X-COM THINK TANK (Out of Character Discussion about X-COM and the Series)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member
I wan't to call this a cheep win so badly, but i'm sure that we've done this in xcom at least once.
upload_2014-6-22_22-45-41.jpeg
this what you mean.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Come now, people, didn't anyone ever tell you that if you over-analyze a joke, you ruin it. To quote famed American writer E.B. White: "Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested, and the frog dies of it."

Frostlich1228

Come now, people, didn't anyone ever tell you that if you over-analyze a joke, you ruin it. To quote famed American writer E.B. White: "Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested, and the frog dies of it."

Yeah, Over-Analyzing a joke is only funny if you do it right, Otherwise it just falls on it's face :/

BMPixy

I usually find that comedy is like the world. In going away from the direction you should be, you eventually end up where you were going, and you had a much more interesting and financially expensive journey, though you might be a few years late for that important job interview, and they instead gave it to your worst rival/neighbor.

img-thing

Sorry, think I may have metaphorgotten the point I was trying to make.

Frostlich1228

The Worst feeling in All of X-Com is when you miss a 99% Chance shot... I've done it twice... One was in a moment when I Really Needed that shot to hit... Got one of my guys killed cause of that, And I'll Admit it, I Raged, HARD...

On the Other Hand Landing a 1% chance shot is the best fucking thing ever... I remember during the X-Com Base Assault One of the Security guys finished off a Cyberdisk with a 3% Shot... I immediately Named one of my troops after him... And I nicknamed him 3%...
What a BADASS

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member
If we are gonna do the long war mod I think we should have multiple roles with in the rp because from what i see we may die... a lot
and i mean... A LOT

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
The Worst feeling in All of X-Com is when you miss a 99% Chance shot... I've done it twice... One was in a moment when I Really Needed that shot to hit... Got one of my guys killed cause of that, And I'll Admit it, I Raged, HARD...

On the Other Hand Landing a 1% chance shot is the best fucking thing ever... I remember during the X-Com Base Assault One of the Security guys finished off a Cyberdisk with a 3% Shot... I immediately Named one of my troops after him... And I nicknamed him 3%...
What a BADASS
I can swear that I've missed a 100% shot once. I don't know if there was a glitch or something, all I know is stared at the screen for several seconds, then I paused the game, calmly put the controller down, stood up, and cursed so frantically and for so long that everyone ran into the room to make sure someone wasn't stabbing me to death.

On the other hand, I've had at least one incident where I made an absolute desperate 1% shot, and hit. I was ecstatic.

3qwy6k.jpg

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
If we are gonna do the long war mod I think we should have multiple roles with in the rp because from what i see we may die... a lot
and i mean... A LOT
Good luck convincing Odd to allow that. If I remember correctly, he specifically said one character per person in the season four rules. I'm sure I'm mainly to blame for that specific rule, since by the end of season three, I had my main character, along with two other regular characters, two occasional characters, and at least three short term characters that I can remember. So, uh.....yeah. Sorry about that.

BMPixy

I can swear that I've missed a 100% shot once. I don't know if there was a glitch or something, all I know is stared at the screen for several seconds, then I paused the game, calmly put the controller down, stood up, and cursed so frantically and for so long that everyone ran into the room to make sure someone wasn't stabbing me to death.

On the other hand, I've had at least one incident where I made an absolute desperate 1% shot, and hit. I was ecstatic.

I can top that, I've missed a grenade throw. I blame mods, as I had been fiddling with my copy of XCOM extensively, and I guess one that gave rockets the ability to fire after movement (can't remember where I found it for the life of me) must have put rockets under the same category as grenades or something, as I chuck a crucial alien grenade to finish off the Uber Ethereal, I hear a 'shot wide' and it hits the Muton Elite ten feet to the left instead. Because of that, I effectively lost the mission.

So remember kids, use mods responsibly.

Gahlo

I can top that, I've missed a grenade throw. I blame mods, as I had been fiddling with my copy of XCOM extensively, and I guess one that gave rockets the ability to fire after movement (can't remember where I found it for the life of me) must have put rockets under the same category as grenades or something, as I chuck a crucial alien grenade to finish off the Uber Ethereal, I hear a 'shot wide' and it hits the Muton Elite ten feet to the left instead. Because of that, I effectively lost the mission.

This is one of the reasons I've stopped modding games. The last game I ever modded was back in 2011, the last year I played NWN. The only reason I did so was because the persistent world I played on had an installer that did it all for you.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member

Actually, I've missed with grenades too, and I can't blame it on mods since I don't use them. As we all likely know, a grenade can miss even if it clearly has line of sight if you're one pixel to far to one side or the other and the game claims you can't hit. However, I've learned the hard way that the game will sometimes claim you have a 100% of hitting, even if the enemy isn't in the blast radius, and it'll count as a miss if you try it. Worse yet, where the grenade will land seems to be random.

So, I've had a situation where the enemy wasn't in the blast radius, but the game said I had a 100% chance to hit. Curious, I tossed the grenade, and not only did I miss, the soldier threw the grenade in a completely different direction that I was aiming, so instead of throwing it at the bug eyed alien to the right, he turned to his left and through it at an ally.

To quote Lewis Black in his Red, White, & Screwed special:
"I do believe what happened there was a really great metaphor for the war in Iraq [....]. There was Iraq, with an insane leader, and weapons of mass destruction, or so we were told by our spy network, who did just a cracker-jack job. {....} And then there's Iran, which had an insane leader, just as insane as Iraq, only they actually have access to nuclear materials that they are starting to convert into some kind of a bomb, which they will eventually put into a missile, and five hundred Iranians will throw it at us"

"So I believe it went something like this..."
xcom1-1024x576.jpg

Iran...Iran...
XCOM-Campfire-Gaming-2-5.jpg

...Iran...
Battle-17-Op-Final-Druid-death-of-Farnsworth.jpg

...IRAQ!

Hey guys, I'm watching Odd's Mass Effect 2 vids and I was wanting to know if you see Ash Williams anytime soon. I've seen the part on Horizon but just curious from there onl.

Taxor_the_First

I was waiting for this one to show up. Essentially my Impossible playthrough. Here's an example of what happened regularly;
upload_2014-6-24_21-52-49.png

Yeah.
Kinzie did not have a fun day.
...Sorry, think I may have metaphorgotten the point I was trying to make.
I am in awe of your puns.
I'm sure I'm mainly to blame for that specific rule...
In the words of the Dolphin Overlord, "That was you?!"

So, we're talking about our experiences with explosives/throwables, eh? I got a few.
Like a Smoke Grenade that was thrown into a car and expelled smoke, but only within the car. There was death.
Or a rocket that initially didn't look like it would hit the heavy firing it, but due to the "stepping to the side to fire" animation, it did. There was death.
And then there's the strange behavior of mines, where they sometimes don't blow up when an alien moves across them. As a result of that, an Ethereal that would have died did not. There was death.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
I was waiting for this one to show up. Essentially my Impossible playthrough. Here's an example of what happened regularly;
View attachment 135
Yeah.
Kinzie did not have a fun day.

I am in awe of your puns.

In the words of the Dolphin Overlord, "That was you?!"

So, we're talking about our experiences with explosives/throwables, eh? I got a few.
Like a Smoke Grenade that was thrown into a car and expelled smoke, but only within the car. There was death.
Or a rocket that initially didn't look like it would hit the heavy firing it, but due to the "stepping to the side to fire" animation, it did. There was death.
And then there's the strange behavior of mines, where they sometimes don't blow up when an alien moves across them. As a result of that, an Ethereal that would have died did not. There was death.
...D...Dolphin Overlord?

...so long and thanks for all the fish?

Squee913

Hay everybody so iv been watching another youtuber who is doing another xcom season, and he's using the long war mod for xcom enemy with in.

And a message to Christopher odd, for the long war mod your going to need a lot of soldiers because the long war mod completely change the game.

and here's the youtuber, if you want to see the long war mod in action.

So, I finally finish Season 4 and come here to Lurk, and I see my own video up here... That hits me right in the feel goods :p

I can certainly say that the Long war Mod is amazing for Role Play purposes! It completely changes the game to make it even more tactical and thought provoking. The 8 classes allow you to make highly specialized troops so the role players feel more unique. Most importantly, XP centers more on completing the mission well, than individual kills. This allows me to use support roles as support without obsessing over who gets a kill shot. A rear guard or dedicated Smoke/med support play a vital part in bringing everyone home alive, so it is good that they can earn just as much XP for doing their job.

The best part for the Role Play aspect, I have found, is the number of troops you need. Every trooper needs rest after a mission, so you can't just send the same people over and over. I had three squads of 10 that I rotated out on missions. However, my mission load got so heavy that I just reorganized into 4 squads and higher-ed 10 new soldiers. That is 10 more people on my list that get to role play. Each squad starts to develop it's own culture. Hell, one of my more talented viewers made banners for each squad. There are just soooooo many things long war mod does that would be amazing for this Role Play series! I really hope Christopher picks it up for season 5. I think he would love it to death!

Frostlich1228

So, I finally finish Season 4 and come here to Lurk, and I see my own video up here... That hits me right in the feel goods :p

I can certainly say that the Long war Mod is amazing for Role Play purposes! It completely changes the game to make it even more tactical and thought provoking. The 8 classes allow you to make highly specialized troops so the role players feel more unique. Most importantly, XP centers more on completing the mission well, than individual kills. This allows me to use support roles as support without obsessing over who gets a kill shot. A rear guard or dedicated Smoke/med support play a vital part in bringing everyone home alive, so it is good that they can earn just as much XP for doing their job.

The best part for the Role Play aspect, I have found, is the number of troops you need. Every trooper needs rest after a mission, so you can't just send the same people over and over. I had three squads of 10 that I rotated out on missions. However, my mission load got so heavy that I just reorganized into 4 squads and higher-ed 10 new soldiers. That is 10 more people on my list that get to role play. Each squad starts to develop it's own culture. Hell, one of my more talented viewers made banners for each squad. There are just soooooo many things long war mod does that would be amazing for this Role Play series! I really hope Christopher picks it up for season 5. I think he would love it to death!

The Whole Idea of Fixed Squads sounds really fun! You get Grouped up with 5 other people and you'll have to make friends with them in order to survive and complete the mission, It would also make soldier deaths much, much Sadder because the person has covered you in firefights time and time again and then the Commander throws a new guy into your Well-Knit group and you're suppost to just accept it. It Sounds like it has so much potential for some great Rp! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.