X-COM THINK TANK (Out of Character Discussion about X-COM and the Series)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gahlo

If you want to link directly to a post, you can click to the timed part next to your name on the bottom left potion of the message.

i.e: Gahlo, 264572146 seconds ago <== That part.

Dragonivon

Oh cool, I'd love getting a bit of echo for what I wrote. I'd be grateful for your opinion!

Okay, read your application. Three things struck me right off the bat. 1) Rule 7 says: Unless you apply to be Annette or one of the other three abductees rescued along the way, your character has not had contact with any aliens prior to joining X-COM. Your story seems to indicate some rather close contact with the aliens. 2) The application is a bit short and doesn't really seem to depict why she would be considered useful to a military multi-national organization, especially in light of extremist racist background. Yes she may have had some training from militants but not the military, two entirely different disciplines. 3) There's a bit of a contrast between the psychological evaluation of being able to 'handle the stress on the battlefield' and the fact she was originally found by XCOM standing screaming and shooting live rounds into an empty alien pod. Such actions seem less congruent with 'handling stress' and more with 'severe psychotic and violent break of the psyche'.

JuliaMaluca

*grin* Thanks. I was a bit concerned about the alien pod, but after reading several other applications with similar encounters, I just put it in. The picture of the angry woman screaming her helplessness at an empty thing was just too funny. And yes, she's no soldier or anything like that, simply because even with internet research and Hollywood, I'd never be able to convincingly play one. Even playing the racist will be tough. So I just threw her in and wait for her to sink or float.

Dragonivon

If you'd all be so kind to critique mine, it's on page 4 of the application thread.

Went through your application and actually I liked parts of it, a nice line of thought behind military history and a nice touch with the recommendation from one of his commanders. But I got no real feel for the character himself, the military file by itself is fairly dry reading. Does a good job of saying why he's qualified to be in the project but doesn't speak much to what kind of character he will actually be for the roleplay elements. But this is just my impression, I really have very little idea what it is exactly CommanderOdd will be looking for in an application. So take that for what it's worth.

*grin* Thanks. I was a bit concerned about the alien pod, but after reading several other applications with similar encounters, I just put it in. The picture of the angry woman screaming her helplessness at an empty thing was just too funny. And yes, she's no soldier or anything like that, simply because even with internet research and Hollywood, I'd never be able to convincingly play one. Even playing the racist will be tough. So I just threw her in and wait for her to sink or float.
I honestly think besides the, not being able to encounter aliens part, the application does have its strong and diverse parts. I don't think the militant, but not military aspect will play to big of a part if only because if you consider Zhang. He is and ex hi-ranking triad member who literally cut down friend and foe to get their organizations finding into the right hands. The racist aspect I think is going to be at the very least interesting around base. All in all I think it has about a good a chance as any to get it, despite the over look on the rules.

JuliaMaluca

Thanks! I'm quite relaxed about the whole thing, if I don't get to play, I will definitely enjoy watching and reading. It will be fun, I am absolutely sure about it.
And Zhang's a cool bastard!

Whiplash779

Well, as long as we're on the subject of critiques... My application is my first RPing post in a long time. Would someone be willing to give me some feedback on my style, character, etc.?

This is the application.

BTW, I must say, I love this community. You guys are very supportive of each other's posts and willing to give advice. No baseless arguing here. I'll probably stick around for a long time.

Dragonivon

Well, as long as we're on the subject of critiques... My application is my first RPing post in a long time. Would someone be willing to give me some feedback on my style, character, etc.?

Read through your application and I liked parts of it, you had some nice detailing on value as a soldier within an already highly covert operation. The format of the application being literally in the form of an military file strikes me as a touch dry, the use of some of the tropes like a man without an identity seem a little derivative, but overall I see it as a strong entry with a good chance of creating some rather unique scenarios to roleplay with/against. I think you chances of getting accepted are fairly good and I wish you luck.

Brian

I would appreciate some feedback on my application if anyone has the time. Always looking for good criticism :D Personally I would have liked to go more in detail with his IC personal history, not just his career but I was pretty happy with it overall so hopefully I will get to go through it in the roleplay

http://graylinesgaming.com/index.ph...-4-enemy-within-recruitment-centre.469/page-8
I really liked it personally. I didn't notice any grammar mistakes, I may have skimmed over some though,but I can see it was fairly detailed. But you could have done better explaining other events that happened in his life that makes him unique.

Dragonivon

I would appreciate some feedback on my application if anyone has the time. Always looking for good criticism :D Personally I would have liked to go more in detail with his IC personal history, not just his career but I was pretty happy with it overall so hopefully I will get to go through it in the roleplay

Not a bad story. Some funny bits of the character's personality displayed, a little disjointed wording at the start but easy enough to pick up on the gist of what you are trying to say, all in all the application seems pretty strong. Some details were a bit glossed over but not really important, just something to work on fleshing out even further as the season gets underway.

Grelite

If you'd be so kind to evaluate my entry on page one it would be appreciated. I'd explained before my reasons for writing the way I do, however this extensive post got removed alongside others in a topic which got deleted, so I don't imagine many have seen it. In short, I try to avoid all conventions I've seen in my time roleplaying to create something unique for myself, yet make my application vague enough to avoid defining my character before I start actually playing him. This because I like to establish as much of the personality during roleplay itself, rather than beforehand; a personal preference.

Dragonivon

If you'd be so kind to evaluate my entry on page one it would be appreciated. I'd explained before my reasons for writing the way I do, however this extensive post got removed alongside others in a topic which got deleted, so I don't imagine many have seen it. In short, I try to avoid all conventions I've seen in my time roleplaying to create something unique for myself, yet make my application vague enough to avoid defining my character before I start actually playing him. This because I like to establish as much of the personality during roleplay itself, rather than beforehand; a personal preference.

Your application I had read rather in detail awhile back, since you were the one who did the RP for Zhang I read through all your entries for Season 3 as well as tried to get a bead on your new character 'Gorefest'. Later I may send you some PMs regarding Zhang and see if you can give me some pointers. While sounding like he had parents that had a lifetime subscription to Fangoria (I know he chose the name himself) I honestly can't see it being THAT big a point of contention. Though I'm sure Squaddie Gorfest and Squaddie Angel would have much to talk about in that regard. Anyway, overall I liked your application's tone and gave a good feel for the character's quality, though his military qualifications technically seem a bit scant it's vague enough to build upon later.

Meaningofbread

Your application I had read rather in detail awhile back, since you were the one who did the RP for Zhang I read through all your entries for Season 3 as well as tried to get a bead on your new character 'Gorefest'. Later I may send you some PMs regarding Zhang and see if you can give me some pointers. While sounding like he had parents that had a lifetime subscription to Fangoria (I know he chose the name himself) I honestly can't see it being THAT big a point of contention. Though I'm sure Squaddie Gorfest and Squaddie Angel would have much to talk about in that regard. Anyway, overall I liked your application's tone and gave a good feel for the character's quality, though his military qualifications technically seem a bit scant it's vague enough to build upon later.

I wouldn't laugh at funny names. XCOM generated the name "Olabode Gasbonwe" and he turned out to be my best soldier as well as humanities savior. Take that, stupid names!

Status
Not open for further replies.