X-COM THINK TANK (Out of Character Discussion about X-COM and the Series)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, Critiques everywhere. :D I'd appreciate if someone were to critique mine if possible. I've gotta start getting ready to go to work so I can do short responses from my phone, but I like looking over profiles and hearing what people were thinking about when creating them so this is great.

Vlakvark

Sorry to break the critique train, but I actually got to thinking where gameplay and story segregation could come into the RP. Xcom, being an RTS, isn't necessarily the most realistic when it comes to how enemies react to things. For example, I don't think a Muton would just stand there calmly as a human walks up to him, lines up a shot, and takes him off at the neck. So, would it be more appropriate to write in a reaction where the Muton is blindsided and tries to react but can't bring his own plasma rifle up in time to avoid dying, or just write it in as it comes.

Sorry to break the critique train, but I actually got to thinking where gameplay and story segregation could come into the RP. Xcom, being an RTS, isn't necessarily the most realistic when it comes to how enemies react to things. For example, I don't think a Muton would just stand there calmly as a human walks up to him, lines up a shot, and takes him off at the neck. So, would it be more appropriate to write in a reaction where the Muton is blindsided and tries to react but can't bring his own plasma rifle up in time to avoid dying, or just write it in as it comes.
Sounds like an idea. Also, are we assuming that the soldiers are only doing what Commander Odd tells them to do (except for the instances where they panic) or are some actions going to be the character's own choice?

UnevenRanger

Sounds like an idea. Also, are we assuming that the soldiers are only doing what Commander Odd tells them to do (except for the instances where they panic) or are some actions going to be the character's own choice?

Yeah, it's in the Application's first post I believe and in the Pledge, that Commander Odd will be making the decisions ("If your character is made into a Mech or a Geneticly Modified Soldier, they had no choice, they gave up that choice on joining X-COM") and I'm guessing Panicing will be handled in the roleplay (why ect) because Odd doesn't have much control over the game mechanics. You could roleplay the worlds bravest soldier, and the Troll Engine's random number generator might turn them into a coward haha

Connorcj

Realistically, an RTS is just what is actually happening but slowed down and paused. So really, in the same action the muton may run to cover there probably wouldn't be more than a few seconds when the assault sprints up and shoots. And misses, I assume could be attributed to nerves, or even say the alien 'dodged' the blast without actually running away. Though I'd have to look at how previous seasons did it, I can't imagine all of these top soldiers missing is down to their aiming ability, so creating realistic reasons for the chance-based game mechanics would be part of the roleplayers job. Even if Chris likes to blame the soldiers when they miss what should be sure-hits. :)

Oh, and critiques are also welcome - it's on page 9. And whoever does, I've already noticed a couple of mistakes where I've missed small words out of a couple of sentences, but anything else is appreciated.

Whiplash779

When I'm playing X-COM, I like to entertain the thought that each turn (human and alien combined) constitutes about a minute in real time; with the thinking time in-between moves just video game logic for the commander's quick thinking. See gameplay of The Bureau to understand what I'm talking about.

UnevenRanger

Yeah, it's not an RTS, it's a TBS. Just to enforce the correct jargon here.
I am really glad I wasn't the only one being bugged by that haaha. The SoaSE player in me was rumbling

Whiplash,
Thats sort of what I like to think, I just find the idea of a Muton being so dumb that he just stares at the Assault's shotgun mulling over whether or not to dodge long enough for the Assault to shoot haha. Really weird considering the only X-COM fanfic I've read (XSGCOM, amazing story btw) considers the Aliens supersoldiers in order to incorporate the original game's alien's accuracy. I really liked that idea, basically the rookies in XCOM UFO Defence were the best of the best, the only reason that their accuracy ect sucked ingame, was because it was in comparison to the ridiculously welltrained/wellbred aliens

GMV

Very noob question but how do you know if you have been selected for season 4 or not... been waiting for a while on that seeing the deadline has passed. I hope mine was up to snuff, I am not a native speaker - as described in the application. I simply mixed real life elements with fictional ones.

And is it still one reply per video... I would advocate like 2/3 with a word limit. Otherwise it is hard to interact with the rest of the personel that lives on the base.

UnevenRanger

Very noob question but how do you know if you have been selected for season 4 or not... been waiting for a while on that seeing the deadline has passed. I hope mine was up to snuff, I am not a native speaker - as described in the application. I simply mixed real life elements with fictional ones.

And is it still one reply per video... I would advocate like 2/3 with a word limit. Otherwise it is hard to interact with the rest of the personel that lives on the base.

We're waiting for Christopher to upload a video where he goes through his and his wife's favorite applications, then presumably they will name the people who are initially selected in the video. WHEN he posts the video is known only to Christopher but my guess would be a few days before Sunday, because thats when he has previously uploaded episodes of XCOM and he will assumedly want to allow those selected time to prepare.
And yeah, from what has been said it will be one reply per video, I seem to recall him considering although he will probably talk more about it when the actual Roleplay topic is opened. He discussed it here

Adrammalech

I looked and I can't find a thing to really criticize. I tend to prefer a narrative/literary style on the whole but your application is probably the best of the 'military file profiles' I've seen. I look forward to seeing what you create in Season 4 when you are chosen to participate. I probably should say 'if' but currently I wouldn't bet a dime against it.

Thank you kindly. I hope you're right, it would be nice to expound on my character with some less rigid narratives.

Meaningofbread

We're waiting for Christopher to upload a video where he goes through his and his wife's favorite applications, then presumably they will name the people who are initially selected in the video. WHEN he posts the video is known only to Christopher but my guess would be a few days before Sunday, because thats when he has previously uploaded episodes of XCOM and he will assumedly want to allow those selected time to prepare.
And yeah, from what has been said it will be one reply per video, I seem to recall him considering although he will probably talk more about it when the actual Roleplay topic is opened. He discussed it here

He better hurry up before legions of angry peasants storm his castle with pitchforks and torches.

BMPixy

When I'm playing X-COM, I like to entertain the thought that each turn (human and alien combined) constitutes about a minute in real time; with the thinking time in-between moves just video game logic for the commander's quick thinking. See gameplay of The Bureau to understand what I'm talking about.

[Bureau spoilers below] Speaking of the Bureau, personal theory of mine is that Carter's Ethereal never truly left Earth, but took the time to mature and grow in power. Then, when the New Ethereals came, the Old Ethereal found the Commander of XCOM, and did the same thing it did to Carter, only this time the Old Ethereal had more experience, so rather than merely slowing time like Carter experienced, time could completely stop from the Commander's perspective. [End spoilers]

Of course, just theory. Also, hate to jump on the critique bandwagon, but considering this is my first time role-playing since the early days of S3, it'd be nice to see how others view my character.

EDIT: Completely forgot to link to my post! Here we go!
EDIT2: Added improv-spoiler tags.

Last edited:

Brian

Speaking of the Bureau, personal theory of mine is that Carter's Ethereal never truly left Earth, but took the time to mature and grow in power. Then, when the New Ethereals came, the Old Ethereal found the Commander of XCOM, and did the same thing it did to Carter, only this time the Old Ethereal had more experience, so rather than merely slowing time like Carter experienced, time could completely stop from the Commander's perspective.

Of course, just theory. Also, hate to jump on the critique bandwagon, but considering this is my first time role-playing since the early days of S3, it'd be nice to see how others view my character.

EDIT: Completely forgot to link to my post! Here we go!
You could've said spoiler lol,I haven't played Bureau yet but I plan to get it soon.

BMPixy

You could've said spoiler lol,I haven't played Bureau yet but I plan to get it soon.
Sorry about that, kind of assumed that everybody here had either watched Chris' LP of the Bureau/played it already, my mistake. Sadly, seems these forums lack spoiler capabilities.

Brian

Sorry about that, kind of assumed that everybody here had either watched Chris' LP of the Bureau/played it already, my mistake. Sadly, seems these forums lack spoiler capabilities.
Eh.Its fine.To be honest,by the time I get the game,I'd probably forget anyway.

MathNerdMatt

I was wondering if some of you guys could take a look at my application. It's a lot shorter than most of the others. Also I thought to many of the applications became to dark. So I tried to set my character up to be more... I do not know a good word for it. Hope you enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.