X-COM RP THINK TANK (part2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkGemini24601

Eh, that is just little stuff. I think it is about time we had an organized psionic plan. It is just a first draft so we can edit it as we choose. Everyone will develop differently so there will be abnormalities. Combine this with the power list Zombie drafted up and we are on our way.
Funnily enough, I picked control because it seemed more neutral. And in regards to the bit about disagreeing with mind control, the way I see it is that their moral states disincline them towards using it. However, if they do find that 'damn good reason', it could be that they find mind control comes unnervingly easy to them.
I don't mind it not being 100% under my control what powers that Blue comes with, but here's the hitch: I came up with it. So the final say can and should be with me. I'm not saying you guys are implying otherwise, but it feels like I'm being told to go along with it without saying anything. And some of this is stuff that will affect Atka's character. So I am going to point out anything I don't like.

Frostlich1228

On the topic of suggestions, I ran a theory on psionics by Zombie, and they told me to show it to you guys while they thought it over. So, with that, prepare for headcanon dump.
hvs0hd.png

Yes, I have a chart. Threw it together in like twenty minutes last night, not as complete as I'd like, but whatever, you aren't here for me talking about how I made the chart. Anywho, my personal theory on psionics is based on three primary and three secondary colors, as seen above. To start from the top of the primaries, you have Red, which focuses on Power. Psi skills that come easily to red psions might be something like psi lance or telekinetics, direct applications of force via the mind. After that you have Blue, which is Control. Blue psions might find it easier to use skills that directly control or manipulate the mental state of others, whether it be through powers such as mind control, psi inspire, and the dreamscape power. Lastly, you have Yellow, associated with intuition and observation (shortened to Wisdom), which to be honest is all based on conjecture, but eh, what isn't. A Yellow Psion would likely have talents with powers such as ESP and illusions, enabling them to observe what cannot be observed, and ensure that they aren't.

Now comes the fun part: the secondary colors, Purple, Orange, and Green. These come as a result of intersection between the Primaries, and represent the mixing of their 'philosophies'. To start, Purple, whose psions excel with powers such as mind fray, psi panic, and imbuing objects with psionic energy. Essentially, using power to control or visa versa. Then you have Green, which psions such as Chandra have shown to be associated with healing, but could also find talents for things such as telekinetic fields and mind merging. In short, using observations and intuition to guide yours or others control of reality. Finally you have Orange, which is what happens when you cross Power with Wisdom. An Orange Psion would find it easier to use powers such as neural feedback and rift, using their intuition to find weaknesses in their opponent and striking there with overwhelming power, even if that opponent is reality itself.

Of course, just because one is a psion of a certain color does not mean that it is impossible for them to use powers from other colors, it merely makes it more difficult to learn the power. For instance, Desmond (a red psion) initially required specialized equipment to create a dreamscape (a blue power), but eventually with training he was able to perform it without assistance. However, Atka, whose color matches the power, was able to use it almost immediately after learning it from Desmond, and with a greater degree of skill. In short, the difficulty rises the further you get from your color, starting with intrinsic at your own color, and rising to a feat of dedication on your opposing color.

I hope you all like my theorizing, I hope to hear your thoughts and comments on it as well as where I should shove this conjecture should it be disliked.

Question! Is it possible to be a White Psion? As in, is it possible to be naturally skilled with every form of psychic energy?

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member
I don't mind it not being 100% under my control what powers that Blue comes with, but here's the hitch: I came up with it. So the final say can and should be with me. I'm not saying you guys are implying otherwise, but it feels like I'm being told to go along with it without saying anything. And some of this is stuff that will affect Atka's character. So I am going to point out anything I don't like.
See as how mind control is mainly an alien used power I could find reason as to why mind control wouldn't be something everyone would want to use. And if that is how you feel about the Blue powers then by all means continue to develop it. Just as the humans in story are still developing their abilities we are still a long way away from a refined process. :D

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member
Question! Is it possible to be a White Psion? As in, is it possible to be naturally skilled with every form of psychic energy?
W are not gods Frost XD. Though to be fair, I can see how that question would come up. I think it would be too powerful for something like that to exist but it doesn't mean some forms of psions can't aspire to use powers they are not familiar with. Just not a naturally gifted one.

BMPixy

That's probably up to Zombie, but just going to tentatively assume a no there. Besides, you know what they say about jacks of all trades.

Alright, didn't mean to imply I was taking control of your character, just trying to come up with a unified theory of psionics. Always good to having a dissenting opinion, helps make any final product stronger.

DarkGemini24601

W are not gods Frost XD. Though to be fair, I can see how that question would come up. I think it would be too powerful for something like that to exist but it doesn't mean some forms of psions can't aspire to use powers they are not familiar with. Just not a naturally gifted one.
And again going back to my point that we need to be VERY careful about what powers we assign to the colors we already have. I think the bucket capacity/ability strength thing is probably separate from the colors, ergo Desmond doesn't have stronger abilities and Atka more bucket capacity because they're red and blue.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Alright, lets not go crazy and start taking things personal (again). The was a reason Pixy wanted to propose this and get ideas first. I'm gonna look it over, take everyone's opinions and concerns into account, and see if I can come up with something everyone likes.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Got the (possibly four) collabs to do today, plus an covert op to prepare for, plus the Ethereals to work on, plus anything else i need to put up solo wise. But I promise I'll look into it ASAP.

Frostlich1228

My input would probably be a no, unless they were weakly attached to it or something. Otherwise we'd have the issue of "Oh, you're using telekinesis Atka? You're red now." which makes no sense.

But what if she started using nothing but powers and abilities related to Red Psions and neglected to use abilities from Blue Psions, would her color change then?

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member
Alright, lets not go crazy and start taking things personal (again). The was a reason Pixy wanted to propose this and get ideas first. I'm gonna look it over, take everyone's opinions and concerns into account, and see if I can come up with something everyone likes.
Hurray for diplomacy!
merica-patriot-s-women-s-tank_design.png

(And other nationalities because we are not all 'Mericans yay!)

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
But what if she started using nothing but powers and abilities related to Red Psions and neglected to use abilities from Blue Psions, would her color change then?
It is more a reflection of who you are. You aren't a red psion because you use red psionics, you are a red psionic because that is how your powers manifest, related to personality and all that.

DarkGemini24601

"After that you have Blue, which is Control. Blue psions might find it easier to use skills that directly control or manipulate the mental state of others, whether it be through powers such as mind control, psi inspire, and the dreamscape power."

So let me give a more concise overview of the 'Blue' variant. Blue is the color of Order (or Purity, maybe?). It is characterized by abilities that require precision that comes through calm and careful actions, such as the mental powers like mindfray and mind control [maybe] (using calm to cause chaos in others), and structured abilities like telekinetics.

That look any good, Pixy? (I figure some powers might be found in multiple colors)

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member
Another Question then, Is it possible for someone's color to change?
My input would probably be a no, unless they were weakly attached to it or something. Otherwise we'd have the issue of "Oh, you're using telekinesis Atka? You're red now." which makes no sense.
Well, I would figure it is not something that just...happens. As we have seen with our psions so far they tend to develop in a way where they start off basic and as time passes their nature comes out. At least as far as we have seen with Atka and Desmond.

DarkGemini24601

Alright, thanks for all the great answers everyone.

Just wanted a little more clarification on the whole Psychic colors thing. :)
Thus far, we have four roleplayers with psychic characters. Zombie (Aya/Eve), Me (Atka and assorted abductees), Marine (Desmond and Viktor), and now Adramma (Nika and possibly Emily).

Also, is Neural Dampening a psi power then? I thought it was a gene mod. What good would the research notes Elene stole do her without psionics if you're going with the LW interpretation?

Frostlich1228

Thus far, we have four roleplayers with psychic characters. Zombie (Aya/Eve), Me (Atka and assorted abductees), Marine (Desmond and Viktor), and now Adramma (Nika and possibly Emily).

Also, is Neural Dampening a psi power then? I thought it was a gene mod. What good would the research notes Elene stole do her without psionics if you're going with the LW interpretation?

Well, you could probably get an effect similar to Neural Damping using Psi powers.

Status
Not open for further replies.