I checked her defense - 110. I later moved her to full cover - 70. Explain to me how, even with the Maj. sniper ability, this works.

Was aiming angles on? That could explain it.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
I've used needle grenades as a means to take down targets in UFO missions without damaging the ship, and I've found ghost grenades to be wonderful for setting up traps, even later in the game when I had ghost armor.
You say that like it's a bad thing. I remember once relying on that happening when I suppressed an enemy, destroying the wall behind him and giving one of my other soldiers a view. It was risky, but less risky than letting them live for another turn.
Although I have to admit, it is a bit OP, realistically. And I too did wonder how those practice targets survived those shots.
It's fine when you get lucky and it works in your favor, but more often then not, it's the aliens that benefit. I can't begin to count the number of times an alien shot a single shot at a solid wall, and destroyed my cover, leaving a soldier completely exposed, not to mention how often a small fire disintegrates my cover at the end of a turn like paper-mâché.

It's bad enough the cars blow up easier then in an 80s action movie...
867.png

Taxor_the_First

Was aiming angles on? That could explain it.
Nope. No Second Wave options on that playthrough. Whenever I did, I seemed to lose horribly. Classic Ironman and all. Decided that Vanilla was the best way to go to beat that.
Actually, It might have been Low Profile...
That's the ability, but it says that partial cover is treated as full. That would imply that she'd have a defense of 110 wherever she went, provided she stayed in cover.
The only way I could explain it is by noting that she had more defense when an enemy was visible, and relaxed when there were none around. Which makes no sense.
It's fine when you get lucky and it works in your favor...
XCOM in a nutshell.
I know what you're saying about the fire. Sometimes it's small enough that you don't see it, and then suddenly wonder why the wall your soldier was hiding behind has disintegrated. Then aliens happen, and... well.
Maybe it's not the weapons that do it, but instead the people who built it all. Maybe builders and their contractors are just really slack in the XCOM universe. I recently had a soldier fire a normal assault rifle and was rewarded with a counter in front of them and a door on the way through both smashing into many pieces, and still instakilling the Sectoid on the other end. Shoddy workmanship if I ever saw it.

Frostlich1228

I've used needle grenades as a means to take down targets in UFO missions without damaging the ship, and I've found ghost grenades to be wonderful for setting up traps, even later in the game when I had ghost armor.

It's fine when you get lucky and it works in your favor, but more often then not, it's the aliens that benefit. I can't begin to count the number of times an alien shot a single shot at a solid wall, and destroyed my cover, leaving a soldier completely exposed, not to mention how often a small fire disintegrates my cover at the end of a turn like paper-mâché.

It's bad enough the cars blow up easier then in an 80s action movie...
View attachment 139

Yeah I know how that feels... Operation Burning Ground... Who names these missions? That guy must be from the future or something :/

Status
Not open for further replies.