X-COM THINK TANK (Out of Character Discussion about X-COM and the Series)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psilon

If any does want to collaborate with me, whether relating to the mission or with the MEC augmentation, I'd be glad to. I'm currently collaborating with too_spooked and Suryce, so I might have space for one more.

Also, this is required

Eh...if I may, I'd like to collaborate with you on how you were prepared for MEC augmentation. I have an idea, that would involve Vahlen, Shen and the unfortunate gui...volunteer, if you feel like collaborating.

PrinceZarek

Eh...if I may, I'd like to collaborate with you on how you were prepared for MEC augmentation. I have an idea, that would involve Vahlen, Shen and the unfortunate gui...volunteer, if you feel like collaborating.

I'd be happy to. I'm getting all sorts of collaboration requests so I think it could work. You'd be the final one for this week, since I don't want to create a huge collaboration group and risk it not coming out as well as everyone hoped.

Psilon

Ahh, thats fine then.
Okay then. I have an exam tomorrow afternoon, and after I'm done with that I'm available for the collaboration any time (though I would also like to pester BMPixy on whether we have different opinions on how things will go. Or anyone else who wants to be involved in the mechanization really... is too_spooked hanging in that area (if I may ask)?

Psilon

Don't rush it...or you might end up like PrinceZarek. Let things calm down, allow our respected commander to hack off as many limbs as he wants to, and jump in after it's certain you're safe.

PrinceZarek

Okay then. I have an exam tomorrow afternoon, and after I'm done with that I'm available for the collaboration any time (though I would also like to pester BMPixy on whether we have different opinions on how things will go. Or anyone else who wants to be involved in the mechanization really... is too_spooked hanging in that area (if I may ask)?
Sounds great, and yes, too_spooked and I were talking about his character Roger prepping me for the augmentation after Dr. Shen had told me what the procedure entails.

Psilon

Hmm...I'd like to cut in somewhere in between, working with Shen or Roger for the issue of the neural interface your character would need to control hisnew limbs. More specifically I think it would be interesting to discuss the procedures involved in gathering the data the engineering team would need to configure the neural input Arsene'd be putting into the mech (which axon goes where, for every single axon that goes into your limbs).
I'll get back in touch tomorrow. Please don't do anything without me (sorry to rush off like this, but I have to get some good night's sleep before tomorrow's exam).

too_spooked

Hmm...I'd like to cut in somewhere in between, working with Shen or Roger for the issue of the neural interface your character would need to control hisnew limbs. More specifically I think it would be interesting to discuss the procedures involved in gathering the data the engineering team would need to configure the neural input Arsene'd be putting into the mech (which axon goes where, for every single axon that goes into your limbs).
I'll get back in touch tomorrow. Please don't do anything without me (sorry to rush off like this, but I have to get some good night's sleep before tomorrow's exam).

Don't worry Psilon, if we're going to do a large collaboration with many people, we have to sure as many of us are online as possible. We should probably organize and time where we're all online so we can discuss it a bit more.

I'll be home from exams at around 11-12, so any time after then is fine for me.

PrinceZarek

I was going to message Odd this, but I thought I'd share it with everyone and get your opinions. As I stated earlier, with Training Roulette in effect, there is the risk of not having someone on hand with great healing abilities. To remedy this, I propose the following build for my MEC.

MEC Trooper Abilities

Squaddie; Collateral Damage
Corporal; Advanced Fire Control; with a great aim stat, you definitely don't want to penalize it
Sergeant; Vital-Point Targeting; the added damage could mean life or death, 6-8 damage with the default mini-gun is huge early game
Lieutenant; Jet-boot Module; an easy choice, Alloy SHIVs can provide half-cover in a pinch, anyway
Captain; Expanded Storage; +6 Health per battle is great, but not compared to the AoE healing abilities when combined with Restorative Mist, and extra mines/grenades. Plus +50% base ammo is very useful, especially when using Collateral Damage, which uses up two normal shots.
Major; Overdrive
Colonel; Reactive Targeting Sensors; once again with high aim, this is another good choice

MEC Upgrades

MEC-1 Warden; Kinetic Strike Module; This is superior to the flamethrower in many ways, it gives +3 movement, does 18 damage when fully upgraded and has infinite uses. With Advanced Servomotors, another +3 movement is gained, for a total of +6. The flamethrower is useful, especially early game as it can instantly kill Thin Men groups even on Impossible and against charging chrysalids, but the same damage could be done by using a rocket. (this assumes the heavy is already in position of course)

MEC-2 Sentinel; Restorative Mist; the purpose of this build, it restores +4 health to the MEC and all units with 2 tiles, can be upgraded to +6 and gains an additional use due to Expanded Storage. With Distortion Field from the Support Class, all nearby units in cover within 4 tiles gain +10 defense, so this is also a bonus. (note this ability can't stabilize critically wounded soldiers so a spare med-kit should be carried by someone else in the squad in case this happens) Also MECs and SHIVs can be repaired by Arc Throwers for +6 health once the SHIV Repair project is done.

MEC-3 Paladin; Electro Pulse; does 5 damage to all units (including friendlies) within 4 tiles, and shuts down robotic enemies for a turn.
While the Proximity Mines are very good, they're best used with a MEC with the Grenade/Mine combo to provide the best damage.

This is a suggested build. It is only an idea on how to create a dedicated medic/support MEC, instead of relying on Training Roulette, because getting Field Medic, Revive, Savior, and Deep Pockets all on one soldier is nigh improbable. This also assumes that I survive long enough to make Colonel, though I have faith in our Commander's tactical prowess :D

Also, it takes 210 Meld to get a soldier augmented and fully upgraded to a MEC-3, just something to keep in mind when considering MECs or gene mods

Last edited:
S

Sarge-Pepper

My face when he picked me for the new mission:
4757-omg-so-amazing.gif

My face when he changed me out:
4001-rage.gif

S

Sarge-Pepper

You'd better.... Or I'll... I'll.

I'll talk shit about you in tumblr!!

::dare-me-to-do-it face::

MenacingTaquito

That mission was crazy, I'm surprised I made it out alright. I expected that last Overwatch shot to hit me. Compared to my last mission, I'll gladly accept it.

I'm not surprised at being chosen to be the first MEC Trooper, as the support class gets screwed over with Training Roulette enabled, and without their medic abilities, its up to chance whether they are very useful or not. And since MEC Troopers have the same stat growths as heavies, 90 aim is a great bonus.

If any does want to collaborate with me, whether relating to the mission or with the MEC augmentation, I'd be glad to. I'm currently collaborating with too_spooked and Suryce, so I might have space for one more.

Also, this is required

Ha! That video with that post, better half dead than not living at all. Just hope to dear god no one makes jokes about your nether regions.
Just leaving this for additional reference.
BZQDdiV.jpg

PrinceZarek

Ha! That video with that post, better half dead than not living at all. Just hope to dear god no one makes jokes about your nether regions.
Just leaving this for additional reference.
BZQDdiV.jpg
Thanks for that, and of course if anyone does make fun of my new... "hardware" I'll just tell them

PrismaCube

Our Commander is a troll, going down the list one by one and just when its your turn, he decides to pick someone who is "Better" than you. Thanks Obama

Status
Not open for further replies.