X-COM THINK TANK (Out of Character Discussion about X-COM and the Series)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't wait to roleplay Michael Angel seeing one of those things for the first time.

...Actually, I probably could. I want to wait a long time before we fight them.

Dragonivon

I would hardly call this: covert.

If a building blows up in the city but there is no one left alive to hear it, does it really make a sound? And what news stories would be allowed to be broadcast about them? If you look at the EXALT base epilogue, there's obviously a lot of spin still happening though it's accepted that everyone knows the aliens are around, just not always the extent of the damage.

But you are probably right. All the alien abduction sites should be reported on, all the countries should have faith in XCOM since they have no other better plans, and the news should always be trying to tell everyone what happens everywhere without bias or influence even if it does cause rioting and panic in the streets. Speaking of panic, next episode coming up soon!

Wedgekree

Just checking on my character's (C.E.'s) status - two kills, in the medbay for 12 days and gravely injured, right? And kill was a Floater? Wasn't sure what the other gnarly thing she got was. Also congrats Concerto for surviving!

Last edited:

Dahlexpert

Hay guys Dhalexpert here, and I want to introduce you guys to my new character for next season.So my character for next season will be a some what an evil character,well she's evil but not evil her goal is to recreate the pirate civilization and remake Nassau and bring back the pirate way of life.And the reason i'm making this character is so odd gets a even more motivation to try to save every country and try to make him save more civilians.And the reason i'm bringing up civilians is because if odd saves more civilians in one country and less in another people will start to question certain things.And her name is Eva if you have questions about this character pleas ask me.

Dragonivon

So my character for next season will be a some what an evil character,well she's evil but not evil her goal is to recreate the pirate civilization and remake Nassau and bring back the pirate way of life.

Not to diminish someone who is trying to make sure they have a future in a criminal culture, piracy might not exactly be that viable a framework in a modern society. Or at best it would be a very chaotic and an easily overthrown governmental structure through either organized military or even economic means. The closest thing we have currently to a 'pirate culture' in the modern world are warlord holdings in Somalia. It's a bit early to be thinking about next season since it will literally be months or even nearly a year before the next season occurs (barring catastrophic failure) but it should give you a lot of time to flesh out your concept.

Dragonivon, just curious, if Zhang is still alive when I get hired, what would he assume about Michael Angel based solely on his name? I'd like to see if we could collaborate on a "meeting the squad" journal for me if I ever get in.

Dahlexpert

Not to diminish someone who is trying to make sure they have a future in a criminal culture, piracy might not exactly be that viable a framework in a modern society. Or at best it would be a very chaotic and an easily overthrown governmental structure through either organized military or even economic means. The closest thing we have currently to a 'pirate culture' in the modern world are warlord holdings in Somalia. It's a bit early to be thinking about next season since it will literally be months or even nearly a year before the next season occurs (barring catastrophic failure) but it should give you a lot of time to flesh out your concept.
I''m still working out the kinks for this character but the Idea for her is to have a threat after the war,and have her take a country that the aliens destroyed,but then again 4 months from now I might change her completely,and make her a pure solider but this was to let people no that i'm thinking of next season and the troubles that come with it.

Dragonivon

Dragonivon, just curious, if Zhang is still alive when I get hired, what would he assume about Michael Angel based solely on his name? I'd like to see if we could collaborate on a "meeting the squad" journal for me if I ever get in.

He probably wouldn't assume anything. Angel could mean anything from celestial being to winged mutant to merely a messenger to slang for PCP. He might assume it's a nickname or callsign, if so he likely would think he's air support or a medic. He also thinks that English is an imprecise language and unless you called yourself Tianshi (Angel) then he probably wouldn't really assign anything to it.

Whenever Angel shows up, assuming Zhang is still alive, feel free to throw me a line and we will do some side RP. Though I'll warn you, Zhang isn't exactly Mr. Warm-and-Fuzzy himself. And currently he has the honor of being the most hated soldier on the base and considered to be bringing them bad luck. We will see how long that lasts, but makes for good RP as well.

He probably wouldn't assume anything. Angel could mean anything from celestial being to winged mutant to merely a messenger to slang for PCP. He might assume it's a nickname or callsign, if so he likely would think he's air support or a medic. He also thinks that English is an imprecise language and unless you called yourself Tianshi (Angel) then he probably wouldn't really assign anything to it.

Whenever Angel shows up, assuming Zhang is still alive, feel free to throw me a line and we will do some side RP. Though I'll warn you, Zhang isn't exactly Mr. Warm-and-Fuzzy himself. And currently he has the honor of being the most hated soldier on the base and considered to be bringing them bad luck. We will see how long that lasts, but makes for good RP as well.
I'm loving the "thinking it's a call sign or nickname" idea. Also, yeah, I'm willing to bet Zhang isn't all smiles and sunshine, but it's kind of the point. :D

Hokucho

I'm waiting to find a good time to interact with Zhang myself, see how that pans out. Also, is anyone noticing within the past two weeks that everyone (who isn't dying) is suddenly getting MORE gung-ho about taking out the aliens? GO GO TEAM X-COM!

Adrammalech

Hay guys Dhalexpert here, and I want to introduce you guys to my new character for next season.So my character for next season will be a some what an evil character,well she's evil but not evil her goal is to recreate the pirate civilization and remake Nassau and bring back the pirate way of life.And the reason i'm making this character is so odd gets a even more motivation to try to save every country and try to make him save more civilians.And the reason i'm bringing up civilians is because if odd saves more civilians in one country and less in another people will start to question certain things.And her name is Eva if you have questions about this character pleas ask me.

What would be the character's motivation for joining XCOM? I don't know how much XCOM pays, but I doubt its well publicized and just doing actual piracy would probably be easier, and possibly safer and more profitable as well.

S

Sarge-Pepper

What would be the character's motivation for joining XCOM? I don't know how much XCOM pays, but I doubt its well publicized and just doing actual piracy would probably be easier, and possibly safer and more profitable as well.

Especially with the amount of pure carnage going on in certain areas. Places on high alert leads to looting and rioting, people paniking leads to security risks and not looking where they are supposed to.

Honestly, it would be better for the Pirates to stay away from fighting aliens, as they could rise to power very quickly by staying organizing and making strikes on high value targets to steal them

I don't think the character concept it very sustainable or even valid at this juncture.

Now, if they were a higher ranked Pirate from Somalia or another ocean bordered African country, ti might be easier to show them as trying to turn over a new leaf and leave that life behind, or even being forced to do so as a prisoner exchange (Like Steve was), maybe serve with us or that death sentence/hands getting lopped off goes through.

Dragonivon

I'm waiting to find a good time to interact with Zhang myself, see how that pans out. Also, is anyone noticing within the past two weeks that everyone (who isn't dying) is suddenly getting MORE gung-ho about taking out the aliens? GO GO TEAM X-COM!

Throw me a PM anytime, Zhang may be wounded but he is not letting himself get locked down into the medbay. If I were being honest, its' because so many evidently hate him and he doesn't want to be caught anywhere sleeping with an IV in him. Way way way too easy to get killed like that. Besides, they only shot his right shoulder and he's got inhuman vitality (really, he has more HP than anyone in the game) so his legs are fine. Probably will be another episode or 2 before he's deemed 'ready to fight' again so he can get more scars.

Dragonivon

Actually, this is an excellent point. Especially with EXALT being an alien technological splinter cell, modern pirates might find they can make a king's ransom selling alien artifacts to EXALT. The doubtlessly would be trying to hire mercenaries and anyone with a rocket launcher and expendable troops to help add to their technological cache. Throw on top of that the destruction happening worldwide, looters would have a field day just as long as they can avoid getting killed by aliens.

The Triads are acting like one of those groups, selling alien technology bits and pieces to the highest bidder (again, most likely EXALT) and that's what Zhang decided to act against. He thinks more long term and about how you have to win the war to truly profit afterwards. It's not that he grew a conscience or anything, he just found it tactically unwise to not win the war you are in first before profiteering off of it.

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member
Has anyone tried offering them a cookie maybe, I mean if this happens everytime aliens come to Earth, E.T must've seen some shit.

Dahlexpert

the Characters motives for joining X-COM is so she can hide from the aliens. Because the aliens are putting a damper on her plans and once she's in X-COM she will see the doom tracker and use it a map to see which countries are right for the pickings after the war,and if she lives long enough she will see all of X-COMs advance tech,and try to take it after the invasion.

Dragonivon

the Characters motives for joining X-COM is so she can hide from the aliens. Because the aliens are putting a damper on her plans and once she's in X-COM she will see the doom tracker and use it a map to see which countries are right for the pickings after the war,and if she lives long enough she will see all of X-COMs advance tech,and try to take it after the invasion.

Great plan if you are involved in organized crime on a large scale... not that Zhang would know anything about that sort of thing... but I think your term of 'piracy' is throwing others off a good bit. While being able to direct looting caravans (naval and otherwise) to recently cleaned out sectors has short-term profits, the real profits are in getting paid for the rebuilding and during reconstruction rebuilding the cities to your best advantage. Not only that but with the local and national governments in disarray, back a few charismatic puppets and make them seem like heroes of the rebuilding effort and then implant them into the government. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

There's certainly a thousand ways to profiteer off of the destruction the aliens are bringing; however, your plan seems to be establishing a small sovereign nation of looters and pirates and inevitably mercenaries. The only way for THAT to work is if you are hired by a larger nation to 'quell disruptive forces' and given a modern-day 'letter of marque'. I'm not saying it can't work, I'm just saying that there's a reason that the pirates were ousted from Nassau. Perhaps you might learn from the mistakes of history.

Status
Not open for further replies.