X-COM THINK TANK (Out of Character Discussion about X-COM and the Series)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thenlar

Ryan is a sommelier?!
I suspect wine is a bit too classy for most of us grunts. XD Mostly he'll be checking out the hard liquors and beers, but if someone has a special request for some kind of wine, he can probably get his hands on it eventually, assuming you've got something to trade for all that hard work and effort.

ChristopherOdd

Commander
Staff member
At the end of each episode, I'll try to give you guys some tasks/activities to stimulate the role play a bit. The orders for this one were to have the soldiers that went out on the battlefield tell everyone about what it was like, then introduce yourselves to others.

Sea Breeze

I suspect wine is a bit too classy for most of us grunts. XD Mostly he'll be checking out the hard liquors and beers, but if someone has a special request for some kind of wine, he can probably get his hands on it eventually, assuming you've got something to trade for all that hard work and effort.

Don't forget that while you may be rookies an Xcom rookie is one of the worlds finest soldiers. Also what are you going to be trading? alien body parts? I don't mean that sarcastically either.

GMV

Darn Commander Odd had a Dutch guy (Willem Bakker renamed to Gorefest); would have been great if my guy would truly represent his own (and my own in RL) country. Oh Well, good luck with writing guys. Wil be checking it all. :)

too_spooked

At the end of each episode, I'll try to give you guys some tasks/activities to stimulate the role play a bit. The orders for this one were to have the soldiers that went out on the battlefield tell everyone about what it was like, then introduce yourselves to others.

I get to meet the heroes of Operation Crystal Future, can't wait.

Grelite

Darn Commander Odd had a Dutch guy (Willem Bakker renamed to Gorefest); would have been great if my guy would truly represent his own (and my own in RL) country. Oh Well, good luck with writing guys. Wil be checking it all. :)
If it's any comfort, Gorefest is my character and I am Dutch.

Thenlar

Don't forget that while you may be rookies an Xcom rookie is one of the worlds finest soldiers. Also what are you going to be trading? alien body parts? I don't mean that sarcastically either.
Well, there's obviously a black/gray market for alien body parts, so if people can smuggle him some bits on the side, Ryan might be able to get something more substantial than a handful of these nebulous "credits." You can't drink credits. You CAN drink Patron tequila, or Paddy Irish Whiskey!

Of course, he'll take money, or perhaps any interesting cultural bits your soldiers might have brought from home. Maybe some grenades that were "used" in combat, but actually just get passed off to a crew chief on the Sky Ranger, who gives them to a janitor, who hands them to Ryan...

Dragonivon

I'll be biding my time for awhile. Though I like the fact that CommanderOdd chose Asia as where to found the XCOM project. It makes it so it's impossible for the Triads to not know about it's presence beforehand, adding more validity to Zhang's ability to contact XCOM for an emergency pickup later. It's all coming together... *maniacal laugh*

Sea Breeze

Well, there's obviously a black/gray market for alien body parts, so if people can smuggle him some bits on the side, Ryan might be able to get something more substantial than a handful of these nebulous "credits." You can't drink credits. You CAN drink Patron tequila, or Paddy Irish Whiskey!

Of course, he'll take money, or perhaps any interesting cultural bits your soldiers might have brought from home. Maybe some grenades that were "used" in combat, but actually just get passed off to a crew chief on the Sky Ranger, who gives them to a janitor, who hands them to Ryan...
Yes but don't forget that taking alien bodyparts from the battlefield is a breach of protocol (you often overhear Bradford talk about this on the comms when in game so this could annoy him), just something to keep in ming, I have no problem with it happening but just remember this is the case and it may have consequences.

Last edited:

too_spooked

I find it strange that XCOM gave him 2 females. I normally get 50/50 split when i start up my games.

The first time I played, I got like 10 girls and 3 guys, my entire squad for the second mission composed of chicks from Europe. That day was the easiest day on the planet to get the 'all-female squad' achievement.

Psilon

The first time I played, I got like 10 girls and 3 guys, my entire squad for the second mission composed of chicks from Europe. That day was the easiest day on the planet to get the 'all-female squad' achievement.
Lucky. My first roster contained a single Russian blonde, that turned heavy, and was then eaten by Chyssalids around the time I had some laser weapons with me. Took me quite a while to get my "Flight of the Valkyries".

too_spooked

Lucky. My first roster contained a single Russian blonde, that turned heavy, and was then eaten by Chyssalids around the time I had some laser weapons with me. Took me quite a while to get my "Flight of the Valkyries".

It must have sucked even more when you had to kill her zombified corpse.

Psilon

I was too panicked to give it much heed at the time. The only reason she got killed that mission was because I was still learning the ropes, and didn't realize how far enemies could shoot, so I was already in an angry rush, spurred on the by the sight of my funny haired sniper painting a wall he had huddled up next to, and a squad that was barely alive.

too_spooked

I was too panicked to give it much heed at the time. The only reason she got killed that mission was because I was still learning the ropes, and didn't realize how far enemies could shoot, so I was already in an angry rush, spurred on the by the sight of my funny haired sniper painting a wall he had huddled up next to, and a squad that was barely alive.

Mistakes were made :p

On my first play-through with my squad of Valkyries on the second mission, I got half of them killed because I thought you could shoot after you dashed, albeit with reduced accuracy. That's probably why Odd is calling the shots and not me ;)

Dragonivon

Yes but don't forget that taking alien bodyparts from the battlefield is a breach of protocol (you often overhear Bradford talk about this on the comms when in game so this could annoy him), just something to keep in ming, I have no problem with it happening but just remember this is the case and it may have consequences.

Well, since it's evidently canon that SOMEONE is taking body parts from the missions, it would only make sense that someone end up RPing it. Otherwise Bradford would be kvetching for nothing.

Sea Breeze

Well, since it's evidently canon that SOMEONE is taking body parts from the missions, it would only make sense that someone end up RPing it. Otherwise Bradford would be kvetching for nothing.
yeah that's why I said I don't mind it happening I just wanted to make sure people were aware that it may have consequences as that could be some fun RP.

Thenlar

Of course. That's why it's smuggling.

Status
Not open for further replies.