X-COM THINK TANK (Out of Character Discussion about X-COM and the Series)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChristopherOdd

Commander
Staff member
I've been approached about an idea for a character, and I think it's genius, so I'm going to let them join the RP.

Here is the message from Wisekill1

Christopher Odd said:
I do actually like the idea of a cleanup crew. But I would limit it to just yourself. Do you have an entry that I could see? A creative name would be cool so that I could replace that with "send out the cleanup crew"
Hhhm, how about: "Evidence removal team"; "Alien retrieval unit"; "The Cleansers"; "Unstainers"; "The Sanitary squad"; "X-Cleaners"; "The Tidy Team" or the "Stain Slayers".

That's all I can come up with for now.
I think you're right, it would be easier to do on my own.

First Name: Johan
Last Name: De Fries
Biographical Synopsis: After the carnage left behind in Brisbane, Australia it's clear that X-COM needs a special team to retrieve the Alien remains and artifacts and to make sure that no advanced technology falls into civilian hands.
It's obvious that there is some hurry in this matter because even as I write this recommendation X-COM operatives are preparing to deploy to their next mission.

Johan De Fries is a 46 years old military veteran who now owns his own cleaning company, just 20 miles from X-COM HQ. He employs several other veterans and I'm certain that if the scale of this alien invasion is explained to him he'll gladly take the oath.

After a long military career Johan set up his company, they've now cleaned everywhere from the European Parliament to the White House and they have have arguably the best reputation concerning confidential things that need to be cleaned.

To: Commander ChristopherOdd

Pledge: I have, on this day, voluntarily enlisted myself, as an elite military soldier, in the X-COM special forces. I am giving myself, unconditionally, to the cause. I do bind myself to conform, in all instances, to such rules and regulations, as set forth by my supreme commander ChristopherOdd. I trust him with my life. And by taking this oath, I realize, I may ultimately lose something while defending the planetary systems. My life.
Here's a new entry.
I think I'll try to keep my entries mostly humorous, the other cleaners will just be a bunch of names that Johan orders around.
I hope you like the idea!

I am approving this as I think it adds another layer to the RP.

Meaningofbread

I've been approached about an idea for a character, and I think it's genius, so I'm going to let them join the RP.

Christopher Odd said:
I do actually like the idea of a cleanup crew. But I would limit it to just yourself. Do you have an entry that I could see? A creative name would be cool so that I could replace that with "send out the cleanup crew"
Hhhm, how about: "Evidence removal team"; "Alien retrieval unit"; "The Cleansers"; "Unstainers"; "The Sanitary squad"; "X-Cleaners"; "The Tidy Team" or the "Stain Slayers".

Biographical Synopsis: After the carnage left behind in Brisbane, Australia it's clear that X-COM needs a special team to retrieve the Alien remains and artifacts and to make sure that no advanced technology falls into civilian hands.
It's obvious that there is some hurry in this matter because even as I write this recommendation X-COM operatives are preparing to deploy to their next mission.

Johan De Fries is a 46 years old military veteran who now owns his own cleaning company, just 20 miles from X-COM HQ. He employs several other veterans and I'm certain that if the scale of this alien invasion is explained to him he'll gladly take the oath.

After a long military career Johan set up his company, they've now cleaned everywhere from the European Parliament to the White House and they have have arguably the best reputation concerning confidential things that need to be cleaned.

Pledge: I have, on this day, voluntarily enlisted myself, as an elite military soldier, in the X-COM special forces. I am giving myself, unconditionally, to the cause. I do bind myself to conform, in all instances, to such rules and regulations, as set forth by my supreme commander ChristopherOdd. I trust him with my life. And by taking this oath, I realize, I may ultimately lose something while defending the planetary systems. My life.
Here's a new entry.
I think I'll try to keep my entries mostly humorous, the other cleaners will just be a bunch of names that Johan orders around.

Holy crap, this is brilliant. I always wondered who picks up after the mess, because it certainly isn't Strike One. I guess we have our answer now.

Psilon

Another out of the blue question. I'm considering the possibility of having Vahlen spend some of her off-time in the bar. Would there be anyone willing to interact with her, as she sits alone with her beer, sifting through the day's data?

ChristopherOdd

Commander
Staff member
I'm sure they would. Keep in mind, your subordinates may think less of you if you get all damaged up at the bar ;)

Can you include a link to Cerise's bio in your signature?

Psilon

I'm sure they would. Keep in mind, your subordinates may think less of you if you get all damaged up at the bar ;)

Can you include a link to Cerise's bio in your signature?
Will do, commander. As soon as you let me write my insane theories on Meld :p
And just to clarify...I'm asking to specifically step forward so I can discuss terms of working with their characters (or just play out a scene).

Thenlar

Ryan would be happy to chat with the good doctor. He might be able to procure German goods to help her feel more at home in exchange for the inside scoop from R&D...

Psilon

I'll consider that, though I'm still undecided on whether she prefers one...brand (was the term, right?) of beer and which one it is. I'll stalk some Germans and ask.

Dragonivon

Christopher Odd said:

Here's a new entry.

This reminds me of the Marvel Comics run of 'Damage Control' during the late 80s. They were a group dedicated to cleaning up the messes left behind by the superheros during their bigger battles. In XCOM it's partially physical cleanup but I'd also suggest it's a lot of PR spin (as evidenced by the news report after the EXALT base assault mission) to try and minimize the effects of the alien's efforts. It might be amusing, and particularly tongue in cheek, to add news stories summing up what XCOM wants the PUBLIC to think happened during any particular mission.

They don't have to be particularly convincing, they just have to keep your average Fox News viewer doubting that the world is ending for the time being. Just a suggestion.

Wisekill1

This reminds me of the Marvel Comics run of 'Damage Control' during the late 80s. They were a group dedicated to cleaning up the messes left behind by the superheros during their bigger battles. In XCOM it's partially physical cleanup but I'd also suggest it's a lot of PR spin (as evidenced by the news report after the EXALT base assault mission) to try and minimize the effects of the alien's efforts. It might be amusing, and particularly tongue in cheek, to add news stories summing up what XCOM wants the PUBLIC to think happened during any particular mission.

They don't have to be particularly convincing, they just have to keep your average Fox News viewer doubting that the world is ending for the time being. Just a suggestion.

I like it! I'll keep it in mind!

BockBockChicken

Coming from a research background, I can tell you that much is accomplished at the bar. It's a good place to unwind, for both graduate students and principal investigators. Second to the shower, the bar is the one of the most likely places breakthrough ideas arise.

To throw it in context, Richard Feynman is known to discuss science on napkins at strip clubs.

PrinceZarek

Well, I already know that this season is going to be epic. I'm one of the starting four, my Aim stat is good. I just hope I survive long enough to see it end.

Knowing my luck, I just jinxed myself and I'll get critted from a mile away on the next mission.

I gotta admit, I was very nervous creating my entry, as this is my first major RP (as you could probably tell from my basic play-by-play journal entry, I'll do better next time). I'm just glad to do my part, kicking alien ass with the best and the brightest. If anyone wants to setup an collaboration journal entry about the first mission, feel free to message me. Arsène was last seen at the bar, somewhat intoxicated but still sober enough to give advice to the new recruits.

Also if anyone was curious as to who my character was inspired by

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Maximilien_Lamarque
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arsene_Lupin
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arsène_Lupin_III

Dragonivon

Actually a pretty interesting melange of characters to draw inspiration from, my hat's off to you. I could guess that you had some anime influence pretty easily but the actual Arsene Lupin and Jean Maximilien Lamarque are a pleasant surprise. I'll just hope your character doesn't contract cholera like the original Lamarque. Just remember that it's all fine and good to draw your inspiration from various sources, I certainly am doing that with Zhang to a degree, but always have a few quirks and conflicts that are all your own creation to keep him from ever getting too stale.

Looking forward to reading more from you in the future and someday Zhang will buy you a drink (assuming you haven't been sniped by a Thin Man by then).

PrinceZarek

Actually a pretty interesting melange of characters to draw inspiration from, my hat's off to you. I could guess that you had some anime influence pretty easily but the actual Arsene Lupin and Jean Maximilien Lamarque are a pleasant surprise. I'll just hope your character doesn't contract cholera like the original Lamarque. Just remember that it's all fine and good to draw your inspiration from various sources, I certainly am doing that with Zhang to a degree, but always have a few quirks and conflicts that are all your own creation to keep him from ever getting too stale.

Looking forward to reading more from you in the future and someday Zhang will buy you a drink (assuming you haven't been sniped by a Thin Man by then).

I'm pretty sure X-COM is sanitary, but fingers crossed. Also Arsène was originally a "Dubois" so here's hoping the same luck applies from the LP. Arsène is more of a "gentleman mercenary" than a thief (think A-Team, if you have ever seen it) Taking a job for the right reasons and not for the paycheck.

I'm looking forward to that drink. Arsène had run-ins with opium smugglers while in Afghanistan, perhaps the triads were involved somehow.

Last edited:

too_spooked

If anyone wants to do a co-operative journal with me (Roger Straten - Asian turned American Engineer) hit me up! I need something to do in this before next episode.

Thenlar

Sure. You can always chat with Ryan. He's a Canadian-born Chinese, plus he'd like to know what qualifications the actual hired engineers have (and then realize he was drastically under qualified when he applied).

Suryce

Game Master
We already have a few cases of people editing their journals after they have posted them (including myself!) so I figured this required a rule, just to be sure it doesn't go out of hands. I proposed it to the other GMs and it has already be approved by a majority of them.

So, you are authorized to edit your journals, but if your edit goes as far as changing, adding or removing some story elements, then you must follow these 3 conditions:
- It must be your post of the week. Each time a new video comes out, all the journals that comes before it are to be considered untouchable.
- The changes must be reasonable of course, and not provoke any incoherence with has already been posted after the journal.
- You must announce here, in the Think Tank thread, that you edited your post, and precise the nature of the changes. This way people will know about it, and GMs will also be able to check if everything is still in order.

As an example, here is what I changed in my first journal : I added a paragraph in order to include the bar party mentioned in later journals and which involves my character. It was also the occasion for me to make my character's less anti-social about the attention she got, as I realized this would be more consistent with her personality.

Here we go. The point of this rule is not to prevent or restrict the edits, but just to allow everybody to keep track of them correctly. And also, even if you have done some changes to your journal before I made this post, don't hesitate to announce it now :)

Thenlar

I find it amusing that Rebecca is confused by the bar's presence. In my experience, soldiers will practically riot if you don't let them drink (not that every one is a boozer, but certainly a lot). We're still a semi secret organization. Can't let us leave the base to go to a local bar, where someone might get drunk and spill some secrets they shouldn't. So it makes sense to provide a secure bar where they can drink. Most permanent American military installations have on-base buildings that serve alcohol as well (the E Club and O Club).

ChristopherOdd

Commander
Staff member
We already have a few cases of people editing their journals after they have posted them (including myself!) so I figured this required a rule, just to be sure it doesn't go out of hands. I proposed it to the other GMs and it has already be approved by a majority of them.

So, you are authorized to edit your journals, but if your edit goes as far as changing, adding or removing some story elements, then you must follow these 3 conditions:
- It must be your post of the week. Each time a new video comes out, all the journals that comes before it are to be considered untouchable.
- The changes must be reasonable of course, and not provoke any incoherence with has already been posted after the journal.
- You must announce here, in the Think Tank thread, that you edited your post, and precise the nature of the changes. This way people will know about it, and GMs will also be able to check if everything is still in order.

As an example, here is what I changed in my first journal : I added a paragraph in order to include the bar party mentioned in later journals and which involves my character. It was also the occasion for me to make my character's less anti-social about the attention she got, as I realized this would be more consistent with her personality.

Here we go. The point of this rule is not to prevent or restrict the edits, but just to allow everybody to keep track of them correctly. And also, even if you have done some changes to your journal before I made this post, don't hesitate to announce it now :)

This is great. Thanks Suryce.

Suryce

Game Master
Ah, I had no idea that having a bar or something similar was an actual thing! I had myself always been a bit confused by the bar visible in the base in the game.
At least, it still make sense for Rebecca to not know about it since she never was enlisted in a conventional military organization before (and as the text implies, she doesn't drink alcohol). And it makes it cute that she find people childish while she is surprised by something relatively mundane. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.