X-COM THINK TANK (Out of Character Discussion about X-COM and the Series)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahlexpert

Iirc= If I remeber correctly

or do you mean what he is waiting on?
Sorry xD
Then that would be for Long War I guess, since it still isnt out of beta testing and such.

Well, if Odd is waiting for the long war mod for enemy with in,that will ex plane why he's taking so long.

PrismaCube

Well, if Odd is waiting for the long war mod for enemy with in,that will ex plane why he's taking so long.

Meh, I think it's more like he is sick and tired of the game, I mean he did a ton of LP's on it, also like 3 at the same time during the RP. The only think that is disapointing is that we never got to finish that very LP, I mean you get all this new shit. Robots, meld...yeah, but still, all he did was one LP, he should have done a Normal difficulty run at first because of all the new stuff and changes. But oh well.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
I do hope we get at least one more season for Enemy Within. I'd like a run with Long War, but I read that it's supposed to be harder then impossible in the regular game. I read an FAQ on it, and they suggested that no matter how good you are at the game, you should start with normal.
Personally, I'd be happier with a successful Enemy Within run before he goes to Long War.

PrismaCube

I don't think Chris would forget about us :/

He is probably going to come back here one day thinking it has been deserted for age's and then be all like, holy shit you guy's are still alife? We be all like, yeah man, we stay true and loyal fan's of the series, and then he be all like, here let me make another LP for you guy's you've deserved it. :D

Zain Shah

I think he originally stopped the series because it was basically xcom overload with every day consisting of an xcom video so after he cools off a bit and when the game releases slow down, he's going to play.

PrismaCube

Makes Sense, Also I'm not surprised that he can't pull himself away from Dark Souls 2, Just finished it yesterday myself :3

Yeah never played that, but watched a couple of vids on it and really want to play but I just don't know if it's worth so....is it worth it? I need more detail then a simple yes.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Yeah never played that, but watched a couple of vids on it and really want to play but I just don't know if it's worth so....is it worth it? I need more detail then a simple yes.
You know, when it came out, I figured I'd get the first game and, if I liked it, I'd buy the second one, but honestly.....you know, my reason for this is gonna make me sound bad, but I can't stand it. I'm no expert, but I consider myself a pretty good gamer (I ought to be after nearly two and half decades). But Dark Souls? DAMN IT, it's hard! And I know that's the point of it, but crap, man. Maybe it's the play style, but I just plain suck at it. I try and I try, but I keep dying. And it's that frustrated kind of repeated death, the kind that makes me so angry, that after a while, I start getting worse and worse as my rage builds. I just hate gathering a bunch of souls, and then making a simple mistake on an enemy I've killed 100 times with no problem that kills me before I can reclaim them. And you know, FUCK that dragon, cause I didn't know he was gonna swoop down and flame that damn bridge right after the boss fight, before I could get to a fire.

...ahem, sorry for ranting there. In all, I think there is a good game in there, a great game even, but the difficulty is on a level that, for me personally, makes it just plain unfun. For me, there are very, VERY few games that I either never finish, or sell to GameStop immediately after beating, because for the most part, I always try to hold on to a game until I'm absolutely sure I'm not going to play it again. That list of games now includes Dragon Ball Z: Sagas, Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light, and Dark Souls.

Last edited:

Frostlich1228

You know, when it came out, I figured I'd get the first game and, if I liked it, I'd buy the second one, but honestly.....you know, my reason for this is gonna make me sound bad, but I can't stand it. I'm no expert, but I consider myself a pretty good gamer (I ought to be after nearly two and half decades). But Dark Souls? DAMN IT, it's hard! And I know that's the point of it, but crap, man. Maybe it's the play style, but I just plain suck at it. I try and I try, but I keep dying. And it's that frustrated kind of repeated death, the kind that makes me so angry, that after a while, I start getting worse and worse as my rage builds. I just hate gathering a bunch of souls, and then making a simple mistake on an enemy I've killed 100 times with no problem that kills me before I can reclaim them. And you know, FUCK that dragon, cause I didn't know he was gonna swoop down and flame that damn bridge right after the boss fight, before I could get to a fire.

...ahem, sorry for ranting there. In all, I think there is a good game in there, a great game even, but the difficulty is on a level that, for me personally, makes it just plain unfun. For me, there are very, VERY few games that I either never finish, or sell to GameStop immediately after beating, because for the most part, I always try to hold on to a game until I'm absolutely sure I'm not going to play it again. That list of games now includes Dragon Ball Z: Sagas, Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light, and Dark Souls.

You See, A lot of People Don't understand that Dark Souls is a Test of Endurance. Yeah you'll Die a lot, That was actually the game's Slogan, " Prepare to Die ", It Isn't about going through the game without getting killed, it's about Learning from your Mistakes and never Giving up when you do die 500 times on one boss. I See a lot of people say that Dark Souls is Cheap, but those people don't understand that " Cheap " and " Hard " are two completely different things, In a Cheap game you'll die over and over again when it's not your fault, say if there is a Water level that is designed really poorly, But in a Hard game, You know that if you Die, It's your fault, Not the Game's, Like you said Zombie when that Enemy you've killed a Billion times kills you, it Killed you because got mad and that caused you to make dumb mistakes. But in Dark Souls getting mad is kind of a inevitability, My best advice would be to just take breaks every once and awhile, it really helps you clear your head and play your best. I remember in Dark Souls 2, There was this Boss called the Executioner's Chariot, It killed me over and over and over again, it killed me so many times that the Enemies in the Area had stopped Spawning because I'd killed them so much, So I decided to take a break for the day and come back tomorrow, and when I came back I beat him in the first try. Yes, It's a Hard game, but people don't play it to be Masochists, People play it for that " I Finally Beat that Fucker! " Feeling, There is nothing better than that :)

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
You See, A lot of People Don't understand that Dark Souls is a Test of Endurance. Yeah you'll Die a lot, That was actually the game's Slogan, " Prepare to Die ", It Isn't about going through the game without getting killed, it's about Learning from your Mistakes and never Giving up when you do die 500 times on one boss. I See a lot of people say that Dark Souls is Cheap, but those people don't understand that " Cheap " and " Hard " are two completely different things, In a Cheap game you'll die over and over again when it's not your fault, say if there is a Water level that is designed really poorly, But in a Hard game, You know that if you Die, It's your fault, Not the Game's, Like you said Zombie when that Enemy you've killed a Billion times kills you, it Killed you because got mad and that caused you to make dumb mistakes. But in Dark Souls getting mad is kind of a inevitability, My best advice would be to just take breaks every once and awhile, it really helps you clear your head and play your best. I remember in Dark Souls 2, There was this Boss called the Executioner's Chariot, It killed me over and over and over again, it killed me so many times that the Enemies in the Area had stopped Spawning because I'd killed them so much, So I decided to take a break for the day and come back tomorrow, and when I came back I beat him in the first try. Yes, It's a Hard game, but people don't play it to be Masochists, People play it for that " I Finally Beat that Fucker! " Feeling, There is nothing better than that :)

No, no, I get what you saying. I understand the whole endurance thing, and maybe my problem is a lack of patience. It's just...sometimes I do feel like some of the game is being cheap. For example, when I inch forward to draw out an enemy away from his friends (and that's tedious as all, having to move an inch at a time because the enemies are so annoying when they team up), and suddenly, two or three of the enemies run at me despite the fact that I'm standing in the same place that always caused only one to run forward. And then there was that dragon attack on the bridge, you can't deny that was cheap as hell.

Sometimes, I feel like the game is using the "your going to die a lot" to troll you, like with the dragon, or the skeletons in the graveyard, or the damn ghosts. You know, like a guy speaking into a mic, saying, "Yeah, you can go down there!", and then you attack a ghost, your sword goes right through it, but somehow it hits you. The guy covers the mic, and he and his friends laugh hysterically at you. Then, trying to hide his laughter, he say, "Uh oh, your in trouble! Look, a path, run down it. Oops, dead end, and the path is too narrow to get pastt the ghost. But that's the name of the game!"

And while they're laughing even harder at you, you say, "Well that's true, I should have known better, and you did say I'd die a lot."

And he say, "Yeah, whatever, moron."

"What did you say?"

"I said that's the spirit, champion!"

I'm sorry, I don't mean to sound cynical, I really don't, and if you like this game, despite all my bitching and moaning, I understand way you like it, I really do. It's just, at least to me, this game feels like one of those "I'm gonna piss you off" games like Default Dan or Eryi's Action, or a mod your friend makes for the original Super Mario Bros., where he adds blocks and enemies in places that add difficulty, not in a way that adds a fair challenge, but in a way that is meant to dick around with you, let him laugh when you die, and make you ask him, "Why are you making me play this? Why do I hang out with you?"

Am I making any sense, or am I just sounding like a jerk that is wining about something they find too hard, so they bash it to make them-self look better? 'Cause one never wants to sound like a winy little bitch, but sometimes, that's the only way it can possibly come out, and I'm afraid that's how I'm sounding right now.

Last edited:

Frostlich1228

No, no, I get what you saying. I understand the whole endurance thing, and maybe my problem is a lack of patience. It's just...sometimes I do feel like some of the game is being cheap. For example, when I inch forward to draw out an enemy away from his friends (and that's tedious as all, having to move an inch at a time because the enemies are so annoying when they team up), and suddenly, two or three of the enemies run at me despite the fact that I'm standing in the same place that always caused only one to run forward. And then there was that dragon attack on the bridge, you can't deny that was cheap as hell.

Sometimes, I feel like the game is using the "your going to die a lot" to troll you, like with the dragon, or the skeletons in the graveyard, or the damn ghosts. You know, like a guy speaking into a mic, saying, "Yeah, you can go down there!", and then you attack a ghost, your sword goes right through it, but somehow it hits you. The guy covers the mic, and he and his friends laugh hysterically at you. Then, trying to hide his laughter, he say, "Uh oh, your in trouble! Look, a path, run down it. Oops, dead end, and the path is too narrow to get pastt the ghost. But that's the name of the game!"

And while they're laughing even harder at you, you say, "Well that's true, I should have known better, and you did say I'd die a lot."

And he say, "Yeah, whatever, moron."

"What did you say?"

"I said that's the spirit, champion!"

I'm sorry, I don't mean to sound cynical, I really don't, and if you like this game, despite all my bitching and moaning, I understand way you like it, I really do. It's just, at least to me, this game feels like one of those "I'm gonna piss you off" games like Default Dan or Eryi's Action, or a mod your friend makes for the original Super Mario Bros., where he adds blocks and enemies in places that add difficulty, not in a way that adds a fair challenge, but in a way that is meant to dick around with you, let him laugh when you die, and make you ask him, "Why are you making me play this? Why do I hang out with you?"

Am I making any sense, or am I just sounding like a jerk that is wining about something they find too hard, so they bash it to make them-self look better? 'Cause one never wants to sound like a winy little bitch, but sometimes, that's the only way it can possibly come out, and I'm afraid that's how I'm sounding right now.

Well, Some people like different things and I'm not about to get on you for disliking it, I was just trying to explain to you why I love the Souls Series, Wouldn't Have played through Dark Souls One 20 times if I didn't :3

Also I know about the Dragon on the Bridge or the Ghosts, But The Bridge Dragon part gives you a lot of hints about it, ( The Charred Bridge, The Burned Bodies, The Online Messages People leave ) It takes a good eye to Piece those bits together, Also About the Ghosts, They give you the Item to fight the ghosts in that Area and in the description of said item they tell you that, " You have to be Cursed to fight ghosts, This will curse you. " The Game Developers just expect you to look at the Items when you pick them up, It's a good Habit to get into :p

Last edited:

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Well, Some people like different things and I'm not about to get on you for disliking it, I was just trying to explain to you why I love the Souls Series, Wouldn't Have played through Dark Souls One 20 times if I didn't :3
Well, then, I will just have to concede that you are my superior in this game type of game, as well as anyone else who can rock this game.To each their own.

Personally, I'm just gonna stick to RPGs...and TPSs...and FPSs...and fighting games...and tactical games...you know, things I don't suck at, and make me feel like I'm gonna pull my hair out of my head...

.....where's my Wii, I think I'm gonna play Super Smash Bros. to cheer myself up...

Frostlich1228

Well, then, I will just have to concede that you are my superior in this game type of game, as well as anyone else who can rock this game.To each their own.

Personally, I'm just gonna stick to RPGs...and TPSs...and FPSs...and fighting games...and tactical games...you know, things I don't suck at, and make me feel like I'm gonna pull my hair out of my head...

.....where's my Wii, I think I'm gonna play Super Smash Bros. to cheer myself up...

Nothing a good round of SSB can't fix :p

Status
Not open for further replies.