X-COM Season 4 Role-Play Journals

Grelite

Name: Tarrmis Gorefest

Despite of how unlikely it seemed, seeing the circumstances of the first attack, a part of me hoped that the operation in Australia would have been the last we would see of the aliens. That those eight aliens were the only ones threatening people. Sure, it did not make much sense for them to abduct a city's worth of humans if there were only eight of them, but who would I be to make such statements? Yes, we still don't know why they abduct people, but now we know it's likely to continue. Rather, that's the word around the base.

The same four soldiers were sent out today when the alarms sounded. They returned, just as they did the first time, but this time they were worse for wear. I couldn't catch a glimpse of them, but from what I heard from other people, they took some serious heat from the extra-terrestrial threat. Still, I was told the operation was a success. It did get me thinking, however.

Everyone says they're from beyond our planet, something I'd agree with from the descriptions. Yet, I have heard nothing of possible transport vessels - flying saucers, spaceships, or whatever. What if they're not aliens? Maybe they're mutants or some sort of escaped experiment. They have been described to be humanoid and though I have yet to see anything of them, what are the chances something not from this world would look like anything from this world? Then, what do I know of xenobiology? I really ought to try and think of other things while down at the range.

Taugaunt

March 2ed 2015
Personal Log
Name: Abbygail Penhallow
Position: X-COM Mechanical engineer

Just a short update for today I think I am going to be busy for a while. We have just finished making some medkits for the team that left on the mission to china. There a pretty ingenious little device relieving pain and providing medicine to in a short amount of time. The exact specifics of the chemicals used is beyond me I just make the containers but what a amazing container it is althought if I could only give a small complaint it seems that the triggers are a bit on the light side, one activation would use up all of the medical supplies within but I believe an experienced soldier would be able to figure out the write amount of force needed.

Anyways I just finished transporting Twitchy (the malfunctioning construction arm ) to general maintenance so I can do some proper work on fixing it.

That's all for know might update this again if any new developments arise.

***​
March 10th 2015
Personal Log
Name: Abbygail Penhallow
Position: X-COM Mechanical engineer

Man the last couple of days have been hectic working on that satellite for the commander seeing as I have never worked on one before is probably part of it, you need to be so careful with them and double check everything you do because if something goes wrong were going to need to build another one. Also no progress has been made with Twitchy, I checked hydraulics, electrical and even the programing and I still haven't found the problem, but I know if I keep working on it I will fix him.

Also we built the new scopes a few days ago quite effective they sort of remind me of the optics I used on the Dimetro. It was able to identify the trigger mechanism via several scans and was able to then determine the best course of action to disarm it. The S.C.O.P.E. on the other had is does this for both organics and none organic combatants, sure there bigger targets but this is a much smaller device and it doesn't need to be right next to the target to see them behind cover. Thinking about the Dimetro again does make me more hesitant to bring up my ideas to Dr. Shen or any of the other engineers I am just to worried that they will all fail again but on the other had if I do nothing but do what ever they tell me all I am bring to the table is another pair of hands and not another person.

You know what Diary I will go and voice some of my ideas around here!
And I just made an fool of my self by yelling that out in the middle of the hangar bay, I hope nobody noticed.
Oh yeah the reason why I am in the hangar bay is because one of the ravens was just launched and I amusing the time its gone to inspect the lunching mechanism till next time Diary.

Last edited:
Name: Tariq Hassan

Entry #2

Dennis Largo is not typical to the other men I've met in the military- and particularly diverges from what I have come to expect of American soldiers. He is a cheerful, grinning creature, often manic in his demeanor. And he is my bunkmate. Attempting to ignore him proved useless as he merely chattered at me in broken Arabic. We've since shifted back to English, but learning that he was stationed in Afghanistan early on last decade put my mind to rest somewhat. Accompanying him to the shooting range was an unusual experience, one in which he "dusted" me, to use some of the other soldiers' parlance. I am, in no uncertain terms, a fine shot; Largo may be the finest marksman I've ever met.

He's been insisting that the base should hold a movie night. I don't particularly understand the desire to bond to those who are condemned. I've seen the wounds of those who embarked on the second mission. I've come to understand that they are ultimately lucky. It seems unlikely that many will survive an extended campaign of this sort. Nonetheless, Rookie Largo's cheer is irrepressible.

His smile seems a bit dimmer though, since he's been called out to a deployment. I wished him luck, but the Skyranger has yet to depart. I honestly don't know if I'll be seeing him again. And I don't know when I'll be called forth myself. When the time comes, I'll do what I need to. But I don't intend to lose any more friends.

If Dennis Largo dies, so be it.

Discopanda

Dennis Largo
Soldier
Rookie

Journal Entry 2

When I was enlisted, I didn’t have a lot of choice in how my day was going to be. If they wanted me in the mess hall serving grits, that’s where I went. If it was time for a patrol through a landmine-covered farm, I had to do it. If I got a day off, I’d be on wall-staring duty. Back in those days, I was never scared. I’m scared again, and I hate it. It feels wrong, because I thought I’d defeated fear. Hopefully the next away mission fixes my brain.

I watched our brave comrades returning to the base. Smelled them first, actually. They were all burned up, somehow. I guess the aliens are shooting laser guns? Wish we had laser guns.

I have a bunkmate. Tariq. Middle-aged, Middle-Eastern, not a whole lot of fun. I still like him though! I get the feeling he doesn’t hate me just because I’m an American. He might hate me for other reasons, but at least I can own up to those.

The days have gone by without much fanfare. People are still scared. Soldiers and staff are starting to make friends, at least. It’s mostly been me trying to crack Tariq. I don’t think we’re friends yet, but I’m probably the closest thing he has to one.

Been trying to sell “Movie Night” to the rest of the organization. Commander gave me the green-light, but nobody’s responded to the flyer I posted. Might have to change up the movie choices. Will work on that after I get my feet wet.

Tariq and I went to the gun range today. He needs practice. Ha-ha. At least he knows I’ve got skills now. Just realized I might have killed some of Tariq’s buddies while I was enlisted. Shit.

Last few minutes before me and three others leave on a mission. Hope my family is still alive.

PrismaCube

Soldier Name: Caroline Southway
Class: None

Personal Journal Entry #3

Locked in the Past (Part 3)

So just a couple of months back the Queen of England died, it was a surprise for all of us and England did weep for months, yet there was celebration to be had, for Prince William claimed the new throne and is now known as King William, since his father Charles did decide to abdicate. Well at least that was the plan. Yet years ago my family was the rightful heir to the throne, until one of my stupid great grand fathers from five hundred years ago or so passed it on to his cousins family because he wanted to live a normal life. Or something like that, I am not sure either, those old papers make no sense to me, but my lawyers assure me that I'm related to the King of England and that I even have the right to claim the throne and dethrone the New King. That is just what I'm going to do. By saving this world my chances that everybody wants me as there Queen increase a lot. Plus when this planet is dead then I can't rule, so it's a win-win situation for me joining X-Com. My father on the other hand did not want me to join the X-Com base. Yet I convinced him that this would be the best for me in order to secure my place in this world. He took it easier than I thought. I wonder what my Grandfather would be thinking of me right about now. Sure he would be proud that I'm trying to save this planet, but mad because I'm doing it for the wrong reasons, sorry gramps. Everybody has their own goals. Mine just involves a lot of evil plots.

An Ace man claims to be no Ace?

I was eager to meet Alexander and ask him all about his battle, and to make a potential ally. I still have to act all none Royal in order to hide my identity, for now its seems to be working, but anyway Alex. He was working on his...Jet thingy when I found him, I talked him up and pretty much praised him too much for his ace battle, then he said something about what an ace really was. To be honest I don't know what he was trying to explain to me exactly but I guess in the future I should say that I find him quite fancy. Apparently Ace for pilots means honor or whatever. But yeah pretty nice guy, might visit him more often.

Tis' only a flesh wound

The team in the med bay managed to recover, got to say there must be a huge amount of technology behind all of this, I mean they got shot with alien weapons, which have some sort of green goo or so I heard, apparently it burns like acid, but the soldiers who were wounded, (pretty much the entire team) did not show any signs of scars when they were fit as a fiddle again, at least I didn't notice any scars. Oh and Hokuchiyo that nice fellow also seems to be alright, which makes me happy. But yeah I bet soon enough it will be my turn to visit the med bay. Meh! Its what I signed up for isn't it. Maybe I can chat up one of the scientist, they might know a little more about this tech. But yeah, getting kind of hungry.

Royal Manners? Nah, just Christopher Cole!

During my usual meal, this guy named Christopher Cole made quite the funny remark about how the food should taste, it went something along the lines of "never make the soup taste like spoiled milk and sneakers". Now usually I ignore silly comments like that, it's what I was taught my entire life, but I just couldn't hold it in and had to laugh a little and could only agree on his remark. Compared to what they served back home this was just a joke. So anyway I decided to chat him up and talk with him a little, turns out we both were talking for hours on end, but I can't complain he seems like a nice fellow, I shall consider him my first ally, you know someone I can trust in battle to watch my back, I hope he thinks the same of me. I also learned a lot from him, turns out he is a cook, and a good one too at that, if he can compare to the food I eat back at home I wonder? Maybe I can request him to cook me something up when I get to know him a little more. He also told me about his wife at home a little. So all in all I like this guy, he isn't just some lowlife.

Pool Party!

If only, that would be ace if there was a pool here where we could party, but nah I spend the weekend again in the shooting range, yet I also requested a harp to be send to my room so I can play that whenever I'm bored, I hope they approve it, or someone is going to be quite mad. I also went to the gym and did some yoga while watching some of my other comrades training or playing games like basketball or soccer and football. Some I met already, but most I just see around base, and haven't talked to yet, but hey they don't talk to me either so why should I bother.

Blind Wine

The 3 words I hate hearing the most together are "Are", "You", and "Blind" with a Question mark on the end. So I meet the first guy to ask me that Question today, I went for a drink in the bar, but nothing alcoholic, isn't prober for a royal to be drinking beer, I was just there to relax. At least that was until this scientist caught my eye, or more like everything, he was observing me from toe to hair and back down, and then it came. The Question "Are you blind?" I stayed calm and explained to the fellow scientist named Jym Samty that it was just an illness I had since I was born, but my eyes are just fine. Although I hated him observing me like that and asking me that question he seems like a nice guy, smart and quiet, I might just get to know him later some more, then he could tell me more about the stuff he is researching and I in return can tell him about the aliens I will be fighting.

But all in all

Well it's been a quite week so far, the crew that was send out to clean out the UFO crash site came back with success, and new promotions were handed out, you know what this mean Caroline, soon it will be your turn. Let's hope all my training helps me survive, since this isn't the same, these...things are alive, isn't it the same like shooting a human or animal? I don't know guess I will have to figure out the hard way by actually shooting one, also rumors have been going around the base that we are being attacked by multiple aliens not just one race, pretty scary if you think about it, makes you wonder how long this has been planned and why, I mean what threat is the human race to those aliens? Also I have been wondering if I should try and take control of these Soldiers, I mean it's what I did in University and people handled it well, although I would need the support of everybody, or most of them if we do this democratically, all in all I don't think just because I'm a rookie I can't try to take the lead. I also do not have hate on any of these low life's, I'm starting to understand that we are in this all together it doesn't matter who you are or what race you have, your rank or class, your past or mistakes we are all here to fight for humanity, its "Unus pro omnibus, omnes pro uno(Latin) "( "One for all, all for one").

Last edited:

Brian

Name:Jym Samty

Looks like this mission went well. We managed to collect all Meld and no one was injured. Also, The Commander has finally allowed us to research this...Meld.Think of the possibilities. Also, I just realized the smell of the sectoids. It is...awful, to say the least. Unforchunetly, a lot of components in the UFO is damaged...also, I had a...I don't know what to call it,but I ran into a girl named Caroline Southway.
I was in the bar, observing solders, attempting to learn their personality. When I had started observing Caroline, I noticed her eyes made her look blind.I approached her and asked "Are you blind?" A second later, I realized I may have offended her. Before I could apologize, she explained that it was an illness she had since she was born. When I retreated back into my thoughts, I was mainly thinking about how stupid I was for asking that question.
Anyway, we appear to have another mission. In LA. My birth place. Does it mean much? No. I was there for about 7 months as an infant, then we moved to Chicago. Though it still stung. What if my parents were down there and died? Even though I think like a machine most of the time, I have feelings. I just hope they're okay. They moved back to LA after I bought my own apartment. Though part of me knew they were dead. Or abducted. Either way, they'll be dead before this invasion ends.
I think I'll end my journal here... AH FUCK! *sob*
*Recording over*

Rosen0x5

Name: Richard Kuklinski
Class: Heavy
Confirmed Kills: 7
Journal Entry #3 / March 24th 2015

God, its 5:30 AM. The entire base just woke up, apperently theres aliens terrorising someone somewhere again. I was suprised and quite frankly relieved that I was not picked to be on this mission. I mean, 4 missions in a row? I'm no super hero. Lemarque, Largo, Gorefest and Robinson are going out on this one. However, I might aswell add an entry to my journal reguarding my third mission. Dont know why I've been holding it off for so long.

It was March 10th when Ritofuto, Gorefest, Largo and myself were sent to eliminate all hostiles from a crashed UFO. It was rather mindblowing when I laid eyes on a real UFO, I even got to touch it. Anyway, we landed on a farm. It looked deserted and really beat up. "The crash landing must have been pretty bad" I said to myself while moving towads a Meld stash "No way anyone could have walked out of there alive".

Just as we were almost there, a sectoid runs right infront of us, Gorefest was swift and managed to injure it before it took cover. At the same time another one managed to position itself on the left side of us. Gorefest ran in and finished the job by putting a few more bullets into the sectoids head. And Largo took out the second one with little effort. After we got the Meld, we proceeded to the second stash.

We made it to the second Meld stash safely, with no further contacts. Ritofuto went a little bit beyond that and spotted a... I dont know what that was. It proved no match for a rocket tho, but wasting a rocket on it seemed... wasteful. The Commander however believed it was more than worth it, said I contributed a lot with that action, and Im not about to argue with him, I''m not paying for these rockets!

After that, it was just 2 more sectoids. My squad finished those off in a hurry, they stood no chance. After that, we packed up and headed for home. Now here I am, not going on this mission. Somehow I feel bad for Largo, never seen a frown on that face, always trying to make things fun around this place but no one even appreciated it when he tried to throw a "Movie Night" or whatever. Screw it, when he comes back im gonna tell him I'll be there, got nothing better to do.

Almost forgot, the Commander wants a team slogan. I'll just write "You mess with one of us, you mess with all of us" on this here page and slide it under his door. Makes us look like we're team players, I like it. My gang really liked that slogan. He also wants people to step up and spread the knowledge, well the only knowledge I can spread is how to disasemble and keep weapons in working condition. I guess I'll make a few flyers and spread em around the base. 30th of march sounds like a good day for training to me, I'll ask the requisitions officer for a few rifles and pistols.
Hopefully this will shed some light on why keeping a weapon in good condition could save your life.

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member
Name: James Nightingale

Audio Journal 3

My new life has begun, I'm trying to put my anxiety to better use. I put a requisition request in for some wood, glue, and a couple of carving knives. I don't know if the request will go through but it is worth a try. I am trying my best to stay away from the bar and alcohol but hey what is a few drinks here and there. I spend most of my time away from the bunk and in the range though it has been busy lately. One of the recruits Steve Maltus is training people down there, I wanted to ask to join along but he was busy so I didn't bother. Before I left though I saw the weirdest thing I have ever saw, a girl with milky white eyes who was practicing shooting. I went down to the bar later for a quick bite and there she was, talking to one of the scientists I didn't quite catch his name and she looked calm but you could tell she was agitated. After he walked away I walked up next to her and looked at her, before I could speak she held up a hand and said in a very regal British accent "If you ask if I am blind I swear I will smack this bottle across the back of your skull." She was feisty all right but I only responded " If I was gonna mention your eyes I would only say that they are beautiful and it's nice to see another brit' around here." I then walked away.

According to field reports our operations are going well, I mean none of us are dead. I have to say though that I am pissed some of our rookies including me are not seeing any action. Hopefully we do see action before it is to late. Anyways things are going fine, I'm finally getting into the groove of things around here. I wake up at around 3:45 A.M., shower, eat the usual. At around 6:25 A.M. I head to the gym for a couple of hours. Shooting practice after that, Lunch, back to gym, etc. Pretty boring but I have never been better. This week the commander asked all of the recruits for a slogan for XCOM. I have have one, " We are the diverse, the few, and the last line of defense for the world we love."

(Recording Ends)

Hokucho

Log Entry #3: 10:12 March 24th 2015 of Squaddie Hokuchiyo "Hoku" Ritofuto. Sniper Division.

Maybe the first mission wasn't a fluke. This downed UFO reconnisance mission for the retrieval team went of without a hitch, despite having aliens on-site when we arrived. A quick summary: Kuklinski and myself, as well as fresh-feet Gorefest and Largo were able to touch down at a UFO crash site courtasy of our local X-Com fighter division, an we were able to retrieve two of those canisters as well as investigate the downed craft and engage the enemy there without any injuries to our own team, now for the longer version:

The squad touched down very close to the downed UFO, a little bigger then the Skyranger by the look of things when we flew over it. We didn't see anything initially but we had eyes on one of those canisters again and we immidiately made for it as per the commander's orders, thankfully, unlike last time we had better cover as we moved up. When we neared it we had eyes on two of the little grey Sectoids again. They were dealt with rather swiftly despite some initial disadvantageous position upon the initial sighting. The canister was then collected for the scientists back at Headquarters to examine and I moved forward again past the... Rear of the UFO I believe. We then encountered a new lifeform to contend with.

The thing looked almost bug-like in nature to me, that or some sort of metal plated energy source, like out of those fantasy future-age video games. When I passed by the UFO's rear door (which look like glowing walls of light instead of a solid thing) I noted a flating orange crystaline-ish mass. It spontaneously grew into this eyeless, plated thing, gun in hand. I had no idea what to expect and thankfully I didn't have to find out as Kuklinski let loose a rocket and blew the thing into whatever dimension it came from. Instead of dying, the thing just... Vanished when it 'died', in truth, I am not sure if we killed the creature or not, but it didn't come back, so I'm assuming that was the case. Surprisingly, the UFO was empty after that, but we heard noises coming from a nearby barn and went to investigate.

When we all stumbled upon the two aliens hiding in the barn, we all moved to flanking positions and surrounded them. They had little place to go and we all fired upon them... And all simultaneously missed. Tragic, but it was thankfully without recourse as they were only able to retreat further. I decided to follow them from afar and flanked around a little shack of sorts and poste behind some farming equipment. I caught sight of one of the aliens as it was doing that 'brain-link' with the other and shouldered my rifle (the thing is just to damn cumbersome for me) and drew my sidearm and fired upon the linkee. I wounded it, but the alien seemed to be able to hold focus on its mind-melding to its ally, not that it helped. I couldn't see it from where I was, but given who called in the kill, one of the newer soldiers, Gorefast, had finished the one I wounded from the opposite end of the front of the barn.

That was it, no injuries and we returned home. Largo began to pitch an idea about a 'movie night' and I made a quip about being 'highly offended' if they played an old movie from my homeland, purely in jest. I think I am starting to understand American Humor and its sarcasm better. Regardless, I said I would be happy to join, it seems like a good idea to boost moralle around the base if things get dire.

Me and Kuklinski are taking a break this time, as Lemarque and Robinson are going with Largo and Gorefest, who recieved their promotions to Heavy and Sniper respectively, maybe I can learn something from Gorefest on how to wield these large bolt-actions. I need to remember to talk to Kuklinski when I get a chance, learn more about him. At the moment I will give the best of luck to the away-team, especially Lemarque, I'm confident he will be fine, but there is the chance of thigns happening, and Lemarque has had he worst of it I think.

Operations Head Bradford has... Requested that I be evaluated for psychiatric evaluation following touchdown on my last mission in order to check my mental state in regards to the mission where things went fairly bad for, what I am going to call, "Home Team" if that is going to be approved. I figgure since Kuklinski, Lemarque, Robinson, and myself were the F.I.L.O. of the XCom project thus far, I thought it to be an apt title. I'll have to ask the others.

I at first rejected Bradford's proposal, thinking it silly, but the proposal was re-requested and I gave in, if only to prove to them what I already know, I am fine mentally and physically. The moment of panic I had during that incident was for the sake of Lemarque. I did not panic, I merely responded in an unconventional way to ensure that my squadmate was going to be alright.

The Commander was asking us to make a slogan as well, as with my proposal of "Home Team" for the first-four to encounter the aliens, I like Kuklinski's proposal for the slogan 'mess with one, mess with all' idea. It is cliche' but maybe we can make it work, or at least reword it? At the time I have no other suggestions. Maybe I can brainstorm the ideas with Lemarque and Robinson alongside Kuklinski when they return.

In the meantime, I am going to be offering my hand at using sidearms in the gunrange as well as the importance of positioning should anyone desire my assistance while I am not needed on the field of battle. My Pre-XCom experience in both of these fields should prove useful, as well as aid in tactics and hardware we now use. I am going to personally ask Miss. Southway if she would like to spend some time with me in this matter, as the only one who checked on us (although passively to some) while we were indesposed in the infirmary, I find myself apt to wanting to help her further herself.

Last edited:

too_spooked

(This is a collaboration between too_spooked or 'Roger Straten,' Gahlo or 'Quincy Fuller' and BMPixy or 'Raymond Shen')
Name: Roger Straten Occupation: Engineer working with the X-COM Project
Age: 38 Current Whereabouts at the beginning of this journal: The shooting range
Date: March 24th, 2015
//Begin Journal

I didn't know what troubled Steve. I never was interested at gauging a person's mood by observing their micro-expressions and all that other bullshit that shrinks are into. I can only assume that he's affected to a certain degree by post-traumatic stress disorder, but even then, it isn't difficult by any stretch of the word to figure out if someone has been traumatized by something. Based on his background, probably has to do with one of his comrades dying on the field of battle. I didn't have the time to get into it, I had more important matters to do than speaking with someone about their problems for forty five minutes every Wednesday. I've gotten past mine, and hopefully Steve can get past his.

Our first satellite rolled off the production line today, and boy, does it look beautiful. Thankfully, due to my ingenuity, the satellite will only take several days to become operational over the country of the commander's choosing, X-COM certainly is lucky to have such a valuable asset. We've already identified that alien ships 'cloak' themselves to make themselves invisible to the naked eye and to a conventional satellite. The alien ships do this by bending light rays around themselves to make their ships undetectable, because if light cannot reach an object, you cannot see it. But their cloaking technology is imperfect, our satellites function by detecting these warped rays, which do not occur normally on this planet, and using them to find the source of the distortion, in this case, the alien craft. The satellite then begins streaming the location of the UFO to HQ in real time, which triggers the alarm and sends an image to the holo-globe for the Commander's viewing. This allows our fighter jets, equipped with same technology, to intercept and engage the alien craft before it begins doing something that harms humans, our infrastructure, or our planet. Truly ingenious, the works of our minds in the labs and the exceptional craftsmanship of engineers such as I.

Aside from a second satellite which Commander Odd ordered, the engineering team has received more schematics from the brains next door. A vest crafted from alien materials which follow the same principles as armor currently being developed from the bark spider's silk. Similarly to the spider silk vests, our state-of-the-art nano-fiber vests utilize tightly woven strands of material in order to absorb the energy of the bullet before it can puncture the soldier's skin. Those strands are more advanced than any spider silk or kevlar strands could ever strive to be. Fabricated out of thin carbon nano-tube fibers along with a gel-like alien substance bonding the strands with one another, their tensile strength is unmatched. It can stop even the highest caliber rounds at only 3cm thickness! But unfortunately, due to the high manufacturing cost of the material the vest can only be made several millimeters thick and still be economically feasible. Along with the incredible stopping power against projectile weapons they're extraordinarily resistant against extremely high temperatures! Say, a plasma bolt? The impediment of the otherwise lethal plasma will most assuredly increase the lifespan of our field operatives, and lucky Mrs. Robinson is our first customer. Hopefully it holds out as a viable source of protection on the field, but of course, we'll know after they come back from their latest mission.

I heard word from the lab boys that they're finally beginning to study the orange, crystalline substance found in those ominous canisters which they have unofficially dubbed 'Meld.' Early reports that got leaked apparently say that the crystals have incredible bonding power. Like a form of super glue. I can't wait to hear more, especially since they've appeared everywhere that our men have found aliens. I wonder if they use it to hold their space ships together, or as a method to bond their weapons with their skin, to ensure that they self-destruct upon their deaths, or maybe even to see if humans will bond with other objects, as an experiment of sorts? It's really difficult to assume, but the preliminary reports are extremely promising if anything.

Aside from engineering, I'm glad to say that I've been acquainted with the majority of the facility's personnel. I've met incredibly outgoing and social individuals, including Ryan Chen and Steve Maltus, and more secluded folks, like Abbygail and a scientist named Quincy Fuller, the later of whom mumbled his name almost unintelligibly as I introduced myself to him. I was passing through the laboratory, exchanging casual 'hellos' and 'how are you doings' with the geeks as they burrowed their faces in their screens, when he bumped into me while a large stack of boxes and beakers lay balanced precariously in his sweaty hands.

"Hey, watch it man, don't drop that equipment!" I cautioned him. The various beakers and boxes he had hoisted up to his waist careened back and forth like a boat on a rough day at sea. As soon as I was sure they were going to fall, I lightly pushed them back in position, thanks to me, he didn't spill lab equipment likely worth thousands of dollars. "Roger Straten by the way, just thought you should know the guy who saved you from immediate termination's name." I said, extending my arm to shake his hands, who struggled to keep the boxes afloat. "Oh wait! Haha, looks like your hands are full."

"Quincy Fuller, charmed..." he muttered as he breezed by me. Once again, I'm absolutely, one hundred percent no expert on the psychology stuff, I tend to leave that to the shrinks, but it was pretty easy to tell he was a very anxious individual. Of course, I wasn't sure exactly what troubled him, but I did know that was troubled. That there is the extent of my knowledge in the vast and wonderful field of shrink-ology. The only branch of science where saying 'uh huh' for forty five minutes and earning a hundred grand a year is perfectly acceptable.

After my encounter with Fuller, I was back in the engineering bays. Dr. Shen was overseeing construction on the second satellite, which at the moment, was in its bare skeletal parts. "Ah, Roger, I'm glad you could join us! We need another Engineer to help construct this satellite." he requested with welcoming arms. "Eine moment bitte." I spoke, in rudimentary German. "Picking up some words from Dr. Vahlen I see?" Shen chuckled, and while he wasn't completely right, I had been taking courses for several months prior to my recruitment, I didn't call him out on it.

"Ja, ich habe." I replied. The German language was orderly, engaging in pronunciation, and complex enough to convince me to at least attempt to try to grasp it. It was in January, as I recall, that I made a New Year's Resolution to learn German to impress my colleges at my workplace. A great deal of my friends at my workplace were bilingual, the occasional one friend even being trilingual. Such a feat impressed me enough to sought out a brand new language to learn, and as I expected, I rapidly rose to become fluent at it. Of course, I didn't have knowledge of any other dialects than the one I was taught. I'm not even sure what dialect it was that I was taught in the first place...

Anyways, Dr. Shen and I proceeded to speak to each other in German as I was working that day, and boy, the other engineer's faces were tomato-red as they tried to keep their composure. Sighing, moaning and complaints scattered the bay every few minutes. I'm not positive any of them spoke German aside from Dr. Shen's rather limited vocabulary and my much vaster one. It did not impede our work surprisingly, as the engineers here were the absolute finest, and simply KNEW how to gauge what I was doing without me even giving any verbal prompts. Oh boy, the simplest pleasures in life are often the greatest. Dr. Shen and I had quite a round of fun that night, which was... four days ago to be exact, on the 20th.

I'm aware that Dr. Vahlen is of Germanic descent, but I have yet to try to communicate with her in her dominant language. Perhaps next time I'm in labs and don't have people shove lab equipment into me I might try to hold a conversation with her in her native tongue. But of course, that's only if she can spare the time, which not many of us have much of.

As for our soldiers, the saviours of humanity that I have I personally met are, Kuklinski, Ritofuto, Robinson and Lemarque. I have not yet had the pleasure of acquainting myself with our newest squaddies, Largo or Gorefest, interesting last name by the way, but I am hoping to in the future. But considering they've all made it back in relatively one piece I'd say the S.C.O.P.Es and Medi-kits we've dished out have been a positive influence to their survival. As stated earlier, Robinson is going to be donning the Nano-fiber Vest, so I pray that extra little tidbit of gelatinous alien sludge that coats those woven carbon nanotubes will be the thing that means life or death in a critical situation for her. Good luck soldiers, and may Operation whatever designation mission control assigns it to be a complete and utter success for our men.
//End Journal

Last edited:

Meaningofbread

How to survive an Alien Invasion

By: Elizabeth Grey - Rookie

Chapter two: Left in the Cold - Making Connections with other squadmates

Three missions down now. I have to say, that certainly went a lot smoother than the previous one. All those little scumbags from Planet Asshole went down without a cinch. I still don't trust my commander and my fellow squad mates fully, but there are some I may need to establish connections with in order to solidify my holdings at the base.

This Ryan Chen man seems like someone everybody should know. He reminds me of some of the old smuggling and black markets traders I used in Japan. Still, he has shifty eyes, and if I know anything, that means that betrayal could be imminent.

Another note is to gain contacts on the engineering and science departments. From what I've gathered during my years as crime leader, it's always good to have contacts in R&D. My two "targets" as some may put it are a self-centered engineer named Roger Straten, and a paranoid lunkhead who goes by "Quincy Fuller".

Right now these three people go will be my mains. From there branching out will be ultimately necessary.

But aha! Future reader of this survival guide, WHY, you may ask, WHY is this even a thing to be doing? You ARE surrounded by the best and brightest right?

Ha!

Yeah, kinda. While at the shooting range I took a peek at the scores that everyone had listed. Thank god that drunk guy was causing a scene, I'm not entirely sure I would have made it into the testing room without his distraction. Anyways, I took a good look at the marks, and it turns out, well, I sure as hell am dead last in most of the categories. I apparently have one of the lowest aims around, and apparently my will score is abysmal (how in the hell do they even calculate that?). So, since I'm not going out into the field, I may as well learn what I can, and as soon as this stupid ass war is over, I can bring what I know back to the criminal organizations. Earning me a pretty profit and a nice FBI proof bunker in Malta.

Alas, whatever I do, I must do it very soon.

- End of Chapter Two

Last edited:
Name: Buster A. Bradford
Date: March 24th, 2015

This is the audio log of Central Officer Buster A. Bradford regarding Operation Burning Paramour in Kanagawa Prefecture, Japan. This audio log is to be accessed only by those who have the necessary clearance and on base. Any attempts to download this audio log to an external source will carry an automatic ten-year sentence in a federal prison.

Just after I finished recording the previous audio log, one of our satellites pinged an alien craft heading towards Japan. It didn’t matter if the aliens were going to flatten Tokyo or abduct civilians; we had a rare chance to stop one of these attacks from happening. The past two operations we’ve had dealt with the aftermath of these abductions; perhaps this is an encouraging sign that the aliens could be stopped before they reached the ground.

We scrambled one of the fighter jets stationed at base and we were lucky enough to score enough hits to take down the Alien craft. To my relief, the crash was in a sparsely populated area rather than the urban center, which could have caused far more casualties. I’ll have to commend the pilot for being the first to go toe-to-toe with the far superior craft and winning but also sustaining minimal damage to his jet in the fight. The budget is stretched pretty tight as it is and I’m not so sure if the X-COM project would allow funding for a new jet given their stinginess with their money.

A four-man team was selected to go on the Skyranger and I was a bit surprised to see Ritofuto leading the squad. I thought I had sent him an email about attending psych classes, but I’ll send it again just in case. There's no way that he could have passed the test and be declared fit for duty so quickly. I mean, I understand that X-COM is made up from the best of the best and I'm used to having the misfits barely able to operate a switchboard in Kosovo but still... The Dutchman Gorefest and the German Largo were the two rookies selected with Kluklinski rounding out the squad. I guess having a Japanese speaker would come in handy just in case locals were in the area; not all Japanese people could understand English.

Given the outcome of the previous mission, I was troubled about how this mission would turn out. My fears turned out to be unfounded; we sustained no casualties whilst completing our objective. The two rookies showed calmness under a tough situation tracking down two of the final ‘sectoids’ and we’ve given them promotions, along with re-training in their specialized field. Gorefest was given sniper training while Largo was given heavy weapons training.

Morale at the base has gone back up; when the Skyranger returned back to base, there were a few cheers from those gathered around. It was good to see the soldiers being able to walk off the Skyranger and shake people’s hands rather than being carted off by medical personnel. I’m hoping that our bar doesn’t have to been completely re-stocked; seems like after every mission, our soldiers drain the entire bar for the enlisted folk. I would be instituting rations if I was still working at Yokota Air Base in Japan but honestly, as long as the men are not drunk during missions, I’m fine with it. Plus, we officers have our own bar with a far superior grade of alcohol; the beer they have is barely an improvement over piss. I guess rank has its privileges…

Sorry I digress. I would edit that out, but I got your recent email about how you wanted my audio logs to be more of a stream of consciousness style log rather than an edited, more concise version. I have no idea why you want me to just ramble on about how each mission went and my thoughts on the matter, but then again if you wanted concise then you would just read the mission files that one of my assistants sent to you.

We encountered a new type of alien and based on Dr Vahlen’s initial readings, it was a being of pure energy. It seemed a bit more durable than the previous aliens we dealt with before, but a rocket seemed to do the trick. From my vantage point I’m not sure if Kluklinski scored a direct hit on our new alien, but he must have due to the alien’s body disappearing completely.

We completed research on the alien materials we’ve been coming across and managed to reverse-engineer the materials to make a nano-viber vest that our soldiers can wear. It’s surprisingly durable for its weight; it should help us keep our soldiers alive should they get hit. The Commander has decided to go with researching the material we find in those canisters; I’m intrigued with what purpose they serve. If it wasn’t important, then why do our encounters with the aliens have them in the vicinity? Perhaps they contain some sort of healing gel that the aliens use for wounds or are simply supply drops to help the aliens kidnap human beings. The research should clear this up.

An abnormally long time has passed between attacks; after having to respond to two distress calls and one crash site in about ten days, we’ve failed to pick up anything over the next ten. No new contacts, no new abductions so far. Some of the soldiers relaxed while others read books or watched movies. There was some drinking but not as much as I thought there would be; I guess the soldiers have learned moderation during their three weeks here.

I understand your report is coming in about a week or so, and that I have to handle talking to the individual countries about our progress in combating the alien threat, but do you really expect me to attempt to justify triage to the Mexicans or the Egyptians? I humbly request that you guys explain to them why the council has seen fit to only fund the X-COM project with one Skyranger.

<End of Audio Recording>

PrinceZarek

Personal Log 003
Name: Arsène Lamarque
Current Status: Reserves
Confirmed Kills: 5 Sectoids

If there is one thing I hate more than these aliens we are fighting, its being cooped up in a sterile environment for days on end. Ryan Chen is an damn hero in my book, without his "support" my stay in the infirmary would've dragged on forever. I have to remember to be sure to repay his kindness next time I'm at the bar. I glanced over the report from our recent mission in Japan, no casualties or injuries whatsoever. I just hope our next mission runs as smoothly as that, I'm not sure we can afford another incident like in Shanghai.

Officer Bradford put me through psychiatric screening, because of what occurred in China. It was rough, remembering what happened that night. All I know is I let my squad down. I was in charge and what did I do when I got hit? I panicked. I'm supposed to lead everyone and I start yelling just because I'm hurt?! I'm sure the others don't blame me for reacting the way I did, after all I was the first one to get wounded in action, we had no idea what it would feel like. In my mind however, that is no excuse. If you're the one in command, you're supposed to keep everyone focused on the mission, not lose your cool in the heat of battle. I just hope if Rebecca, Hoku, or Richard have lost faith in my ability to fight, I will be able to redeem myself. I can't let my comrades think I'm a liability.

The following is a collaboration between myself and PrismaCube "Caroline Southway"

After the psych screening, I had to calm my nerves. For some odd reason, whenever I pass by the laboratory I'm always calmed. It's probably my sister Cecile's influence. I hope she's alright. Before all this happened she was with CERN at the LHC, I'm sure she and everyone else with her are out of harm's way. I heard rumors that the glowing substance we have come across is being researched, I wonder what applications we could use it for.

"What are you looking at?", a voice, notably British, came up from behind me. I turned around to find a short redheaded woman. I immediately took notice of her grey eyes.

I had heard the rumor about the incident involving a soldier asking if she was blind, I don't think I want to repeat that.

I placed my hand on the window, "Nothing really, I had heard they're running tests on that weird substance we've found so far."

She glanced inside, "Fascinating material, but also disturbing. Who knows what will happen once we find out what it is for."

"I don't know, maybe it is some sort of healing agent or fuel of some sort." I braced myself against the wall, "I don't believe we've met before, I'm Arsène Lamarque."

"Caroline Southway, a pleasure." she replied with a smile.

That smile... it reminded me of whenever royalty visited Canada, she must be nobility of some sort, or at the very least upper-class.

"My comrades and I got shot to pieces for that stuff, whatever it is, the guys in there better be grateful." I grabbed my arm out of instinct.

Caroline glanced at my bandaged shoulder, "Still not fully recovered?"

I gave a reassuring look, "Its almost there. The docs are taking the bandages off tomorrow."

A few minutes passed, Caroline and I watched Dr. Vahlen and her crew run various tests and experiments on the mystery substance.

I glanced at my watch, "Its getting kinda late, I probably should be getting some rest soon. Thats what the docs told me to do anyway."

"Would you mind if I walked back with you to the barracks?" Caroline replied with that noble smile of hers.

"Not at all, after you."

Caroline and I walked back together, discussing life before joining X-COM. She told me about her grandfather, and how he taught her to shoot. She also told me about her skills with the harp. I'm pretty good with a violin, I'll send a requisition order to Bradford for one, though admittedly I am rusty. Perhaps we could start an musical group to boost troop morale.

After a long walk together, Caroline stopped, presumably this was her room, "Well, this is where we part ways. It was nice meeting you Arsène. Pleasant dreams"

I made a slight bow, "And to you as well, Caroline. Goodnight."

Walking away, I touched my locket.

Pleasant dreams, huh? If only…

End collaboration

The next morning I was informed of another mission, this time in the United States, Los Angeles to be exact. Rebecca and I are both going out on this one. Its good to be fighting beside her again. I know the two of us are itching to get out there and make up for all the time we spent in the med-bay. I introduced myself to Gorefest and Largo, our two newest squaddies who are going along with us. They seem very eager to prove themselves on the battlefield. I hope they don't take too many risks. I don't want them to end up like me and get shot on only their second mission. I hope we all get through this ok, and we can get back to celebrating our return like we did on our first outing.

Last edited:

Wisekill1

Japan, UFO crash site 01.
One hour after operation: BURNING PARAMOUR.
Voice capture recordings Johan De Fries; leader of the X-COM recovery team.

"You've got to be kidding me..." Said a feminine voice that obviously belonged to Hera.

"Nope..." Was the simply response of Johan.

"No way..." Muttered another member of the cleanup crew.

"Errrm, let's collect all the small stuff first, we'll deal with the UFO last." Commanded Johan.

- Some time later-

"boss, I have a tiny bit of a problem, you remember the reports mentioning an different alien yes?" Asked Hera again

"Yes?"

"Well... It seems like we might have lost him."

"Lost?"

"Yup, there isn't a slightest hint of it, I know that it was hit with a rocket, but there should be something."

"Well... Uhmm... Let's just never talk about it again ok? Maybe they'll forget it or something."

"Boss, are you sure tha-"

"It's a fine idea, get everything that can be moved into the Chinook. Collecting the bodies was your responsibility so you're in charge of getting this UFO back to the base, have fun!"

"You can't be serio-"

"I'm leaving, your responsibility! Bye!"

--- Back at X-XOM HQ --- (This is a collaboration between Psilon (Cerise Vahlen) and Wisekill1 (Johan de Fries)

Johan ended up regretting that decision, there was some turbulence in the helicopter during their ride back to the HQ. Long story short he was now "Overseeing" the base security personnel with a lot more green spots on his clothes than there had been when he got on the helicopter. When he arrived at the labs Doctor Vahlen greeted him.

"Welcome to the lab mister De Fries." Vahlen looks at Johan from the tip of your boots to his hair, as Johan simply says "Hey" in response. "I see you've been hard at work. I know that isn't, strictly speaking, your job, but do do you have any information on when the ship parts will be arriving?" She asks

"Sure, the rest of my team will arrive with everything too big to fit in the Chinook in a few hours, I'm just here to escort the fragments, bodies and glowing stuff." Answered Johan.

"Glowing stuff. You mean the MELD, I suppose. How have you been treating the substance, as you loaded it up? Were you treating it as a volatile or not?" She says, looking behind at a notebook.

"We've treated it as good as you can expect a professional team to treat a unknown and possibly dangerous substance." Responded Johan. "This MELD is kept in the containers over there." He said as he pointed at a two large stainless steel crates. "It's sealed airtight."

"I see..." she nods to herself, writing something down, before turning back to face Johan. "And that container over there?" She asks as she pointed at a smaller stainless steel crate.

"If you mean the container with the weapon fragments in them then yes, it's also airtight." He replied

"I meant what it contained. You should start using surface markers."

"I should yes, not sure if I'm going to do it though." Johan said with a smile.

"What do you mean you might not?" She asked, almost benignly. Almost.

"Because it's easier not to." He answered with a genuine smile. "Besides, the transport containers are mass produced, the MELD will always be in the same one, just as the fragments and corpses. You'll get used to it easily."

"And what if you can't fit them in a single container? I'm sure we'll be seeing more of them, as their commanding officers notice how easily our soldiers are besting their ground forces. A little paint would do wonders."

Johan raised an eyebrow at that "If an alien doesn't fit in a single container we'll just have to cut it in half before sending it to the headquarters." He said without even the slightest hint of the laughter he was holding back.

"You can't do that!" Her voice rose in pitch. "Might as well not bother if you do that!"

"Why" Johan asked, now he was clearly smiling "Can't you just paste the two parts back together in your lab?"

"Paste together in the lab? That might work on the macrostructural level, but we wouldn't be able to study what goes where between the two parts, and considering most corpses come here in a terrible condition as is, we need to extract as much information as possible from each one."

"Take it easy doc, I'm just messing with you." Johan said. "I'll make sure the coffins have a single green stripe on them. I have something else to ask you though. The alien blood and small bits of the bodies that we recover, Alien cocktails as we like to call them, do you really need them?" He asked "They're a pain in the ass to collect from the ground."

She exhales, obviously relieved. "Ah I see...my apologies. I fear my sense of humor isn't what it used to be, since I got here. And I fear that before we've analyzed them, I won't be able to give a definitive answer to that. We haven't had the time to really see what function they perform, and we're uncertain if our blood containment procedures don't cause damage that we can't detect with the more coarse measures we use to verify integrity right now, so we'd appreciate a constant flow, for when we finally do have the time."

"Ok than doc, I should be going then, or is there something else you'd like to ask me?"

"Two more things. Firstly I wanted to ask if your...employees that moved to the base have been keeping record of their sleep schedule, like I asked, and if you have protocols you can hand me over."

"As far as I know my collegues are writing down their sleeping schedules, but I have a policy no to become involved in what happens in their beds. And I'll have a copy of the protocols we keep with me when I deliver the next pile of alien bodies."

"Thank you. And also thank you, for your diligent work, since joining the X-com project. Your efforts and care towards the artifacts you brought have greatly helped the research team speed their work up."

"It's been my pleasure doc, I'll see you around."

Vahlen nods and takes a seat on one of the lab tables, as Johan leaves with a smile on his face. She was easy to mess with, he was already looking forward to his next opportunity to mess with her.

Grelite

Name: Tarrmis Gorefest

Tarrmis dropped his weights with a grunt when the alarms sounded. The calm in the gym was over. Above him he heard the frantic movement of feet as he made his way toward the barracks. He almost knocked one of the operators from the Command Centre off her feet as she was rushing to get a sight of the action. With nothing to go by, Tarrmis did not know whether to be worried or excited something was going on. When he asked around the barracks what was going on he was met with shrugs and bouts of "probably aliens". But when Tarrmis was called down to mission prep, he knew he was about to find out.

The body armour fit like a glove and soon he was stood next to the squad he was to be sent out with. He thought he caught a glimpse of the Commander when he was handed a S.C.O.P.E., a piece of equipment for which there had recently been a separate training session to teach the soldiers how to quickly move it to the side-arm and back to their rifle. As soon as they were all suited up the squad was sent into the Skyranger with nothing more than: "You'll be briefed during the flight." Before the hatch was even fully closed the Skyranger started rising out of the hangar; they were obviously in a hurry.

It was on the flight that Tarrmis first heard mention of the UFO that was shot down by one of X-COM's interceptors. The alien vessel had crashed and the squad was being sent in to investigate the site. It struck him this happened so soon after he had vocalized the observation that no transportation for the aliens had yet been seen, but spent little time on the thought. What was more pressing was that he was about to investigate a crashed UFO on his first mission. His experience investigating was thorough, but those were possible gang hideouts. It was likely he was not sent in for his investigative skills, but rather for his ability to shoot things that fought unconventionally.

The smell in the air around the deployment site was strange; there was definitely something burning, but it was impossible for Tarrmis to identify. What occupied him more than the smell, however, was the impending encounter with extra-terrestrial lifeforms. Lifeforms he was assigned to assign a proper dose of bullets. The actual encounter, however, wasn't more than a blur to him. He knows he had seen aliens. Hell, he'd run right up to one, stared it in the face and then shot it between its 'eyes'.

One thing that remained clear as day, though. Upon approach of the alien vessel a being appeared unlike the others they had encountered. It seemed clad in full body-armour. But before Tarrmis could get a good look at it, a rocket exploded in its face. When the smoke cleared he could not see anything left of it. He remembers Doctor Vahlen saying something as it ran out of the ship, but he could not remember what. The explosion still ringing in his ears, he almost missed the Commander's orders to move up to clear out the rest of the aliens. It wasn't until the flight back that he wondered why none of the other aliens wore armour like that.

Being promoted came as a surprise. It was not that he doubted his abilities, yet he did not feel he had exerted himself beyond the others. Of course, the promotion from Rookie to Squaddie eventually made sense to him; with the experience on the field he no longer felt like a rookie. He took pride in his accomplishments and would tell the tales of the battlefield to do who would ask, but only after he'd had a good night's sleep. Now, when not sharing his experience with others, he finds himself at the range, getting used to the new role he was cast into. Yet the weight of the sniper's rifle felt nothing like the weight Tarrmis now felt upon himself, knowing that what was out there would only be stopped by him and his team.

Thenlar

Ryan Chen, Rookie.
Personal Log, March 15th.

Well, third time outside the wire went better. No injuries to our people, buncha dead aliens. Plus apparently some new ... thing got lost in a rocket blast. Eh, war is hell, huh?

I was scouting around in the hangar, when I saw one of those big ass transport helos come in, and a buncha guys jumped out and started unloading crates of stuff. All the material left in the battlefield: all the weapon parts, alien parts, and equipment salvaged from the UFO. I did happen to note they had plenty of space left in there, maybe I could convince someone to ... ah.. tactically acquire some extra things left on the battlefield. The owners are probably dead already, anyways.

I moseyed over to give 'em a hand and get to know the crew. The dude in charge didn't seem to notice, he got called away to talk to the chief egghead, so I buddied up to one of the mules. It took him a minute to realize I was in the soldier base uniform.

"Hey, wait a minute, you're one of the troops, what the heck are you doing here?"

I just shrugged. "Sure am, but I'm a reserve body. Haven't seen any action, and I'm going stir-crazy. Figured I'd give you gents ... and lady a hand." I almost didn't notice the burly valkryie looking chick with a clipboard, looking perplexed.

He looked around and then shrugged also. We worked for a couple minutes before he spoke up again. "Y'know, we only get to see the battlefield after it's done. And it's always a bleedin' mess. Aren't you scared?"

I dropped the crate I was holding and wiped my head while I figured out an answer. "Yeah. Sorta. I mean, you'd have to be friggin' crazy not to be scared. But what can we do, yeah? Humanity's under attack, we might be wiped the fuck out. So... we fight. Nowhere else to go. Ever forward into the jaws of death."

He snorted. "What, you some kinda poet?"

I just grinned and waved him off. Turning, I noticed their bossman returning from their chat. I scarpered. I'll work on getting on his good side later.

Personal Log, March 18th.

Just making a quick note for myself. Caught a glance inside Engineering earlier today. Some fancy high-tech stuff in there. Fabricators and all sorts of cutting edge tools. I really want to get my hands on that stuff, just to work with it. I realized that the qualifications for that job were way over my head. Pft, bachelors. These guys gotta have doctorates, at least. But it could be good experience to have, if we survive this whole alien invasion thing. I'm gonna see if I can catch up to the chief engineer later, ask him if I can intern or something.

Personal Log, March 24th.

Oh shit, LA. I used to visit there when I was stationed in San Diego. They got those hot dogs wrapped in bacon on the street carts late at night... god those things were amazing. Locals just called them "street dogs" or "bacon-wrappeds." Street dogs sounds cooler.

Hmm... I'm gonna go grab the cleanup crew guys, see if we can work something out. I bet some street dogs would be a nice change from the standard military-issue chow we got here (seriously, it's like there's a factory pumping out the same food for military bases around the world). After the fight, when they go in, maybe they can raid a cart and make off with a pile of the things. Or even better yet, the whole damn cart. I guess I better talk to the crew leader before they go out. What was his name.. Johan? Yeah. Johan.

Last edited:

Zain Shah

Leroy Jenkins

Skyranger Pilot

Journal #1

I found this old book so I figured I'd might as well keep a journal. Turns out that X-COM is saving the world from ALIENS! This out of a goddamn video game or something. The skyranger is amazing; it's got VTOL technology that I haven't even seen before and it travels at hypersonic speed. My point is that the skyranger is possibly the best aircraft I ever have and will fly. We don't seem to get many alerts, so I've only taken it out 3 times in the last month and the rest of the time I've been huddled up in my room. At least we haven't had to grab a body bag for the month so at least our commander is a little capable.

I was bored and I'd never shot a gun before but I tried my hand it but let's just say there is a good reason I'm up there in the skyranger rather than on the battlefield. I should really talk to someone just so I don't sit in my room all day but there's a rumour that some guy is selling the contraband, and I don't think that X-COM will have the bar open often so I might need to do some trading with this guy. I'm sure I can sneak some stuff past security in the skyranger and I'm sure that I will be able to...persuade them to let me smuggle it in. I'm no heavy drinker but I like booze and the more, the better.

That's all for now.

Leroy Jenkins signing off.

Last edited:

Choppychop

NAME: Alexander McCraig
KILLS: 1
Oh man, oh man!

Commander, do you know what cabin fever is? It's when you don't have any fru- wait, no that's scurvy. The point I'm trying to make is I feel like one of the few soldiers in the infirmary: all cooped up wanting desperately to help but unable to for whatever reason. I mean honestly, it's not like all I'm good for is air-to-air combat! I used to drop bombs...albeit by accident, but the ground forces didn't mind! (except that one time which I'm sure you've read extensively in my file).

Would it kill the aliens to show up in their shiny metallic disks so i can blast them out of the sky a few more times? I mean, sure the clean-up crew has a helluva time going into sweep (as a result of cabin fever I have gone back to my habit of bad puns) away the survivors but really it's a win-win! Because I get some much needed practice (the lack of flight simulator's here is disturbing, but I've utilized the cockpit of Raven-1 as a simulator using my imagination) and research and development gets all those shiny materials.

But not everything has been a waste ya know? I mean usually I just spend some time in the cockpit and then do some maintenance and sleep a little but this week I was treated to a surprise. Remember that girl who called me an ace after my first UFO kill? Well she came and visited me!

I got that her name was Caroline, and that she knew nothing of the sheer majesty of my babe, Raven-1. I also managed to correct her on the use of the word "Ace" though I'm sure she didn't get it, but she was pretty and I might want to get to know her a little better. Other than her though, I might've made myself a little unappealing to a lot of the X-com operatives. What with my pee stained jumpsuit thing and all.

Well here's to some more excitement for this pilot!

S

Sarge-Pepper

Name: Steve Maltus (Co-op with Rebecca Robinson)

Job: Personal Trainer/Shooting Instructor (Temporary?)

Steve walked into the gym area not really expecting the amount of people that were present in the room. HE was wearing a grey tracksuit with white stripes down the side, and a wifebeater. He was by no means a small man, but stacked didn't really fit how he was. Practiced might be a better word for his physique. Everyone was milling around the room, waiting, making small talk to pass the time until he had showed up. The workout session had been on a piece of paper in the club, tacked up for all to see.

"WORKOUT SESSION ON MONDAY, 5PM: LETS GET BACK INTO SHAPE"

Apparently, the message had hit home for some of the boozehounds of the group. He nodded to the group as he took a place at the front of the room, placed his water bottle and towel down, and looked toward everyone as they started to focus up and get quiet.

"Thanks ladies and gents. My name's Steve, some of you have met me, to those who haven't, well, hello." He gave a lopsided grin and waved his hand. A few small chuckles came from the room.

"I'm here for the same reason you are. You saw a need to stay in shape amid our loose structure we have here. I saw a need, and decided to fill it. But make no mistake, just because you are here willingly does not mean I will be taking it easy on you. I was deployed to the Sand and had a situation a lot like this one. No enforced PT, A bunch of down time, most of the guys got lazy." He started to pace in the front of the room.

"But as most of you know, a lazy body makes a lazy mind. You lose your focus, you lose drive, things that you need on the field. So, we will be doing intensive workouts here to supplement whatever your current routine is. We will meet for 3 days, Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and we will work out for no less than 30min, no longer than an hour and a half. I will not tell you how long those sessions will be beforehand." He looked out again.

"I am not your commander; I do not order you around outside. You are free to leave anytime and miss any sessions you feel you want to. I'm not your babysitter. However, while we are in here, I expect respect for what I say and to follow it directly and promptly, not for me, but for yourself."

He motioned to a few seats on the side of the room. "If you can't keep up, that's fine, take a breather and hop in when you can. If there are no more seats, you don't break until someone else gets up. Also, this is not a competition, we are not here to outdo each other's max reps, or to show off for any women or men you have your eyes on. That shit gets you hurt. Follow the pace, change weights to challenge yourself if you have to, but keep in mind we are in this together. Any questions?"

A few shakes of the head went around the room and he smiled as he clapped his hands.

"Excellent. Let’s warm up with some mountain climbers..."

-1 hour later-

Sweat. Holy lord sweat. Steve almost couldn't stand it. But he felt good. Seeing everyone working in time with each other, watching to make sure they were doing things right, asking for help, it really felt like everyone connected in the room. But shit, he was sore. Must have been the long time in prison that wore his body out. He leaned against a wall and breathed deep, taking a swig of his nearly empty bottle.

He started to put it down when he saw a brown ponytail with some black up top weaving through the departing crowd. He took a closer look for a moment, the face of the woman was familiar to him, even thought she was directed away from him. But as soon as she turned around and he saw the scar on her face, he placed her immediately.

"Robinson!" He called, waving once to get her attention as she turned, scanning the crowd for her caller. She quirked an eyebrow as she walked over, nodded at him as he stuck his hand out her a shake.

"Steve Maltus, pleased to meet 'cha."

The brunette shook his hand, sweat against sweat, which didn't seem to bother her as a big grin appeared on her face. "I'm Rebecca! Super pleased! That was a nice session, I feel alive again."

"Well, that's good to hear. You were on the first few missions, right? Glad to see the Stitches finally let you out of there."

"Yes! Let me tell you, those guys are plain evil. I almost died... of boredom. They didn't even allow me to do push-ups. They said I was going to tear the skin apart again, though that didn't prevented them from sticking needles in it in order to test some stuff, or so they say. Anyway, when it's your turn to fight, blow up those Sectoids before they blow you, or you will regret it. I saw them up close, they don't have a lot of meat on their arms, but they have those 'plasma pistols', and it's a pain, in more ways than one!"

Steve breathed out in relief when Rebecca added that her near death was an exaggeration of her imagination moreso than ineptitude of the docs here. He was worried for a minute that the quality of profession here only stretched to those with the guns.

"Blowing up anything relating to Aliens seems like a good idea in my mind, but you know how researchers love their goo." He chuckled deeply at the thought of the random researcher was rushed to the infimary after finding out exactly how much blood is in a Sectoid body the hard way. Apparently, the room he was in still had stains on the walls from the second heart exploding. What exactly the researcher was doing is still up for speculation.

"Well, thankfully that pain didn't prevent you from coming to the workout session today. I know what our boot camp instructors felt like now." He chuckled again. "It can be dangerous for the power a DI wields to go to someone’s head."

Rebecca nodded. "I have been instructing k-... people for quite some time and at some point I realized how responsible I had to be in that role. It's relaxing to be back to following orders! As for the pain..." She rolled her shoulder. "I'm perfectly fine now! I should thank the docs for their zeal, I guess. Now I'm able to train as much as I want!" She had a childish and mischievous chuckle while saying that.

"That was a nice session but I'm still aching for more. Unless you need me for something, I will be going!"

"Sure, just wanted to introduce myself to you and wish you luck. Hopefully, I’ll be able to shoot some bad guys next with you at some point." He gave a mischievous wink of his own as she smiled and turned around. He couldn’t help but giver he a once over as she left. She was a looker, that was for sure, the scar wasn’t even that bad on her face. Lined her face really well.

He smiled and shook his head as he pushed off of the wall. Maybe this wasn’t going to be a bad time after all.

Suryce

Game Master
Squaddie Rebecca Robinson (Assault), Journal 03, recorded on March 22th, at 20:22pm
Hunting Collection: Sectoid

Ten days.
It has been ten days. Do they feel chilly now that we shot down one of their UFO? I finally got discharged from the infirmary, the very next morning, and I have been training like mad since then, but nothing comes!

My initial joy of being free again to do three thousand push-ups every day is starting to calm down, and it leaves enough space in my brain to think of the kids again. Since I had nothing to do in the infirmary, I had started to write them a letter. I didn’t want them to worry though and mentioning from where I was writing would kind of do that, but I don’t want to lie to them either, for many reasons. So it went nowhere. But now, I took the time to finish it and I’m going to see if I can send it to them. If I can also get an answer back, it may help me feeling less homesick. I was so confident that it wouldn’t happen, but every time my excitement weakens, it makes me want to go back home.

That woman was right I guess. She assured me that everything would go fine for the kids, my wage would go directly to my siblings and I know personally that they can take care of things without me. But then, it’s me who would sacrifice something in this deal. I was looking at this as an extended mission, but who know for how long this war is going to continue? Fighting against guerilla operations is hard and it has been the aliens’ tactic so far. I don’t know when I will be able to see everybody again.

You know, in ten years, we’ve had all kind of visitors at our Ranch. Gangs who went into a vendetta against us and quickly regretted it. Travelers who were simply lost and asked us for hospitality. There was also that one silly guy who asked to marry me! I was much more surprised by this than even my first meeting with aliens. Maybe the dude was blind because I already had my ugly scar at the time. He left disappointed but his example gave weird ideas to the kids. From that day on, some of them, including girls, claimed that they were going to marry me once they were grown-ups. That was kind of cute I guess, but I hope none of them actually meant it. I will feel bad if I have to disappoint them.

But, anyway, that woman was different from all the visitors. She was clearly not from the region and even if she came with a few bodyguards, all of them clad in black suits, she showed no sign of hostility. The strangest thing was that she knew about me and specifically wanted to talk to me. I commanded some of my siblings to keep the curious kids at bay (most of them had never seen foreigners before), and some of the others to keep an eye on the bodyguards while I met the woman alone with two of my lieutenants who were the most fluent with English. She willingly followed our instructions and handed us her own handgun, a small black-painted model I had never seen before. We sat in the living room and proposed her some tea, which she gladly accepted.

“I have to travel around the world for my job and one thing I particularly like is the occasions it gives me to taste the tea of many different cultures. I stopped by a tea shop before coming here, but yours has a more unique taste.”

She was holding the cup in her black-gloved hands with a certain respect, and not a single hint of fear. No unarmed visitor had ever set foot inside our Ranch without feeling at least a bit wary.

“We make most of what we eat ourselves, when we don’t hunt it.” I explained. “It’s a good way to teach the ropes of many jobs to the kids. We call this place ‘the Ranch’, though it’s not its sole purpose. We also made most of the buildings ourselves to suit our needs.”

“Yes,” she said with a smile, “and needs you do have. It must hard to take care of so many kids.”

I have no idea how she knew, maybe they had been spying us, but indeed we were in a dire need of money because so many kids had joined us and we had not refused any. This made me wary and before I could come up with an answer, she continued: “Allow me to present myself. I’m Lucy Ferdinand, in charge of leading XCOM recruitment campaign. You will have to pardon me but I’m not allowed to hand out business cards, which leaves me quite ashamed. Some people like to call me the ‘G-woman’ but I’m not really fond of that nickname.”

I was seriously unsure if the shame was real or not, that woman was hard to read. She did look like a cliché government agent in black suit and pants, apart from the fact that she was a woman and that her shiny blond hair contrasted with the dark outfit.

“So, uh, you… want to give me a job? At this XCOM thing? I’ve never heard of it. Also… you know, I don’t actually have any degree or any kind of official qualifications regarding child care.”

Her smile looked as if she was laughing silently. “I’m not looking for a caretaker, Miss Robinson, I’m looking for a soldier.”

The atmosphere in the room got a bit tense. Without even looking, I knew that my siblings had discreetly put their hands on their guns. Things didn’t get better when she pronounced my real name just after that.

This is the name of the person I am looking for, Miss ‘Robinson’. The one they also called the <’Black Dog’>.”

In one second, my brother had moved to point her own requisitioned gun at her temple. But she still remained perfectly calm.

“Though, what name you want to use for yourself is actually none of my business, as long as your previous… expertise is still available. I can grant you a passport with any name you like.”

I have rarely met crazier people than me, but I know better than screwing with them.

“<Release her. She is a guest.>” Once the brother had gone back to his position, I addressed her. “I’m sorry for this breach of hospitality, but please, some words are taboo around here. And some things are better left in the grave. I am honored you thought of me for whatever operation you are recruitin’ for, but I’m not interested.”

That Ferdinand woman took a sip of tea before answering: “You have many needs though, and sometimes we don’t do the job we want but the one that pays us what we need.”

I was starting to get a bit irritated. “Do I need to tell you how many we are? No pathetic military wage is going to help, or to compensate for what I can directly do from here. I’m not going to go anywhere.”

But she was more persuasive than I had anticipated.

“Do you think I work for some mercenary company? Or for the army of a single nation? I was directly appointed by the Council of Nations to find the best and the worst personnel on this planet, whether they are engineers, scientists, or soldiers, and I have the necessary influence to provide the latter with an appropriate price in exchange of their life. Your wage will pay for anything, and I can offer you even more: opportunities of education and jobs for your growing children, international legal status for all of your siblings, and for you, the chance to become a hero.

Your people will have anything they need to be able to live a fair life, and the only one who has to take a risk is you. But even that is not so bad of a deal, as this risk is a bet. You will take part of the biggest adventure of our century as a front line, or wait in boredom for the battle to come for years. You may die in glory or in total anonymity. You may change for the best or change for the worst. This bet can lead you to the most profitable results you can imagine, if you are lucky, and even if it were to lead you to the worse possibilities, I will always keep my end of the bargain and your people will live the life they deserve.”

My life at the Ranch always seemed pretty good to me, but there are always moments when I start to doubt. Did I deserve such a pleasant life, where I was constantly surrounded by people trusting and loving me? Or is caring for the kids the bare minimum I can do to repay for all I did? I like to think that I’m doing this XCOM thing for them, the kids, but I think I also hoped that the change of pace would help me find myself. And what I have realized so far is that jumping on an enemy to slaughter them and do thousands of push-ups per day is basically what I did... before. I feel some of my instincts are coming back, stronger than usual. I can keep them in check when we hunt for deer, but what about those aliens? They are obviously more than just animals, and I am more than a hunter.

I think I need to keep an eye on my colleagues. Caring for my siblings and the kids always helped me stay cool-headed. I have started to get acquainted with some of the other soldiers and I should probably continue in this direction. Other than that, I can only hope that the bet continues to pay off. So far I have been pretty lucky: I am on the front line, and it's not just my instincts, my body is also getting back in shape. I would like to say that I could die tomorrow without any regret, it would be a comforting thought, but I have realized that the more I get, the more I hope for.