X-COM THINK TANK (Out of Character Discussion about X-COM and the Series)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whether I get the spot or not since I know I saw a few others apply for it, another idea I had floating in my head to have the psychiatrist give more in every post would be to maybe provide an evaluation or have a session with all squadmates involved on a mission where another soldier dies.

Adrammalech

If there is a therapist in the mix, it should be an optional deal like it often is (at least on TV, so it must be true) in police/military type stuff. i.e. Bradford rounds people up after a failed mission and says "anyone who needs counsel can talk to Doctor Soandso". I think that would allow people to have an interesting decision in base life; to get help, be like "man, I'm too badass to need help", or a mix between the two.

Dragonivon

Common grammatical error that people make is saying "intensive purposes." It's actually, for all "intents and purposes." ;)
This is coming from the man who said in his latest XCOM episode: "EXALT, they're not like the smartest chickens in the basket." Though honestly I rather liked that mangling of common idioms.

Zain Shah

Is there still a spot for a therapist/psychiatrist because you didn't say we could be one but I think it could add something to the role-playing.

Dragonivon

Psi buddies? I haven't played her campaign, what's Chris talking about?

The missions that give you Annette also give you the 'Furies' 3 more normal type soldiers but all with 100% psi-ability. From what I've seen their professions are somewhat randomized but start with a slightly higher than usual Will score. For whatever reason, they have the callsigns of the Furies from Greek Mythology:
Alecto("unceasing")
Megaera ("grudging")
Tisiphone ("avenging murder")

Since in XCOM the Furies can be modified like any normal soldier their nicknames may be changed but as a group they are generally considered the 'Furies'. Hope that helps.

too_spooked

The missions that give you Annette also give you the 'Furies' 3 more normal type soldiers but all with 100% psi-ability. From what I've seen their professions are somewhat randomized but start with a slightly higher than usual Will score. For whatever reason, they have the callsigns of the Furies from Greek Mythology:
Alecto("unceasing")
Megaera ("grudging")
Tisiphone ("avenging murder")

Since in XCOM the Furies can be modified like any normal soldier their nicknames may be changed but as a group they are generally considered the 'Furies'. Hope that helps.

Oh, thanks. So I guess this Chris's Odd Squad we've been waiting for? ;)

If there is a therapist in the mix, it should be an optional deal like it often is (at least on TV, so it must be true) in police/military type stuff. i.e. Bradford rounds people up after a failed mission and says "anyone who needs counsel can talk to Doctor Soandso". I think that would allow people to have an interesting decision in base life; to get help, b3e like "man, I'm too badass to need help", or a mix between the two.

Soandso? Is that a Greek name?

:3

Grelite

How did we lose to something that couldn't figure out what a chair was?
Surely I am not the only one to notice there was no seating in any of the alien vessels?
But yeah, it was quite amusing to try and find a balance between humour and the exploration of the alien hierarchy. Sadly, I didn't quite have the zoological or xenological expertise to analyse it more realistically.

S

Sarge-Pepper

Common grammatical error that people make is saying "intensive purposes." It's actually, for all "intents and purposes." ;)

Thank God someone else noticed that. That's one of my biggest pet peeves of all time.

But the Multplayer seems to be a great idea! Maybe instead of random people challenging Chris, maybe we can set up a tournament within the forum and the winner can face off against Chris?

And if we head into RPing the Enemy, I think having the roles of the commanders and such be a great way to add some tension to the game and journals. Like the Chrissalid Queen being first, up until The Docks and she is air bombed, then a Bezerker, and Ethereal, and then finally the Big Guy himself. Almost like a mini-boss feel to it.

Grelite

Where'd this Chryssalid Queen idea come from anyway? Chryssalids show no swarm behaviour, can reproduce alone and asexually and and generally don't do super-organism stuff. They seem more like pack animals, but that applies to almost all alien species in X-COM.

Status
Not open for further replies.