X-COM THINK TANK (Out of Character Discussion about X-COM and the Series)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Phoenix

hey Chris do you think that if you decide to make a S.H.I.V. for this play through that i could fill that position? I recently had to do a project and research paper about Artificial Intelligence so I understand how the 'bot would analyze things in a combat situation.
thanks!

GMV

If it's any comfort, Gorefest is my character and I am Dutch.
Not sure if Gorefest is Dutch though. Smith doesn't sound Dutch as you know. Regardless, in principal it matters little. Christopher randomly chose you and I am sure not all guys and girls can get their respective countries. Would just have been fun that is all. So for now I am happy for you and will wait for the day my guy enters as to write. For now it is reading for me. :)

too_spooked

Just gonna use this cozy little section of OOC as a post log.
Entry 1: Arrival

I like that idea, I'm going to do the same.

EDIT (Jan 22) I'm also posting his psychological synopsis here since we can't edit them anymore in our applications, just in case anybody stumbles upon this and decides to read it.

Psychological Synopsis:

Robert Straten is what one could call a true genius. Like Leonardo da Vinci, Socrates and Charles Darwin, his intuition and inquiry levels are exceedingly higher than most humans in his era. He has repeatedly proven himself to be a reliable asset in any scientific project, and functions equally well in a team of people or alone. His passion for science and engineering outweighs his vices, which include his tendency to be manipulative, cocky and aggressive. This vices are immediately apparent with extended conversation with Roger Straten. Roger is manipulative and extremely self-confident in his abilities to persuade people to join his side in an argument or a situation that has more than two choices. Because of this, he is quick to shift blame on others if he feels he is losing, and escalates pressure to counteract that. As a result, Roger can come off as aggressive and cocky, believing too much in his personal abilities, and not as much in those of others.

However, although inherently a self-confident genius, he most certainly is not a bad person. If he enjoys a person's presence, which is generally when they share the same qualities or tend to side with Roger in arguments and the like, he can be a very great friend too. Since the people in the X-COM project are very gifted individuals too, it is likely that he'll easily adapt and make plenty of friends and allies. And as stated earlier, he tries to stifle his vices when working for the cause of scientific study, which he believes is humanity's purpose of existence.

Finally, his intelligence and wit make him extremely charismatic and an excellent conversationalist, and along with his passionate behavior, he is very quick to woo women. These traits mostly show when Roger takes a liking to you, and he an excellent friend if you can stand his initial cockiness and aggressive behavior. Roger works best around kind, stalwart and intelligent people, which are the dominant traits of those we're looking to recruit within our project. Please ignore his vices when considering him as an option.

~Agent X

Journal #1 - Introduction
Journal #2 - Pool Games and S.C.O.P.Es
Journal #3 - Satellites, Nano-fiber Vests and German Trolling

Last edited:

Discopanda

post logs.

logs.jpg

Roger that!

BMPixy

Well, even knowing that I was the only one to apply for that position, it is nice to know that my interpretation of Shen got accepted. However, one thing does bother me: If you start out with five engineers in-game, why did Odd only name three, especially considering the surplus of engineer applications? Same thing goes for scientists.

'Til then, time to write up my journal.

Gahlo

Well, even knowing that I was the only one to apply for that position, it is nice to know that my interpretation of Shen got accepted. However, one thing does bother me: If you start out with five engineers in-game, why did Odd only name three, especially considering the surplus of engineer applications? Same thing goes for scientists.

Probably to keep the amount of "voices" to start off at a minimum. A good story doesn't plop all the characters down in the first chapter after all. ;)

too_spooked

Oooh ooh, put me in it, I got briefed by you in mine!

S

Sarge-Pepper

I'd love to try and talk with one of the Crystal troopers, maybe they could post like a training/orientation lecture or debriefing in froth of the new recruits as the first responders and vets.

Regardless, we can joint post a conversation :) if anyone is interested.

Also, Dozer, as a former combat engineer would love to stop in and see the engineering facilities and maybe even be a tester for some of the new inventions (cough cough SHIVs cough). So if an engie is looking for a way in as well, pm me.

Hokucho

Finally had a chance to post here. Hi everyone! I didn't expect to be in on the first episode, anyone wanna do any arcs or anything feel free to propose the idea to me. I do this kinda thing quite often! I was the first to post up so this week I wont be able to modify my journal to drastically, but I can do something next week if its a bigger interaction.

Frozen Messiah

so I just want to make sure that I under stand this correctly, when CommanderOdd says active he also means soldiers that have yet to go on a mission. So I can start posting for Lukas right?

Gahlo

so I just want to make sure that I under stand this correctly, when CommanderOdd says active he also means soldiers that have yet to go on a mission. So I can start posting for Lukas right?
If you're in support staff(engineers, pilots, scientist) or in the games barrack's display. For example, he picked out 28 soldiers from the applications, but only 12 are currently in the game's barracks.

Frozen Messiah

If you're in support staff(engineers, pilots, scientist) or in the games barrack's display. For example, he picked out 28 soldiers from the applications, but only 12 are currently in the game's barracks.

oh so if your in the barracks then you are good to go, thanks for the calrification. Thus I can begin the story of Lukas Winters, the scientist soldier :D

Sea Breeze

I wonder if the base defence guys will write a one off journal for that mission, they at least deserve a mention in others journals.

I can already tell this is going to be an enjoyable season. I think this rp along with the missions in game just makes everything so much better. :D

ChristopherOdd

Commander
Staff member
Hi everyone, just a reminder that Vahlen, Shen, etc all have people playing as them. Please ensure you're not "playing their part."

Also, the first alien attacks we've experienced are the ones we see in the game. Your family, friends, etc, probably haven't heard about them just yet.

ChristopherOdd

Commander
Staff member

Having too many engineers or scientists would have secondary characters outnumbering soldiers, etc. I feel it's best to have fewer voices for a smaller group, and more for larger ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.