X-COM THINK TANK (Out of Character Discussion about X-COM and the Series)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zain Shah

One thing that really annoys me is that might sound weird is that absolutely love fighting games but I am terrible at them. I can barely land a simple combo on a fighting game and almost always have to play on the lowest difficulty. My problem seems to be my ability to not be able to do directional inputs quickly like a quarter circle forward.

Taxor_the_First

He is probably going to come back here one day thinking it has been deserted for age's and then be all like, holy shit you guy's are still alife?
Honestly, that's probably it. After all, we've kinda hijacked the Think Tank to converse like normal people.
I think Odd is just taking a break from x-com, since he did 3 separate series on it.
It was kinda ridiculous. No idea how he didn't sound like he hated it at the end of them.
Maybe it's the play style, but I just plain suck at it. I try and I try, but I keep dying. And it's that frustrated kind of repeated death, the kind that makes me so angry, that after a while, I start getting worse and worse as my rage builds.
You've never played Payday 2's Framing Frame mission. It is nicknamed "The Friendship Breaker" in some circles. Fuck day 3, man. Nigh impossible to stealth, and even if you do succeed but get caught on your way out you have to just drop everything including the 8 or so bags of gold you have just swept from the guy's vault and go straight back to the beginning of plan B, which involves a lengthy drilling into three doors to find the one behind which the server room lies, then a lengthy hack session during which there are a ridiculous number of cops who like finding power boxes and literally pulling the plug on you. And defending those boxes is a an absolute bitch, even if you came in with heavy weapons and armor and didn't even bother trying to stealth. On Death Wish difficulty? Forget about it. Just no.
And those bags of gold? You thought you could take them with you on your way out? NOPE. You have to leave what you can't carry. Which is about half of it. (EDIT: If you're lucky. You're dashing to a heli at that point, so carrying four bags of gold and thus walking really slow with about 5 Bulldozers after you is a bad move.)

I actually have Dark Souls sitting in my Steam library. Should probably try it sometime. I hear it's good.

Last edited:

Zain Shah

I have been able to control my dark souls anger even though I do not consider myself as a patient gamer. My way of dealing with dark souls is to stop and let my rage cool down because you need a clear head for dark souls otherwise you'll find yourself dying at a very easy point because you're rushing.

Frostlich1228

Honestly, that's probably it. After all, we've kinda hijacked the Think Tank to converse like normal people.

It was kinda ridiculous. No idea how he didn't sound like he hated it at the end of them.

You've never played Payday 2's Framing Frame mission. It is nicknamed "The Friendship Breaker" in some circles. Fuck day 3, man. Nigh impossible to stealth, and even if you do succeed but get caught on your way out you have to just drop everything including the 8 or so bags of gold you have just swept from the guy's vault and go straight back to the beginning of plan B, which involves a lengthy drilling into three doors to find the one behind which the server room lies, then a lengthy hack session during which there are a ridiculous number of cops who like finding power boxes and literally pulling the plug on you. And defending those boxes is a an absolute bitch, even if you came in with heavy weapons and armor and didn't even bother trying to stealth. On Death Wish difficulty? Forget about it. Just no.
And those bags of gold? You thought you could take them with you on your way out? NOPE. You have to leave what you can't carry. Which is about half of it. (EDIT: If you're lucky. You're dashing to a heli at that point, so carrying four bags of gold and thus walking really slow with about 5 Bulldozers after you is a bad move.)

I actually have Dark Souls sitting in my Steam library. Should probably try it sometime. I hear it's good.

Wait a Minute you have it and you're still not playing it? Dude, You're missing out :p
And for Anyone still playing on Xbox 360 ( I am one of them :/ ) I think they are Giving the Original Dark Souls Away for Free to Xbox Gold Members.

Adrammalech

Very impressive. I love your writing style, very action packed with a great way of describing the setting. I really look forward to reading more.

Thanks, I got the general concept from how some shows or movies do fight scenes, switching camera angles quickly to make it seem intense but not restrictive (that and disguising the fact that actors aren't actually kicking the crap out of each other). Some of the memories are a little more cerebral and methodical than that one.

Am I making any sense, or am I just sounding like a jerk that is wining about something they find too hard, so they bash it to make them-self look better? 'Cause one never wants to sound like a winy little bitch, but sometimes, that's the only way it can possibly come out, and I'm afraid that's how I'm sounding right now.

You're not alone, but I've never really liked any game that predicates the fun off of "rebuilding". Unless the penalty for death is small, I just find it annoying to get set back more than 5 or 10 minutes. Maybe it's an age thing, because when I was playing SNES or N64, I didn't mind losing as much even if the checkpoint system was lacking. But nowadays if a game is like oops you fell too far or oops you pushed the wrong key, time to rebuild your entire inventory or redo 20 minutes of stuff you've already beat, I'm just like screw this I have better things to do. I never really buy games predicated off "hardcore mode" for that reason. If the game is really good though, I might give it a more tenacious try. Either way, I get why some people like that sort of thing, it's just not for me.

One thing that really annoys me is that might sound weird is that absolutely love fighting games but I am terrible at them. I can barely land a simple combo on a fighting game and almost always have to play on the lowest difficulty. My problem seems to be my ability to not be able to do directional inputs quickly like a quarter circle forward.

Same here, I could usually beat hard CPUs but if I went anywhere near online it would just be an embarrassment. Sports games I can hardly play past normal, and I've never even thought about going online with that one.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
I'd say the inclusion of a joystick made these a lot easier. I personally like Mortal Kombat 9 because it is very responsive to the joystick, and the combinations for the moves are very similar between characters. Then, of course there's the simple, um, simplicity of Smash Bros.'s controls. I also think the DBZ fighting games are fairly simple. Now when it comes to games like Street Fighter and Soul Caliber, I'm completely with you. I just can't remember all the moves, or execute the combos.

Same here, I could usually beat hard CPUs but if I went anywhere near online it would just be an embarrassment. Sports games I can hardly play past normal, and I've never even thought about going online with that one.
The CPUs have the ability to "cheat" with instant move execution, but other then that, they'll never reach the level of a person. Even on the hardest level's, a CPU's ability to adapt is limited. The can learn to a degree, but unless the game utilizes some feature that pays attention to individual profiles, it isn't going to completely remember your moves. And one thing they'll never do is make a stupid mistake that you don't expect, and ends up helping them. In the end, they're too predictable.

Zain Shah

So is anybody looking forward to destiny? I personally am quite taken away with how much money has been put into the development of the game and the videos so far have been promising.

ChristopherOdd

Commander
Staff member
Meh, I think it's more like he is sick and tired of the game, I mean he did a ton of LP's on it, also like 3 at the same time during the RP. The only think that is disapointing is that we never got to finish that very LP, I mean you get all this new shit. Robots, meld...yeah, but still, all he did was one LP, he should have done a Normal difficulty run at first because of all the new stuff and changes. But oh well.

I actually really miss playing the game on a regular basis.

I'm keeping my eye on the Long War mod. Until it's in more of a completed state I won't be tackling it.

Taxor_the_First

I actually really miss playing the game on a regular basis.

I'm keeping my eye on the Long War mod. Until it's in more of a completed state I won't be tackling it.
SEASON 5 CONFIRMED. Ye of little faith.
So we are waiting for the mod creators to finish it? Welp. Guess we'll be here till next year.
Waitaminute. I just realized who I quoted. This is... unexpected. Welcome. But unexpected. Has he been watching this entire time?!

PrismaCube

SEASON 5 CONFIRMED. Ye of little faith.
So we are waiting for the mod creators to finish it? Welp. Guess we'll be here till next year.
Waitaminute. I just realized who I quoted. This is... unexpected. Welcome. But unexpected. Has he been watching this entire time?!
I hope so, even though i won't be a soldier, but i feel like that if i were to do a soldier i wouldnt see action for half the game and die shortly after I do :D

Status
Not open for further replies.