X-COM THINK TANK (Out of Character Discussion about X-COM and the Series)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACisHere

Is it really a surprise when the first assault dies anymore? Seriously happens every season.
I hadn't noticed that. That's a very intriguing fact! Worth studying. Maybe it's more likely to happen to assaults because of Run and Gun usage?

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member
Hey guys look at it this way, even though we lost 2 people and earth is over run by aliens at least they won't be making any new Keeping up with the kardasian series or any miley cyrus songs anytime soon. I mean always look at the bright side right? Right?

Gahlo

I hadn't noticed that. That's a very intriguing fact! Worth studying. Maybe it's more likely to happen to assaults because of Run and Gun usage?
Exactly. They're more likely to be overextended due to Run 'n Gun than any other soldier in Odd's playstyle to prohibit aliens from firing on their turn. With the ability roulette it's even worse, because they tend to not have other defensive abilities put into the class to make them relatively safer in closer ranges.

Honestly, it's the reasons I prefer sticking assaults with rifles until carapace armor.

PrismaCube

Exactly. They're more likely to be overextended due to Run 'n Gun than any other soldier in Odd's playstyle to prohibit aliens from firing on their turn. With the ability roulette it's even worse, because they tend to not have other defensive abilities put into the class to make them relatively safer in closer ranges.

Honestly, it's the reasons I prefer sticking assaults with rifles until carapace armor.

Or OR! It could be because Odd gives a gun instead of a shotgun to his assault in the last couple of playthroughs, just saying was a major deal last season xD

ACisHere

And here is finally the bonus I have been talking about \o/

The Behind-the-scene of writing Rebecca Robinson (<- this is a link)

A lot of readings for you if you want to know about all the work that went into creating and developing this character. Of course, it spoils heavily and explain clearly tons of stuff that are only implied in the journals. Read at your own leisure :D

You did a really great job this season. I was really looking forward to interacting with Rebecca. She was complex and well designed.

The only thing I didn't really like about the background document dealt with all the references to anime shows, etc. While I understand we are all influenced by the characters and media we've consumed before, making everything about her a comparison hides your creativity involved in making this character. Furthermore, it can invite unwanted leaps in judgement. (I really disliked Gunslinger Girl because of the sickening fawning of the girls for their handlers' attention. If the anime hadn't been referenced directly by you, I wouldn't have connected the two at all. I didn't see any of that kind of behavior in Rebecca.)

Since Rebecca is dead, I think it's okay for me to mention that had we met in the role play, I was considering the idea of Annette becoming attracted to her. Not sure how you would have taken that with your asexual character, but it could have created some interesting situations!

Overall, the loss of Rebecca is a huge blow to the season. Your journals were top-notch, well-thought-out, and intriguing. Great work. While Annette cannot miss you, I sure can.

<3

MenacingTaquito

I stop paying attention to GLG for 3 days...
I Stopped for a month, dear god what have have i been missing!

Hey guys look at it this way, even though we lost 2 people and earth is over run by aliens at least they won't be making any new Keeping up with the kardasian series or any miley cyrus songs anytime soon. I mean always look at the bright side right? Right?

I Swear to god i thought they were thin women?

Last edited:

Taxor_the_First

Welcome to Who's Line is it, X-Com Edition.

And Remember, You're points will be melted down into Mec Trooper Suits after the Show. :p
And the points don't matter.
That's right, if the points were an ability, they'd be Executioner.
Seriously, why would you take that over Opportunist? Most enemies below 50% health can be easily killed by a Support or something, who generally have OP aim anyway.
"That's just my opinion though, no need to go spreading it around."

Gahlo

And the points don't matter.
That's right, if the points were an ability, they'd be Executioner.
Seriously, why would you take that over Opportunist? Most enemies below 50% health can be easily killed by a Support or something, who generally have OP aim anyway.
"That's just my opinion though, no need to go spreading it around."
Lategame enemies, such as Sectopods with 30, have massive health pools. For Squadsight snipers, they probably aren't in overwatch very often anyway.

Suryce

Game Master
You did a really great job this season. I was really looking forward to interacting with Rebecca. She was complex and well designed.

The only thing I didn't really like about the background document dealt with all the references to anime shows, etc. While I understand we are all influenced by the characters and media we've consumed before, making everything about her a comparison hides your creativity involved in making this character. Furthermore, it can invite unwanted leaps in judgement. (I really disliked Gunslinger Girl because of the sickening fawning of the girls for their handlers' attention. If the anime hadn't been referenced directly by you, I wouldn't have connected the two at all. I didn't see any of that kind of behavior in Rebecca.)

Since Rebecca is dead, I think it's okay for me to mention that had we met in the role play, I was considering the idea of Annette becoming attracted to her. Not sure how you would have taken that with your asexual character, but it could have created some interesting situations!

Overall, the loss of Rebecca is a huge blow to the season. Your journals were top-notch, well-thought-out, and intriguing. Great work. While Annette cannot miss you, I sure can.

<3

Yeah, I get your point. Maybe I should have detailed this part a bit more, to make it clear what inspired what exactly, and what is purely original in the character (basically almost everything related to Rebecca's reasonable side of her personality, and of course even her insanity is molded the way I like it). Or I could have presented it differently to empathize my thinking process in the creation of the character, but I already gave a basic explanation of it in the Concept section.
As for Gunslinger Girls in particular, it's not an inspiration I used, it's just when discussing Rebecca's application during the recruitment, someone in this thread noticed that this was an anime with characters who technically are child soldiers. That's as far as the connection goes. Maybe I shouldn't even have mentioned it in the document.

On the subject of romance, I was really waiting for someone to hit on Rebecca, in fact :D (and that's kind of why I didn't corrected Sarge-Pepper when he had his character claiming that's Rebecca is attractive, even though my own narrative contradicts it). That's how I had planned to reveal her asexuality and it would have definitely led to interesting interactions. As explained in the document, Rebecca is supposed to be impossible to have a romance with, so it probably wouldn't have led anywhere. I like the idea of a female character that can't be taken down that road, making the love of anybody for her unrequited. :D

I'm glad you liked the character, good luck with yours o/

Status
Not open for further replies.