The Starstream Adventures! (Sci-fi RP)

DarkGemini24601

DarkGemini24601 & ZombieSplitter53: “Advances and Tactical Withdrawals”

It was late at night aboard the Golden Wind. Most of the occupants had already turned in. Aya handled the controls of the ship, keeping it on course as they sailed through space. As for JJ, she was relaxing alone in the lounge. Alone, save for Ash, who silently wiped down the counter of the bar. The Cartus looked down at a tall glass of something sweet and smelling of alcohol, a somewhat sad smile on her face. Her usual energetic nature seemed to have been replaced by something akin to melancholy. The door sighed as atmosphere exchanged between it and the lounge.

Kazane stepped in quieter than a whisper. Her footsteps hardly created audible sound, unless one were to listen very closely. As she approached JJ, though, the jumpsuit-clad bounty hunter purposely weighted her footfalls. Scaring the Captain wouldn’t do.

“You seem in low spirits,” the Japanese woman noted as she arrived in JJ’s peripheral view. “Shouldn’t a launch be exciting?”

“Hmm?” JJ looked up, her eyes quickly brightening. “Oh, yes. Quite exciting.” She stretched and yawned. “Sorry. When I get a few drinks in me, I get… nostalgic about the past.”

“Glad it doesn’t have that effect on me.” Kazane slipped into a chair across from the Captain. “Whiskey,” she requested of the bartender. “Your past can’t be as messy as mine."

The captain shrugged. “It’s not… exactly the cleanest either. I have been out and about on my own for a while, and I wouldn’t say I’ve always been proud of myself. But it is mostly… thoughts of home that cloud my thoughts late at night. Especially now as I… make a new family for myself - in a manner of speaking.”

Kazane leaned back, though she kept her orange eyes on JJ. “For me those two things are inseparable. I can’t go home, simple as.” She rapped a pair of fingers on the table. “But a life lost and a life gained is better than just a life lost, you know?”

JJ lifted her glass. “Cheers to that.” She took a large gulp and wiped her mouth. “Where, um… where is home for you? If you don't mind my asking…”

“Outside GFP space. I’ll give you that much for now,” Kazane replied, her cheeky smile returning from their first encounter. “There’s good reason to keep it vague.” For both our sakes. “But maybe I’ll tell you more when we get closer.”

“I’d like to get closer,” JJ noted with a cheerful grin. “To you. To the others. I want us to be a tight-knit group, you know? I want us to rely on each other. Trust each other. Like a real family would.”

Kazane’s smile wavered a little. “That’s an ideal. But if you’ve been in this business awhile, you’ve got to know that every hunter has their secrets and their demons. If trust tries to get too deep, there’s the risk of whiplash.”

The captain slowly turned back to her drink. “Yeah… you have a good point. Then comes the question of whether I should risk it, or just let secrets stay secrets. I mean… who am I to pry, right?”

“It’s less of a dilemma than you make it out to be.” Kazane smiled again. “Just get to know people. If they want to open up to you, they will. I know I’d like for us to get more intimate.” She placed a hand under her chin.

“Is that so?” JJ leaned back. “Alright then. How about… you ask me any question about my past. Anything at all, and I’ll try and be as open as I can. Nothing expected in return, just… a sign of trust.”

Kazane raised an eyebrow. “Bold. I like that.” She thought for a moment. “For starters, what’s your home planet like? And what did you do there before you became a hunter, if anything?”

“Oh, you… want to go back that far, hmm?” JJ looked a tad hesitant, but not so much that she wouldn’t share. “Well… it was a pleasant place, I suppose you could say. Nice and settled in GFP space, far from anyone that would cause it trouble. And I was… a farmer’s daughter.”

Kazane smirked. “That’s a mental image. Obviously that life didn’t suit you.”

“Ugh, no…” The Cartus huffed. “It was safe, peaceful… and boring. No, I got out of there as soon as I could. Never… never looked back…”

The cyborg kept her eyes on JJ’s. “You’re an awful liar,” she noted casually. “You don’t need to be dishonest with me. I won’t be sharing your secrets.”

JJ shrugged. “Okay, so… maybe I looked back. Maybe I was homesick for the longest time. Maybe a little part of me still is.” She sighed, hovering over her drink. “Sometimes, I just wonder, you know? Are they still there? Would they… be proud of me?”

“They’d be shitty parents if they weren’t,” Kazane replied with a wave of her hand. “Someone like us, though? Leaving’s inevitable. I wouldn’t necessary have picked this life, but take my augs. They’re essential alright, but even if they hadn’t been…” The Japanese woman rolled her shoulder-joints. “I probably would have been drawn to them anyway.”

JJ nodded. “You’re right. I might look back sometimes, and it might make me a little sad, but leaving was inevitable. I was just… drawn to the stars my whole life. There was no way I would have been happy just staring at them from the ground, and it was only a matter of time until I got out of there…”

“So you… what? Hitched a ride on a ship once you were eighteen or something?” Kazane questioned, not seeming to expect the stock-story to be her answer.

JJ grinned. “Twelve, actually. Like I said… I was bored.”

Kazane’s eyes widened - as did her smile. “So where’d you end up?”

“Ah, I don’t know if I should share any more without getting something in return.” The Cartus Captain winked. “And I can’t give all my secrets away all at once, right?”

Kazane chuckled. “That’s fair.” She crossed her arms underneath her chest. “I can’t promise I’ll answer, but you can shoot a question if you’d like.”

“Alright…” JJ leaned against her fist with a big smile. “Tell me how you met your partner. That should be simple enough for you to answer.”

“Nick? We’ve worked together three years. The guy fancies himself shy, but I bet you wouldn’t have picked that up,” Kazane pointed out with a grin. “He gave me some shit at first. Our methods aren’t exactly the same…” She took a sip of her whiskey without any trouble, “but when we got to know one another - and I saved his life a couple of times: those barriers went down.” She lifted a finger. “And before you ask, we’re not an item. We might be one of the few hunter pairs that haven’t ripped off one each-other’s clothes, but it’s true.”

“Interesting…” JJ’s smile widened. “Ever consider it?”

“Not a once. I’m not into guys.” A sly smile creased across Kazane’s features.

“Oh, really?” The captain leaned forward a bit. “Does that mean this whole time you’ve been… being extra nice to me because…”

“Possibly.” Kazane folded her hands together, hiding her mouth behind them. “You’ve been a very generous Captain, providing quite the view for her crew.”

JJ looked down at her chest and grinned. “Oh, yeah? Alright, nice to know people are liking the view.” She laughed loudly.

Kazane joined her in joviality. “You have no idea how hard it was to keep a straight face earlier. You didn’t even notice.”

“No, I guess I didn’t. Aya does say that I am pretty clueless…” Jackie-Jackie sighed, downing the rest of her drink. “I really like talking with you, Kazane.”

“I’ve been told I’m a fun conversation partner.” Kazane grabbed her glass and smiled sincerely at that. “Thanks, though.” She siphoned away another layer of her drink. “I’ve also been told I’m a fun partner in other regards - you can see what I've been doing now.”

“Oh, yeah.” JJ shook his head. “Maybe I’ll find out some day. Though for now I’m afraid I’d have to abstain. It isn’t exactly a good idea to jump into bed with a new crewman so soon.”

Kazane took a subsequent sip, falling silent for a moment. “You sure about that? I couldn’t sworn you seemed more open to adventure than that.”

“Maybe… but I have to have some standards.” She winked. “But that doesn’t mean that it is a no forever. It would be an interesting experiment at the very least.”

The Japanese woman rolled her shoulders. “Do I at least get some assurance you won’t get snatched up by someone else? You’re a prime target for that, as I’m sure you realize.” The glass lowered and Kazane still seemed to be smiling.

“Oh, don’t worry. I have no plans to be snatched up by anyone anytime soon. Besides, you’re actually the one who has been trying the hardest.” The Cartus leaned back in her chair. “Guess that’s honesty of character if I have ever seen it. And flattering.”

Kazane put her palms over her heart, only being partially-melodramatic. “I’m going to hold onto that compliment. I haven’t heard that one before.”

JJ slipped out of her chair and stretched. “Well, I meant it. Stay honest and true, if not with others, then at least always with yourself. Hold onto that self honesty as long as you can, and you’ll stay happy.”

Kazane didn’t try to conceal her study of JJ’s movements this time. “Oh. Speaking of honesty… I may have volunteered you for a… contest of sorts. I put a thousand credits on you being a better mechanic than that Shinso guy - Gazan. If you’re good for it, I’d love to see you humble him. If you’re not, I have an excuse to save the money.” Kazane shrugged. “So either way I win, really.”

JJ rubbed her chin. “Huh… interesting. Putting my skills to the test, huh? Sounds like fun.” She nodded. “I’ll do it.”

“Perfect.” Kazane grinned. “I look forward to seeing it. Not only because you pull off the greased-up look well.”

“Oh, I know…” JJ did a short pose, perking her lips and stretching her arms over her head. “For now though, I’m gonna hit the sack.”

For once, Kazane refrained from making another joke. She smiled lightly. “You do that. I’ll be seeing you around, Cap.” JJ winked, and left her be, letting out a loud, exaggerated yawn as she left.

DarkGemini24601

DarkGemini24601 & InsaneDarkness: “Phantom & Deadshot, Part 1”

The morning ran late, and so had Kazane’s coffee run low. The past hour had drained away the cup’s supply to a mere sliver at the bottom. The Japanese woman’s patience threatened to follow. Her eyebrow twitched as the micro-thin prongs of her wire-connector shifted out of alignment. Kazane’s fingers silently adjusted about two arc seconds in angle, and she linked the last set of shuffled patterns along the frame of the rapier-pattern laser.

The SMG shined under the table’s lamp, a set of circular ports on either side awaiting conjunction within her arm. Now came the irksome part though: to ensure it operated, Kazane had to slot the weapon into her arm one-handed.

Or you could just get one of your other arms and disconnect this one, Nobu advised. You’re only making this more difficult for yourself.

Kazane shook her head. “It’d probably take longer that way.”

Calculating. Within an acceptable margin of error, I believe my way is better.

His partner merely frowned, laying her right arm along the table. She slid a pair of fingers across the forearm’s frame, and a faint light pulsed underneath the false skin. It split apart to the command, opening up a hollowed-out frame with a different type of SMG slotted in. The one-handed cyborg grabbed a wrench and began detaching it.

You’re just being prideful now.

Maybe. Despite that admission, Kazane kept working on it.

Footsteps made their way across the metal floor, echoing slightly underneath each one and carrying away from them. As Ella noticed the woman half-covering the flayed-open arm, she stopped dead in her tracks. The sniper Ella held in her grasp pulled closer to her, its wielder a little wary of the situation she’d walked into.

The noise caught Kazane’s attention. She threw a glance over her shoulder, noting Ella’s tense stance. “Something wrong?”

She misunderstands.

The Japanese woman blinked and then laughed quietly. “Relax,” she called out to the newcomer. “Arm’s mine. Just swapping out a built-in weapon - I’m going to make sure it works.”

Ella took a cautious step forward. “Alright.” She looked around, noticing a small chair off in a corner of the room. She dragged it up next to the table before sitting down, her height immediately noticeable in comparison to the human’s.

Kazane finished unscrewing her micro-coilgun, dropping the sleek silver frame onto the table with a clank. Her functional arm’s fingers clamped around the fold-out gun like the claws of a crane and extracted it. The cyborg only kept one eye focused on her task, the other studying the Shinso girl on the periphery.

Sniper rifle, huh? Not a bad way to get around physical limitations. The Japanese woman turned her head for a moment. “Name’s Kazane Kyunasaki,” the cyborg introduced herself. “Bounty hunter. By the looks of it, so are you - what’s your name?”

“Some refer to me as Viella.” Ella put her rifle atop the table, the clack that was let out signifying the gun wasn’t hollow nor light. “People who aren’t career-killers call me Ella. And they’re normally correct.”

“My jobs aren’t always lethal. I’ll use either.” Kazane gave a one-shouldered shrug. She attached the laser to the connection ports over several seconds and then snapped the skin shut. Nobu sent electricity back through the arm, and Kazane rolled the joints experimentally.

Power distribution optimal. The laser rapier has completed handshake command. It should work.

Kazane thanked him mentally. “What brings you down into engineering?” she asked Ella. “Maintenance on the rifle?”

“Exactly.” Ella hover-handed over the tools in the room, furrowing her brow when none of them fit what she needed. She pushed herself up and started messing around with the shelves in the room, trying to find the tool.

“What’re you looking for?” Kazane stepped over towards the Shinso. “I might be able to spot it.”

“Seven-star double-point screwdriver… not a common tool. Should’ve brought my set down…” Ella’s voice was muffled as she thoroughly scanned the shelves almost face-first.

Truly, organics are irrational.

Is that gloating I hear? Kazane rolled her eyes before returning to her work.

Ella reached into one of the shelves, her arm half-disappearing into the sundry set of tools. “Found it, I think…” Two fingers wrapped around the screwdriver before her whole hand secured the tool and extracted it. It was covered in dust, but a quick brush of the hand cleaned it off well enough.

Kazane strode over to a target on the back wall and raised her right arm towards it. The thin-barreled laser popped out - separating her forearm’s synthetic flesh into two plates in the process. With a thought, she activated the beam, drilling a scorch mark into the target. “

Alright, perfect.” She flicked her wrist - for effect rather than as a command - and the rapier slid back into her arm.

As Ella looked up, an off-pitch voice arose from her. “You missed the middle of the target by 1.3 millimeters. Might need to more practice.”

Kazane smirked, turning around to face Ella again. “I leave accuracy to situations that call for it.”

Ella blinked a few times before clearing her throat. “Sorry about that…” she murmured, getting back into her chair and scooting it forward. She took out the first screw underneath her scope but on the gun itself, which popped open to reveal a complicated puzzle in a compartment underneath the gun. Her right hand fingers flipped through the metal pieces in rapid succession before they all clicked at once, opening up the rest of the gun to be pulled apart from the halfway point down the middle.

“Damn,” Kazane murmured, stepping closer to the sniper-at-work. “That’s some impressive craftsmanship.” Looks more intricate than our weapons tech.

“It’s intended as a failsafe so not just anybody can mod it. My arm has a similar deal, but it takes a little more time to open. I don’t need people shoving random arms on me or taking mine off.” Ella gave Kazane a small smile and a glance as she slid the top half down the barrel, the scope staying on the top of the bottom half. She pushed the bottom portion up on the table while she slid the top half in front of her.

“My augs have firewalls and biometric locks for that, but I like the principle behind yours.” Kazane smiled in return, resting her elbows on the table and her chin on her palms as she watched Ella work. “With the right amount of skill, someone might beat that challenge.”

“Trust me, I doubt anyone else could figure it out. It’s my custom design,” Ella replied.

“I’ll take your word for it.” Kazane chuckled. “I’m not planning on trying to crack it, promise.”

Ella’s eyes briefly hardened. “Good to hear.” She wiped down the barrel of her gun, the inside first before moving to the outside.

Kazane let her clean in quietude. After awhile, she spoke up again. “What brings you to the Golden Wind? Got something to prove? Need money?”

“Money, proving something, and doing what I’m good at,” Ella answered mindlessly, having now moved on to the stock with an incredibly dirty wipe. She stood up from her chair and grabbed another one.

“I get category one and three,” Kazane noted, cracking her fingers. “Not so much two. I like showing off, but that’s a bit different. Is honor and glory a Shinso thing, or has my selection skewed my perspective?”

“I’m the runt. I was surrounded by prideful brothers and sisters that always outperformed me.” Ella sat down once again. “I’m trying to be like them, at least somewhat. They’re nice, but… they’re a lot better at everything than I am. Cybernetics and virtual intelligence have been the two boosts that make me adequate.”

“Augs are the great equalizer,” Kazane asserted with a nod. “And you’ve got a V.I. partner? That makes two of us.”

“Really? Did you name them?” Ella put down her wipe and turned towards Kazane, her full intention focused on her.

DarkGemini24601

DarkGemini24601 & InsaneDarkness: “Phantom & Deadshot, Part 2”

“His name’s Nobu,” Kazane answered.

Be careful that you don’t reveal more than is wise, Kazane.

You know the drill. If you come out, you play the part.

“Mine is named Vi. She’s… interesting.”

That’s… creative. Kazane raised an eyebrow. “Not the most flattering description, typically.”

“She’s a dry sarcastic asshole. But, that’s… kind of… how I coded her to be.”

“Hey, I won’t judge you if that’s what you’re into.” Kazane chuckled. “I didn’t do much with mine’s personality. He’s a strategic assistant foremost.”

“I tried to go for that, but it was a little too simple. She’s specialized in aim-assist, distance measuring, that sort of thing. I can see a holographic version of her in my eyes - but it doesn’t project. I hoped that I could hook her up to the holo-room so everyone else could see her but, that would require a physical connection or a wireless one. I don’t know if the holo-room has that kind of thing, though…”

“Issue is more than the holo-deck wouldn’t have the range. You’d need a projector on your person.” Kazane held out a palm, an apparition of Razor-in-miniature appearing in it. “I could hook you up with one for cheap, if you’d like. It’s not a hard system to install.”

Ella gave a forced smile, not wanting to offend Kazane. “I’d rather have it be external. Don’t really need one on my person.”

Kazane shrugged. “Your choice.” She deftly twisted the topic. “You mentioned something about your arm earlier. One of them’s cybernetic, I take it?”

“If you don’t mind my asking, how’d you get it?”

“How did I get it or how did I acquire the need of it? One story is more fun than the other.” Ella relaxed a little at the change in subject.

“The more interesting one, naturally.” Kazane leaned against a shelf, though only lightly pressing her elbows into it. “Unless you got it replaced under fire, I doubt the surgical details are riveting.”

“Exactly.” Ella smiled a little as she returned to cleaning. “While I was on a mission, I was holding this rifle here in the wrong way. When I moved to fire, it ended up shattering my shoulder. Not breaking it. Shattering.” Her words were spaced with dramatic pauses. “Every doctor I spoke with would’ve charged me a ridiculous amount of credits. However, cybernetics were not that ridiculous in price.”

“That’s quite a workaround.” Kazane grinned. “You’re a better fighter for it, I’m sure.”

“True. But with that comes a lot of insecurities about the rest of me. Should I just replace everything? How much should I really replace? Is it better to be more cybernetics or more flesh? Am I just inefficient? Why am I not just a robot by this point? Things like that.” Ella’s eyes darkened, though she kept cleaning the gun - wedging her fingers where her whole hand couldn’t fit.

“I don’t see anything wrong with extensive augments. I’ve got my limits - brain and body especially - but they’ve improved my physical condition more than any training could.” Kazane put her micro coilgun back in while she talked, able to switch out much faster now that she’d already done it once.

“My scalp has already been torn to shreds for Vi to reside in. Still hurts like a bitch, too. The fact that my hair is so thick still surprises me, let alone the fact that it keeps growing.” Two clicks came from the gun as more parts separated from the main body.

“Fortunate that it does, though. Looks good on you,” Kazane complimented, forming a holographic globe in her hand and setting it spinning.

After noticing she’d been rambling, Ella cleared her throat. “What’s up with you? What’s your story?” She started wiping down the now exposed parts of her gun, keeping her ears trained on Kazane.

“I’m from further off than Shinso space,” Kazane replied, a shroud of scattered stars appearing around her illusory sphere. “Someplace outside GFP space. I didn’t start off a hunter, but I received special forces training from some… old associates. After I left, I figured I’d put those skills to use. This job’s been a good fit.”

“Glad to hear it. Where’d you get your augments?” Ella asked without missing a beat.

“Same associates,” Kazane kept up her vague recollection. “They had connections and the means. Offered them to me a lot cheaper than market price as part of our contract.”

“Contracts: helpful on occasion yet restrictive. I’m unsure why anyone would sign away their lives like that.”

“It can be a more attractive option in the right circumstances. If you’re poor, need an escape, or face a worse alternative.” Kazane closed her hand, collapsing her display out of existence.

“What was it like, if you don’t mind me asking?”

“The group I worked with? Less than savory.” Kazane sighed. “There’s a reason I left their company. In this line of work, you get some shady job offers, but you can just refuse them. With what I did before… I didn’t have a choice, like it or not. I followed a lot of orders back then that I regret.” The Japanese woman shook her head. “But that’s behind me now.”

“I hope so. I’ve had a few coworkers who had their past come and bite them in the ass during a mission. You don’t need that happening to you, and neither did they.” Ella reattached the part to her gun before splitting another part off of the body.

“Far, far behind,” Kazane emphasized, indicating a wide distance between her index fingers. “If I ever saw them again, I’d be as surprised as anyone else. They’ve got no reason to cross paths.”

“No reason can be enough reason. No matter how vast the universe is, there’s always a chance for coincidences.” Ella caught herself playing devil’s advocate. “Sorry… I just tend to think of every alternative. I’m glad you’re confident about it.” While she didn’t exactly enjoy how she worded it, she still felt what she said.

“Planning for worst case scenarios is smart,” Kazane agreed, picking up her detached micro coilgun. “That’ll keep you alive. You don’t need to worry about my associates, though. In the infinitesimal possibility that we encounter one another again - and they hold a grudge - I’ll deal with it.” She started for the door with a nod back at Ella. “Doesn’t need to be your problem.”

“Never said it would be.” Ella clicked the part back in place, finishing with it much faster as it was much smaller. She gave the scope two swipes up and down the sides, a few scrubs to the lenses, and a little nail treatment to edges her fingers couldn’t even reach.

“In any event, it was nice meeting you.” Kazane waved back as the door opened. “I look forward to seeing what you can do on the field. I expect great things.” She may be small in stature, but those are the eyes of a deadshot.

“Right back at you.” Ella gave her a glance and a smile before returning to her rifle. After a moment of thought, she piped up once again. “Do you… want to wait until I’m done? I’ll be really quick. We can do something other than ogle each others weaponry and feel really depressed about our pasts and stuff. Unless you’re off to do something else, which is also cool.”

Kazane stopped for a moment. “I’ve got some other things to attend to, but another time we could hang out. I’ve got a repertoire of VR sims that you might enjoy.”

“Much appreciated.” Ella smiled at Kazane, hopping up and down on her feet a little.

Kazane glanced back one last time to give Ella a nod before the doors closed behind her.

Taxor_the_First

Taxor the First and Blackout
A Contingency Plan, Part 1

Nick walked at a brisk pace through the sometimes labyrinthine halls, paying no attention to anything save the datapad in his hands. “Kaz, I swear to God… if you get me killed by choosing a ship with sub-par weapons, over a pair of tits…” He grumbled to himself before a strong force halted his advance. “Who-”

A glance upward brought a familiar, unsettlingly-smug grin into view. “You ask me, that’s a worthwhile tradeoff,” Kentaro snickered, lowering the hand that had provided a barrier to Nick’s shoulder. “Ain’t seen you for a while.”

“You either.” Nick said cautiously, his eyes shifting side to side. “I… this is rather interesting. Why are you here? Thought you and Kaz liked working in different sectors...” A hand quickly tapped into the datapad, rendering the screen locked and encrypted.

The other man’s eyes flicked to the motion, eliciting a quiet grunt. “Well, you yourself said it,” he drawled with a smirk and a careless gesture. “Amazing what a healthy rack can drive people to do, huh?” A vague answer that failed to satisfy the question - as usual. Nick had learned long ago that Kentaro wouldn’t respond to anything seriously if he didn’t want to.

Nick sighed, letting his datapad clip to his left leg. “Fine. Keep it a secret. That's not important. I analyzed most of the people here for… security purposes. Haven't interacted with the Azizin or the Dondondari to determine if they're a threat. No info either. Did… you find anything on them?”

Kentaro rolled his shoulders. “You think I’d have gone out of my way to talk to a pile of worms? C’mon, man…” A shake of the head. “As for the Dondondari… you mean the hot redhead? Been meaning to pin her in the bar for a few drinks, but between scouring my room for bugs and fixing one of the hydraulics in my fighter, I ain’t had the time. You probably know more about both of them - and the rest of the people on this ship - than I do.” After a beat, his face flickered in annoyance as if in response to some other, unseen stimuli.

“Still, they both represent security threats- both to you and Kazane. I'll do my best to check them out and add them to my dossier.” Nick said quietly, checking his datapad. “Now, is there any girl you want info on? For old times sake?”

A chuckle. “You know me so well,” Kentaro grinned, placing a hand over his heart. He let out a semi-pained exhale before lowering the limb. “... suppose I should get the actually important one out of the way first. You met the pink-haired Tamearin yet? Got anything on her?”

“Met, no. Info, yes. But not much. Why?” Nick asked before immediately answering his own question. “You think her dangerous, don't you?”

“Well… a little. I bumped into her right after she came aboard. Long story short, she’s got a habit of pokin’ her nose where it doesn’t belong. Anyone like that could be a problem around me or Kaz.” He gestured at the cyborg in front of him. “So, uh… keep an eye on her. And try not to antagonize her. She doesn’t seem to respond well to that, crazy bitch…” A cough, and a shake of the head. “... anyway. She’s fine, apart from that. How about Aya? Had any trouble with her, what with the, uh…”

“Initially. It was only when she went after Kaz that I stepped in and used my past to dissuade her from prying and being judgemental. Thanks for that technique, by the way. It really has come in handy lately.” He paused. “Want to come to the bridge with me? I got something to show you.”

Kentaro cocked an eyebrow. “Alright?” he answered dubiously. “If this is an attempt to get in private so you can whip out your dick-”

“Sorry, I'm straight and even if I wasn't, I wouldn't touch you with a six foot pole.” Nick said with a vehement tone in his voice, as he shuddered slightly. “No, it relates to information you want. About that girl.”

The Japanese man sighed, and gestured for him to lead the way. “I’m not sure whether to be relieved or insulted,” he muttered as they started walking.

“Be both. That way you'll be more confused and less likely to sleep with anything female and with a pulse.” Nick snarked, casting a smirk at his compatriot. “That does make me wonder; why do you try to sleep with so many women? I know you're not entirely a sleaze.”

A shrug. “It’s fun.”

“Fair enough. Tell me one thing, as I think I should know being Kazane's partner and hiding information about her as best as I can: What's the name of the group or person chasing you two? And no bullshit answer this time. You both owe me for what I do.” Nick's voice, despite his harsh words, was soft and quiet, almost friendly.

Kentaro rolled his eyes. “You wouldn’t know ‘em,” he assured the detective. “... that said, if you ever see or hear the name ‘Tsuki’, you fuckin’ tell me. Immediately.” He shuddered.

“Of course. You'll both be messaged at the exact same time with instructions for some of my contacts to ferry you both away.” Nick nodded, before he opened his datapad with a couple taps. He added the relevant name to a folder entitled ‘Hades-level’, said folder already having a pre-existing name. After he was done he swiped over to a familiar Tamearin's file. “I assume you already know her name?”

“It was something close enough to ‘Aya’ that I forgot it pretty much immediately,” was the gruff response, followed by: “Haya. Right. You know it’s funny, with that trenchcoat she’s a hat away from looking like a feminine version of you.”

He snorted. “Probably not nearly good at information gathering as I am or skilled enough to fight you or Kazane on equal footing. Or dare I say, as attractive as a mostly machine man can get.” He shook his head. “I got everything until she left her homeworld and then some blurbs on some of her activities. Not enough to cement a personality composition, but enough to give you a trump card to play should you continue dealing with her. Read at your leisure.” He passed the datapad to the scarier bounty hunter.

Kentaro took the device with a hint of surprise, twisting it so it was upright. He flicked the scrolling bar down in a smooth movement, letters breezing past the screen at a speed far too great for him to read. It hit the bottom, and he blinked. “Thanks, I will,” was the non-committal response, and he handed the datapad back. “Not a bad little collection. Guess she’s not concerned about what she’s got in her past, huh.”

“Mmm… it's harder than that. Significantly harder than that. If you notice, I can't find any recent data on her. I'm sure if I up the rewards, my informants will likely find more, but people like this tend to have less information on them than normal ones. Still, I'll see what I personally can dig up on her. A little social interaction never… hurt… anyone…” A sudden beep went off of the datapad, “shit. She was supposed to come back ten minutes from now.”

The Japanese man’s hand clenched. “Who, Haya?” He took a glance around.

“No. Fox Girl. Haya is nearby however. Titania is in the bridge.” Nick explained quickly, rapidly typing at a speed human digits never could. “Let me see if I can get rid of her for a few minutes… you are going to pay me back with that ground coffee I like for this…”

Briefly, Kentaro considered suggesting he leave the ‘getting rid of’ to him. A couple of choice rude words and some lecherous behaviour would see the woman leave fairly quickly, most likely. The idea was dismissed - burning that potential bridge wasn’t worth the cost of the coffee. “If you say so.”

Nick finished typing and on the datapad, a hidden camera showed the foxgirl hopping away from her controls as she paced a little next to her console before leaving. “We're good to go. But we should hurry. I have lost eyes on Haya and she could access my files if she comes across us.” Nick closed his datapad once more before resuming a brisk pace.

“The hell is this even about?” his companion asked, matching that pace with surprising ease. Together, they likely made for an intimidating sight - two bulky men, one obviously cybernetically augmented, striding at high speed and with purpose down a narrow corridor. “You’re demanding favours before I even know what the fuck you’re tryin’ to show me.”

“I'm giving you access to my entire network, along with the same authority I have, and I'm asking several favors from my closest contacts. I'd say that’s worth more than the bag of coffee I'm asking for.” He replied, his eyes glued to his datapad. “I'm being nice and setting you up with priority over my typical info gathering. That way, you can find out what you need to know faster and, more importantly, use my network to track your enemies. Now that I think about it, make that two bags of coffee.”

An irritable grunt met that increase in charge. “... when’d you get this jumpy?” Kentaro questioned, watching Nick with the intense scrutiny one might associate with suspicion. “You used to be a bit more chill than this.”

“I… You remember the old game Kaz and I have? Counting how many times we've saved each other's ass?” Nick asked, tilting his trillby down to hide his eyes.

Taxor_the_First

A Contingency Plan, Part 2

A frown. “Yeah. What’re the numbers up to now?”

“Nine and three, although it's what the numbers don't say that's the issue. We had a mission go SNAFU, and we got separated. Moon base with pirates, so I couldn't just blast my way out without being sucked out into space. Deep in the complex, I got blown up. IED, but carefully hidden and placed. My civ leg was ripped off and my comms were damaged. I stumbled into the nearest room, only to find a screen. With all my info. Every. Last. Detail.” Nick shook a little, but only enough that Kentaro could see. “I managed to fight my way out but… that… it scared me. Bad. I didn't tell Kaz. Didn't want to worry her as there was just no file on her. But…” At this point, Nick's body started tensing up as he walked, his face twisted into a grimace.

“... I see.” Kentaro’s face had lost it’s cocky disinterest. He was well aware of the pride - of a sort - that Nick took in his pet network. To have something like that exposed… to have his own identity laid bare so clearly and with such detail right before his eyes. It was a feeling Kentaro knew well. One he’d spent years running from. “Take it from me. Someone that bothers to go to that sort of trouble just for you is someone that’s terrified of you too. Scared and desperate enough to clutch at any goddamn straws they’ve got, on the off chance one of them’s the needle they need to drive through your eye. Prey on that fear. Let it make you stronger. And show them they’ve got something to be scared about.” He gestured. “I take it you’ve already identified and taken care of that, uh… leak? Or’s that still a problem?”

“The server was dealt with, but whoever… I don't know. And that's what scares me. I have nothing, no galactic IP, no user data, not even a fucking cookie. Nothing save a message. ‘Hello, Nick. I'll be watching you from now on.’ I haven't had a good night's sleep in three months, Ken.” Nick's voice concealed the fear, the terror, and the burning rage the giant cyborg felt. Save for the two he knew well enough to call friends and or family of a sort. “I just… I don't know. I don't know how to deal with it. And thus, a secondary administrator to my network, should I suddenly ‘expire’. That way you and Kaz have a monitoring system even after...yeah.”

The Japanese man placed a comforting hand on Nick’s shoulder. “Hey, come on. You’re not gonna ‘expire’. You think either me or Kaz know how to run all that shit? We need you to stick around. Which means you’ve got two badasses at your back, should anyone come for you. And on this ship, I don’t think anyone has the subterfuge necessary to even make the attempt.” The hand clapped the same shoulder before retracting. “So relax. The biggest insult you can throw at an enemy is ignoring them. You let it get to you too much, they win. Smile. Have a few drinks. Fuck a couple of women. Take it easy. And wait for an opportunity.”

Nick took a deep breath. “You're right. You're right. Guess I should probably tell Kazane about this, huh?” Nick asked rhetorically, “I'll try to keep a level head but… check in on me occasionally. It'll take me a bit to unwind myself.” With that, they finally arrived at the bridge. Vacant, for now. Nick went over to his terminal and logged in then quickly hit the logout button. It opened a new window called Hydra. Nick briefly checked his datapad and frowned. “I can't seem to find the Tam anymore…”

“It’s not like we wouldn’t notice her enter. There’s only one door.” A pause. “... right?”

“Door, yes. Insect tunnel, no.” Nick glanced nervously at his compatriot before typing furiously on the terminals controls, filling in data at an alarming rate. He was done within seconds, with a prompt that asked for a response of ‘Nicholas Graves’.

“Oh, right, the cockroaches…” Kentaro murmured. “Not like they’re particularly hard to spot eith- you’re done already? Damn, you’re quick.”

“I always am. I have to be as a computer specialist.” Nick quickly grabbed his datapad and wrote ‘say the phrase casually.’ “Seeing as I know that's what the ladies say about you in bed.”

A cackling laugh met the comment. “Ouch,” his companion chuckled, shaking his head. “But hey. At least they talk about me. They’ve got nothin’ to work with when it comes to you. I’d say no reputation is worse than a bad one.” His eyes alighted on the datapad, but, he made no comment about it’s contents.

Nick let out a hiss through his teeth. “Fuck… I forgot how quick you think on your feet. I'm going to have to learn that in order to deal with you… after all, you'll tell Kaz and I'll never hear the end of it.” Nick took his trillby off, his eyes showing some mirth in them. However, he scrolled to the entire roster of the crew hitting Haya's name to show that the program didn't know her location.

Kentaro’s mouth pressed sideways. “Speakin’ of Kaz,” he noted, eyeing the cyborg. “You ever, uh… you know. Made an attempt?”

“I… did think about it. But, her addiction to breasts would've gotten in the way, if it ever did happen. So I decided to not fuck up a good friendship and minor rivalry.” Nick answered, his face a little red. “How about you? Did you make a move, Ken?”

He spread his hands. “Is that even a question? ‘Course I did. I think I’m up to attempt number… eight? It’s a joke at this point, but hey. We just end up shooting the shit about the other women nearby instead, taking the shit out of each other. Had a nice chat about the captain when I got here. Bonding over that mends any damage I might’ve done.” A shrug. “Don’t know if you could pull that off though. I get away with it because of who I am, and you’re not me.”

“True, but then again, I'm not that lecherous and if I ever reach your level, please take me out with a shot to the head.” Nick joked, chuckling somewhat. “But uh… do be warned. There are some girls that are more likely to shoot you than flirt, so… try not to stare at their breasts for a singular second, okay?”

“I mean I stared at Haya’s for a good five seconds while she was talking to me.” A pause. Kentaro rubbed the back of his neck. “... and she pulled a gun on me a few seconds later, so… maybe… yeah. Good point.”

“Wow… you are so smooth, Ken. Got a member of the opposite sex to want to kill you. What is this the seventh?” Nick asked, his face earnest. “No really, is it? Kaz hasn't updated me to your escapades in months.”

“I was doing it to piss her off, cut me some slack.” A grunted cough. “... and it’s thirteen now.”

Nick let out a low whistle. “Damn. Why you always go after the ones capable of putting a bullet in your head. Is fucking one of them really worth it? Is it that good?” Nick started before shrugging. “But considering you haven't been rejected by every known species in the galaxy, I'll admit how good your tactics are.”

Kentaro’s expression was sullen and dark. “Yeah, yeah, ‘don’t put your dick in crazy’, I know.” He sighed, and the smouldering cleared. “You’re not wrong, I still have a chance with an Azisin. Although if I fuck that up, that entire species is out then, huh…”

“Only the ones nearby. You could still try with them, although you still might pick the crazy ones.” Nick mused teasingly. “But hey, at least you won't be forgotten. Azizin are very particular about that. Say, if that does happen, want me to give your eulogy?”

“Nah, fuck you. You’d probably just make some joke about me trying to get oral sex from one and becoming ‘worm food’.”

“Oh, definitely. That'd be fun to do to you, Kentaro.” Suddenly the datapad showed a bead on Haya. “So… your turn. What are you gonna say to me to utterly destroy my confidence?”

Kentaro noted her location with a slight relaxation - close by, but not on her way here. Not at the moment, anyway. “Well, I have always wondered just how much of you is metal, if you know what I mean. Was that replaced too? Does it even work? Is that why you don’t get with any women, or is that just because you’re an asshole?”

Nick bursted out laughing, his hard eyes and tough demeanor fading away for a more youthful look. “I'm an asshole. Plain and simple. If a girl can even consider me dating material or hell, fuck-buddy material, I'll be surprised. And yeah, I got the parts still attached, non-augmented. Wouldn't be able to live with myself if that was the case. Go on, say the prompt before it disappears, my fellow asshole.”

A low chuckle. “The hell you talkin’ about, Nicholas Graves?”

Taxor_the_First

A Contingency Plan, Part 3

The screen did a slight chirp before a slew of technical documents flew by in an instant. The screen ended with a brief five-second login that showed Kentaro the steps to access Nick's network, his login, and password. “There you go. Now that I can a hundred percent confirm how much of an asshole you are, you're free to mess around with my stuff.” Nick grinned as the monitor went back to its typical tactical display. The datapad chimed once more showing that Titania would arrive within a couple minutes.

“And just in time,” Kentaro noted, straightening his suit jacket. “Sorry to do that whole song and dance to you. I couldn’t resist.”

“Perfectly fine. I'm sorry I had to take some jabs at you. It was too hilarious not to try.” Nick shot back as he quickly logged out of the terminal proper and stood up, “Let's go before I get to explain why we're here. And why their inevitably is porno on my monitor as I will put it there to blame you.”

“Ah, c’mon, man…” Something seemed to occur to him as they began to step outside. “Actually that reminds me, do you know if Kaz still has that, uh… digital collection? Or the ramen template. I’ll take that if not the former. Both would be fucking heaven.”

“Ramen Template… yup, she still has it. She also said to stay out of her room unless invited. I think. As for the digital collection…” Nick looked around to see if Kazane was near. He didn't see her but he didn't dare take the chance. “I can't say for fear of retribution that dwarfs any horror in the universe. You're gonna have to ask her yourself, Chief.”

A frustrated scowl. “Alright, alright, I get it. I’ll suffer the humiliation of asking her. Asshole.”

“Hey, she had me design security for it to counteract hackers. I can't get in even if I tried.” Nick laughed, the giant becoming nearly jovial. “Besides, I could make the effort… for five extra bags of coffee.”

Kentaro made a gagging noise. “That’s robbery!” he complained. “That shit’s expensive, you know! Egh, dealing with a smug Kazane is probably worth skipping the extra bags…”

“I'm an info broker. Robbery is kind of the whole point. Besides, do you really want to deal with her taunting you nearly every single day with it? What's a bit more money to ensure that… collection somehow ends up with a backdoor you can access any time, hmm?” Nick raised an eyebrow, offering a half-smile to his compatriot.

“You say that like I want to be beholden to her collection rather than just having copies of my own to use even if she’s off the network,” was the grumbled response. “B-besides, I only want it for the flight simulator.”

“Suuure. But if it's backdoored, that means she'll update it every now and then. That means you'll always receive something new to practice with.” Nick's smile was predatory now, his eyes like dark coins that gleaned with greed. “For five bags of coffee, you get some real quality stuff. What do you say? Swallow your pride and get an amazing deal? Or wallow away and suffer innumerous indignities?”

Kentaro’s jaw clenched. “... ensure she can’t see me doing it, and you have a deal,” he growled in defeat. “Where the fuck did you learn to haggle like that? You must really like that fucking coffee.”

“I don't like coffee, I love it.” Nick laughed, and held out his hand while they walked. “And it comes with the territory. I can only do it well for things I really like or love, so… you were gonna pay me in coffee either way. And you know that I never make a deal unless I can guarantee my client's anonymity.”

The outstretched hand was met another, which shook it sullenly. “Save the spiel. I already know you’re reliable. Wouldn’t tell you shit if I didn’t. I’ll grab those bags next port we drop into that has ‘em.”

“Only get five. The first two were for a service I offered for free.” A beep marked that they were getting closer to Haya's location more than likely close to passing it. “After all, even if you're an ass at times… I still consider you a friend and trust you.” Nick's eyes flicked forward as he scanned for the lethal Tamearin, hoping they'd avoid her entirely.

“I’m not going to dinner with you,” Kentaro snarked. He glanced into a doorway they passed - spotting Haya looking towards him quizzically from within. Evidently she’d heard that comment and nothing else. “You heard me,” he sneered at her as they went past.

“Now I understand. You ever gonna make up with her?” Nick asked while mentally sighing. And another woman to add to the piles of not interested and annoyed...

“Not if I can help it,” was the response. “She’s a colleague first, female second. I prefer my colleagues on their toes. If that means taking the shit out of them all the time, then fine. Complacency is a hell of a foe.”

“True, but making up might make it more likely to help you out when the time comes. This business requires trust and professionalism. Take one out and chances are you'll die.” Nick warned before shrugging. “But I'm just the tech guy. Do what you think is good for you. Your instincts tend to be right… when you're not drooling like Kaz over a pair of breasts.”

“We’ve spent years being unprofessional and mistrustful, and we’re still kicking, ain’t we?” Kentaro exhaled, and rubbed the back of his head. “I’m reliable, see. I’m an ass, I make poor choices when it comes to women, but if you get pinned in a firefight with me I sure as hell ain’t gonna leave in a bodybag. And I don’t consign allies to that fate either. People realise that eventually. That’s where I get my trust, Nick. Actions speak louder than words, and all that.”

“Well said, Ken.” Nick actually paused his face serious and calculating again. “Well said. And I know you are way better of a man than most would peg you. I've had time to realize that. These people have not had that time. Some of them are rookies on their first round of combat other's are distrustful and more closed off than I am. Just… be careful. The others may be a bit more petty than we are.” Nick's eyes held a curious emotion in them, faint but still present: concern.

“Pettier than me?” Kentaro chuckled - almost menacingly. “Nick, Nick, Nick. I can be real petty, don’t you worry about that. Even so, I’ll be fine. We’ll be fine. We’ve got this far, right? Be a shame to fuck it all up now.”

“True. And I can't die while you're still getting an exorbitant amount of crazy exes wanting to slice you into itty bitty pieces after another ride. Cause if I do, then they're all going to find you and there'll be nothing left.” Nick half-joked. “But truth is, out of the three of us, I'm most likely to kick the bucket. My augs aren't as strong as your guys’. But until that happens, I'm going to annoy the living hell out of you both.”

“Attaboy. You’re good at that.”

Taxor_the_First

Taxor the First and Shadowhounder
Compulsion and Doubt, Part 1

Elisa wondered around the halls of the ship... seeing if she could come across another exciting room to explore. After several minutes of walking, Elisa returned to her room... soon realizing how long she had gone without sleep. She quickly collapsed onto her fluffy bed out of exhaustion. Perhaps she would have more time tomorrow... whenever that was on a ship floating in space. Yet she found it delayed by a simple knocking at the door - clear and rapid, the strikes of someone confident they could handle whatever opened it. Elisa's head popped up immediately, any sign of exhaustion disappearing. She quickly jumped up from her bed and fixed her hair, letting her friends move over to open the door as she organized a few books in the corner.

The golden-haired female Tamearin on the other side seemed surprised that the door opened with the room's sole occupant elsewhere. "Oh. Hello." She moved forward enough to stick her neck in, but remained otherwise stationary. "I spotted you walking around a few minutes ago. And... well." The bounty hunter's eyes - for that was clearly what she was, judging by her attire - scanned Elisa from top to bottom. "I don't mean this offensively, but you seem to be... out of place."

"You aren't wrong..." Elisa giggled lightly. "I don't really have a place at the moment."

Haya's eyes narrowed at that. "Are you a stowaway?" she asked bluntly.

Elisa jumped at the question. "Oh no! Not that! Ms. Jetstorm let me join... we just haven't found where I fit the best within the crew."

Well, she knows the Captain's name. That's a promising indicator that she's here by design. The Tamearin relaxed. "I see." I dont see. She's not exactly a fighter. Appearances can deceive, but... She gestured. "May I come in? You're presenting a mystery that I'd like to get to the bottom of."

"Ummm... sure, you don't have to ask. I'm pretty certain if you wanted to kill me you would've done so by now." Elisa remarked in a way that made it hard to tell if she was joking or not.

The older woman blinked. Processed the comment. Analysed Elisa for a few seconds. Blinked again. And finally, gave up. With a sigh, she entered properly, closing the door behind her. "First, polite niceties: my name is Haya. Bounty hunter, as you may have guessed. You?"

"I'm Elisa, nice to meet you." The young girl extended her hand, meeting the hardened mercenary with a cheerful smile. Behind her, a small, barely visible cloud of nanobytes floated patiently... like a guard dog watching it's territory.

Haya took the proffered hand calmly, shaking it with surprising grace. When she retracted, she noted: "There is a haze in the air behind you. You're aware of it, yes?" Her eyes were steely despite the calm way in which she spoke - a challenge. If it's a threat, I have made her aware of it. If it is a weapon of hers in some way... then I have made her aware I know of it. Her reaction in either case will say much about her. Just as it was with Kentaro.

"A haze? What are you-" Elisa looked back, pausing her words when she noticed the cloud behind her. "Oh! Don't mind them... they're just like that. Guess word of my friends hasn't spread that far yet."

"'Friends'?" Haya repeated, lifting a curious eyebrow. Cheerful response. Either an excellent facade or genuine lack of hostile intent. Inclined to say the latter.

"Well, that's what I call them. Everyone else seems more inclined to call them by their design name... nanobytes." Elisa explained to the woman. "I think they might be a little overprotective of me though..."

"I see." The Tamearin's eyes were practically sparkling with curiosity. "Synthetic entity, so... programmed. Designed, manufactured, likely purposefully. Protection bias- ah." She cleared her throat. "Apologies, I got a little excited. These nanobytes - you did not design them yourself, did you?"

Elisa placed a hand in front of her voice as she laughed nervously. "No... I barely know anything about how they were designed. I'm pretty certain the researchers that made them are in some prison cell... so I can't ask them either."

That caused Haya to tilt her head. Ethically ambiguous creation, perhaps. Straying too close to AI? She decided not to press that issue, in case it was sensitive. Politics was hardly her domain. "Unfortunate. A cohesive cloud of miniature machines like this is an impressive feat. I would have liked an insight into their function..." She adjusted her attention from the fluctuating cloud and returned it to Elisa. "How long have you had them active? Are they always on? When you say 'protective', do you mean to imply they can defend you against violence or danger in some way?"

"I don't even know if they can be turned off..." Elisa admitted, the nanobytes taking form of a cat and placed themselves comfortably on her lap. "As for protective... they tend to threaten people that make me uncomfortable. That had led to a few accidents whenever Malcolm took me to the tavern with him. He recently had a theory going that they respond directly to my emotions... and that's why they have a tendency to act without me realizing it."

The Tamearin was seemingly having difficulty imagining the slight woman before her going into a tavern, even one that could be considered 'classy'. "Malcolm?" she repeated, frowning. "Who would that be, your boyfriend? Brother? Father?"

"He's the one that took me in when the researcher were captured. He's a businessman, so sometimes he has to leave under sudden notices... but that didn't stop him from being my father for a few years that I was with him." Elisa told Haya with a bright smile. "Who knows where I would be now if he didn't step in."

Haya gave her what approximated as a warm smile back, at least as much as someone as neutral as she could accomplish. She had them prior, then. This Malcolm must be an interesting individual to take on someone with such an... abnormal capacity. Of course, that would mean... "... your earlier years were spent with the researchers," she surmised. "I take it, then, that you did not have the standard human upbringing." Her eyes flicked to the 'cat', and her mouth twitched into a frown for a split second. "And those have been bound to you for most of your life." The current tenure of said researchers is beginning to make more sense, now.

"Unless you call growing up in a glass box 'standard' I was not." Elisa remarked in a joking manner, though an almost unnoticeable hint of discomfort sparked in her voice... not long enough to be easily heard, but long enough for a sharp ear to catch.

Naturally, Haya was one such individual. She knew better than to bite, however - doing so would merely dredge up memories of a worse time, and potentially cut the discussion short if Elisa decided she didn't want to speak about it. That would curtail any attempts to dig deeper about the objects of Haya's fascination. Instead: "My condolences. But you pass well enough for normal for a human, at least to this outsider's eyes. Despite the unusual upbringing. That speaks of impressive resilience."

"Resilience? I just consider myself lucky." Elisa leaned to the side slightly, having taken the time to sit on her new bed while the conversation went on. Her movement was unfortunately halted when a spike of pain shot through her lower gut. The cat formation quickly darted up to her shoulder as she placed a hand on the wounded area. "Don't worry, you did your best... I had a feeling it hadn't healed fully." She reassured the concerned looking nanobyte kitty.

The Tamearin she was speaking to took a step forward, immediately identifying and examining the area of pain as best she could without direct vision. A useless effort - it wasn't as if she could do anything Elisa hadn't to alleviate her pain. "An old wound?" she questioned. "I'm assuming you're not of the 'bold but stupid' subset of humanity and have actually had that examined with intent to fix it."

Elisa's cheeks turned red as she turned her gaze towards the cat. "I forgot to do that... I was a little too focused on not dying to remind myself to see a professional afterwards. I think Malcolm would've forced me to if I hadn't left when I did." As she explained the mistake, the cat dispersed and vanished from sight. "Let's see how much of that cluster we can break down this time..."

Haya blinked in surprise, before tilting her head. "Is there anything I can do to assist?" she queried.

Taxor_the_First

Taxor the First and Shadowhounder
Compulsion and Doubt, Part 2

"Help me not think about it?" Elisa replied, clenching her teeth once the nanobytes got to work. "Word of advice when performing self surgery: Keep track of where your blood veins are... turns out they can get tangled up rather easily."

"I'll... retain that advice," was the careful response. The Tamearin eyed the affected area once more before setting about the task Elisa had given her. "You said you left. I take it your presence on this ship is related to that?" A runaway, maybe?

"Yeah, Malcolm asked Ms. Jetstorm to let me join... so I've been here since then." Elisa answered while she winced in pain. "I was surprised that she said yes, if I'm being honest."

Not a runaway, then. "Any particular purpose?" Haya pressed. "Necessity, desire to see the stars, something equally-" -vague and frivolous. "-adventurous?"

"That's better..." Elisa muttered as the metal cloud entered vision once more, though only briefly as they had nothing to do for the time being. Elisa flopped onto her bed and stretched. "Purpose? I'm not really sure. I always wanted to see what was beyond the city that Malcolm raised me in... but I had opportunities to do that before. I dunno, but something about this ship... calls to me. Almost like a piece of my life is hidden somewhere in the frame of the hull... so close, but always too far for me to reach it."

Haya glanced at the metal of the wall. "Well, it wouldn't be particularly difficult to dig out given the state of this vessel," she muttered. She failed to suppress a sigh. Shouldn't have expected anything. Everybody is either secretive about their motivations, or too carefree to have any. I can't figure out how people tick like that... For a moment, the Tamearin considered taking a peek inside Elisa's head with psionics. To her annoyance, Kentaro's warning against such practices echoed in her mind, and she dropped the resolve to do it. Instead, she gestured at her companion's side. "I'm certain there's a medical professional on this ship. If there is not, I will need to discuss that necessity with Ms. Jetstorm. You should see them about... whatever is going wrong there."

Elisa sat back up. "I'm sure there is someone who can at least give medical advice on the matter... though I'm not sure how you untangl-" The girl suddenly paused, her eyes starting to glow dimly. Without another word, she jumped to her feet and ran out of the room. I know I'll find it this time... The young girl assured herself mentally as she chased down the strange feeling that bugged her time and time again.

What- "Elisa!" The Tamearin grunted when the fleeing girl didn't respond, and resigned herself to a chase. She started pursuing her, though no so much as to outright catch her - this was behaviour that warranted investigation and observation.

After a few moments of pursuit, the trail went dead... causing Elisa to groan in frustration. "I could've swore I had it this time..."

"Had what?" Haya's quiet voice asked from behind her.

Elisa jumped when she heard Haya's voice, the nanobytes already preparing to defend her. "Haya! I didn't see you there!"

"You left rather suddenly," the bounty-hunter replied. The absolute neutrality in her voice was making her sound perhaps more threatening than her words indicated - a side effect of simply being a Tamearin, most likely. "I felt it was best to tail you to determine what had caused such a sudden exit. And to see if you required help." She made a rolling gesture with her hand. "Had what?" she repeated.

"I don't know what it is..." Elisa stated, frustration starting to set in. "I just can't help but follow it whenever it shows up... I need to know what it is."

Haya's brow furrowed in concentration, and she folded her arms. "Inexplicable urge... Could you resist it if you attempted to? Or is it compulsory?"

"But... but..." Elisa seemed to get more frustrated as time when on. "If I ignore it I'll never find out what it is. I can't just let go of something when there could be so much I can still discover."

"Not suggesting you ignore it," the Tamearin clarified. "Asking for principle. Can you resist if you try, or not?"

"Why would I want to?" Elisa snapped.

Haya bristled at the response, before forcing herself to relax. "To prove you are able to walk away at any time should you find that urge takes you places you do not want to go," was the logical answer. "To prove that you are not being manipulated in some form, or that if you are, you are not beholden to it. I understand that it is important to you, but you must consider risks. You have an unknown compulsion to seek out something else unknown. Blindly rushing in..." she trailed off for a moment, a few choice memories stinging her brain. "... can get you hurt or worse," she finished.

Elisa looked down at the clear floor. "Right... sorry for forgetting..."

Forgetting? Haya looked down to spare Elisa her glare - she'd found that tended to make humans more comfortable. "I'm merely concerned about whatever this compulsion is. You would be smart to treat it with a level of care when you follow it, lest it turn out to be a trap of some kind. But... if it is that important to you, then follow it if you must."

"Haya?" Elisa looked up at the bounty hunter, trying her best to hold back her tears. "Have you ever... risked your own life to save another?"

When the Tamearin glanced back up again, her expression was more curious. "Of course," she answered, as if that were nothing. "I have occasionally been forced to intervene between criminals and their victims. Such is my job. Why?"

Elisa placed a hand on her wound. "It's just that... sometimes I worry that I made the wrong decision by saving people... that maybe I saved someone who was a horrible person and didn't realize it."

"That would likely depend on your personal stance on the eternal question of justice versus morality," Haya responded unhelpfully. "Perhaps more pertinent to you, that would depend on the kind of person you stopped, and the kind of person you saved in the process. I... take it there's a story behind this question?"

"Nothing that's important right now." Elisa stated in an attempt to avoid the topic. "I'm sure it won't matter anyway..."

The Tamearin frowned - but relented. "I find that lingering on questions of the past is an unnecessary difficulty. Make your peace with your actions and use that to motivate all that comes next, if you must. It's what I do. There's no changing it now." She shrugged. "Simple fact, that one."

Elisa wiped away her tears, only to suddenly be tackled by a jumbled mess of nanobytes attempting to be a large fluffy dog. The dog let out a sharp bark sound as it sat on top of a giggling Elisa.

Distraction from a source of stress by replicating a creature whose behaviours typically induce a positive mental response. Interesting. They're that in-tune with her? Haya watched the girl and her pet for a moment before inclining her head. "... I should leave you. I interrupted you in your own room. You must be in the middle of a rest period, and I have given you distress by my presence. My apologies."

"I don't mind." Elisa reassured the hunter, sending her dog companion flying with a single push of her hands. The dog dispersed back into a cloud as she jumped back to her feet effortlessly. "You seem like a nice person, so I'm sure you didn't mean too."

Haya blinked. Not many humans had labelled her 'nice'. "Intent was not to upset you, no," she allowed. "But I did so anyway."

Elisa walked up to Haya and patted her on the head. "You're not going to be able to be nice if you are so focused on all the mean things you've done. The best way to fix a problem is to think about how to fix it... not why it's a problem."

Of course it is. I shouldn't need to be told that. Yet she had. The slip irked her. "My solution," she began in an attempt to distract herself from that irritation, "is to leave you in peace if that is what you desire. Allow you time alone."

Elisa let out a long yawn as she listened to what Haya had to say. "I guess I could use some slee-" The young girl, having reached the limit on how long she could prolong physical rest, collapsed onto the floor beneath her.

She was fortunate Haya had such impressive reflexes. The Tamearin caught her before her skull could hit the metal, before bundling her up in her arms and lifting her with a grunt of exertion. "Such a strange girl," the bounty hunter muttered, beginning the long walk back to Elisa's room.

ShadowHounder

ShadowHounder and InsaneDarkness: Sniper in "Training"

Ella fired upon the holo-targets within the room, each falling to the ground in pieces within a few moments of their appearance. While the sounds her holo-sniper made were sounds emitted from gunpowder-based weaponry, the shots themselves were more like her own weapon's: a top of the line customized sniper rifle. She removed the holo-cartridge and replaced it with a full one before firing upon the new targets that popped up.

Elisa walked into the room while Ella was reloading. She came here hoping to practice some marksmanship of her own... since she rarely got the chance back home. "I hope I'm not interrupting anything." The girl remarked as she examined the holograms. "I didn't think someone else would already be here."

"Nothing too crazy." Ella replied as three targets fell down in succession.

"So... umm... How does this work?" Elisa asked the sharpshooter. "If you don't mind me asking..."

"Aim the shot, pull the trigger. One of the least complicated objects bounty hunters employ." Four more targets fell in pieces. "Then again, I'm sure you knew that."

"I guess you're right." Elisa remarked as she reached over and cautiously grabbed a holographic rifle. She walked over to an area that wouldn't interrupt Ella and practiced her own aim. She wasn't as fast as the other marksman was... but she was just as accurate.

After a few moments and sneaked glances, Ella spoke up. "It seems I have some potential competition..." she stated in both a depressing and uplifting way.

"I don't think I'm that good just yet..." Elisa stated in between shots. Her shots were consistent, never seeming to pause for any longer then to line up a shot. Was she ever reloading? And if not, how was it that she still shooting?

"Time," Ella stated simply, firing off a few more shots before reloading.

Elisa turned to look at the new face. "What do you mean by that?"

A few more shots rang out as she spoke. "Everything takes time. If you really want to become good at something, invest time in it. You'll most likely be better at it than when you started."

Elisa nodded before returning to her practice. She had the time to learn and improve... now was the best place to use it. And all through out her time in the range, she had yet to reload her rifle.

As Ella stood up, her weapon disappearing into nothingness, she looked at her targets, of which were still and unmoving. "Change to humanoid targets," she demanded. The targets immediately transformed into humanoids with targets on their chests and heads. A sidearm pistol appeared in Ella's hand before she lifted it up, cocking it and aiming it at the targets.

Elisa's interested peaked when she saw the sidearm Ella was using. "What kind of weapon is that?" The young girl asked curiously as she approached the marksman.

"It's based off of my own design which was roughly based on the Glocks of old. I wish I could have pertained to the original design more..."

"Glocks?" The young girl said in a curious tone, struggling slightly to pronounce the word.

"A pistol from over a thousand years ago." Ella fired it off at a few of the targets, the sound very close to the original.

"Oh really?" Elisa walked up to the woman. "Would you mind if I gave it a try?"

Ella spun the gun around a few times before grabbing it by the barrel, holding the grip out to Elisa. "Go ahead."

Elisa placed the holographic rifle on the table in front of them and took hold of the pistol. It was significantly lighter then she was expecting... but still felt like a weapon with firepower to it. She carefully inspected every piece of the hologram... her eyes glowing a light blue as the information was brought to the forefront of her mind. After a moment, she pointed the gun at one of the targets, firing three rounds into the wire framed dummy. "So that's how this works... theses are pretty cool. Who know such a small gun could have the same amount of strength as a rifle?"

"Incorrect," Ella said, her voice more powerful and demanding. "The pistol holds a mere fraction of the power and range of a rifle." She put an arm behind her back over her shoulder, where her holo-rifle reappeared. She aimed her sights and fired at one humanoid target that had wandered too far, hitting his ankle. She cocked the gun once more and fired again as the target was falling, the head shattering into pieces as the shot went through it. "A pistol could not hit those shots or do that much damage. One would need exceptional aim to use a pistol like a sniper."

"Yes, that is true, but I doubt someone would want to use a rifle in close quarters." Elisa retorted. "I was thinking about range difference when I said that... only power and capability. Every weapon has it's uses... but only if you know when and how to use them."

"Exactly." Ella pointed a finger at Elisa. "If I, as a sniper, get ambushed from behind, I need a weapon." She moved her finger to the holo-pistol in Elisa's hand, raising an eyebrow. "Which is why I need that thing."

"It is an interesting design." Elisa inspected the weapon more as they talked. "To accommodate the closed design, the grip was fashioned as a magazine... allowing one to reload the gun without large struggles." A physical object started to form within the hologram. Elisa aim the firearm at one of the targets, before firing the pistol and striking down the dummy from a decent distance away.

"I... wouldn't use real weapons in a holo-room..." Ella muttered, concerned.

"Oh, sorry, I didn't know." Elisa replied in a nervous voice. "I'm not really used to how the holo-room's guns work either."

Ella pointed to the wall where Elisa's shot ended up after it went through the target. "If it were a holo-gun, it wouldn't have done that."

A small cloud of nanobytes moved towards the damaged wall and began repairing it. "Thankfully that's not all that hard to fix."

"Nanobots?" Ella asked for clarification, her ear twitching in curiosity.

"That's what everyone calls them..." Elisa explained as the cloud returned to her. "I just see them as my friends."

"Could I... see one?"

"I'm not sure that you could physically see just one of them..." Elisa giggled nervously as her cloud of nanaobytes took a solid, spherical form. "They're smaller then everyone I've met can see normally."

"Interesting... I've yet to see much on nanobots. One of the few subjects of tech that I've yet to explore. How much do you know about them that you could teach me?" Ella's ears twitched even more.

Elisa looked at the floor bellow her with a depressed face. "I don't know. I never did any of the research myself."

"Is there anything you overheard, then? I assume you were a... test subject?"

"If they did mention anything about it front of me, I was too young to remember it." Elisa faced her gaze towards Ella once more. "I grew up with my friends... so I only recently learned about what they are."

Ella turned to her right. "Vi, search the database for anything on nanobots. Let me know what you find."

"I figured you would ask that," Vi replied in Ella's head.

"If so, then you better finish your damn job faster." Ella sighed before turning back to Elisa. "What's your--"

"Found a few hits for--"

"Would you not?" Ella growled, turning her head quickly to her right, baring her teeth.

"I do not understand what you--"

"Whatever... Just... What did you find?" Ella sighed, relinquishing control to Vi before turning back to face Elisa.

ShadowHounder

ShadowHounder and InsaneDarkness: Sniper in "Training" Part 2

Vi cleared her virtual throat, which incidentally cleared Ella's. "'Nanobots are robotics ranging from 0.1 to 10 micrometers and are often constructed of nanoscale or molecular components. More recent scientific breakthroughs have decreased their size, though with varying effectiveness compared to their larger counterparts. They are intended to perform tasks requiring precision and accuracy, similar to a highly efficient swarm of insects." While Ella's face was neutral as her mouth spat out information, a small smile crept upon her face that looked incredibly forced.

"I wonder what they were planning with my friends then..." Elisa muttered to herself, seeming to get lost in her own thought. "I haven't done anything that would go outside of that description... but the researchers that raised me said that they were trying to 'break the mold.' If only I knew what that meant."

"They are trying to make something completely new," Vi's voice disguised as Ella's replied, her response a little too quick on the draw.

"Do you know what they were trying to do then?" Elisa asked the woman, concern forming in her voice as the potential answer stood in front of her.

Ella blinked twice and her body language shifted to be more natural and less calculated. "'Making something completely new' would mean it's related to you or related to the nanobots. Or both. Likely the latter. Is there... anything on your body that isn't organic? Like, somewhere that has circuitry or metal parts?" Ella was noticeably uncomfortable asking, but she felt it was necessary.

"Not that I'm aware of..." Elisa was confused greatly by the question... as it wasn't the first time she was asked this. "Is there supposed to be something like that?"

"If you are partly cyborg in nature, that would explain a few things. Though I should ask first... How do you emit the nanobots? Or, your friends?"

"I don't 'emit' them." Elisa laughed in an embarrassed manner. "They just show up whenever they need to do something."

"Show up? Like?..." Ella rotated her hand in a gesture to insinuate she wished for Elisa to continue.

Elisa's cheeks turned a bright red. "I'm sorry but that's... all... I know..."

"How many come? Is there a limit?"

"I don't really count them..." Elisa rubbed the back of her head... the increasing amount of questions causing her face to glow with anxiety.

Ella took a step back. "Hmm... I'll be honest: I don't have much to go on. You're definitely an odd individual. Stay around other odd individuals and you'll fit right in, I guess." She gave her a sympathetic smile with a splash of apologetic eyes for her incessant pestering.

"You really think so? I guess that's why I gravitated towards you so much..." Elisa rubbed her cheek with a finger... before realizing what she had just said. "I'm sorry! I didn't mean it like that!"

"I am rather odd, yes. I am what most would consider 'the runt of the litter'. I am the smallest and weakest of my siblings, believe it or not," Ella explained, taking no offense.

Elisa couldn't help but laugh at the words. "Is being the runt that big a deal? I find small things to be rather cute."

"Cute or not, it's hard to be respected." Ella's mouth turned. "As the runt of a prideful family, I was always dumber, weaker, and more incapable than my siblings. My cybernetic arm and Vi are the two things that keep me from staying inadequate. I'm a decent sniper on my own, but Vi makes me exceptional."

Elisa let out an annoyed sigh when Ella explained her family. "What is it about pride that make people consume themselves with it? Is it so hard to just respect people because they're nice and caring?"

"What a person is capable of is often worth more than how they treat others. Others respect me purely out of my skill with my gun. I wouldn't say I'm nice, but I can't say I've earned any respect through being cold or by being kind. What I can do to or for them strikes closer to their core," Ella stated matter-of-factly, a tinge of annoyance yet acceptance in her voice.

"Does that mean you've had to... kill people?" Elisa asked suddenly, trying to wrap her head around the sharpshooter's words.

"One of the two things I do as a bounty Hunter. As a sniper, though, it's almost always death. Never really do people ask me to help on missions where individuals are intended to be left alive. As a failsafe, maybe, but most don't consider the possibility of someone trying to run."

"Oh..." Elisa's gaze slowly moved towards the ground. "I guess I'll have to get used to bloodshed then..."

Ella's eyes turned dark. "Are you sure this is the right place for you? Why are you here?"

"I'm here because I wanted to see more of the world." Elisa explained to the woman before her. "And something else compelled me to pursue this ship... I'm not sure what it was."

"Well, be safe. Don't do anything stupid." Ella glanced at the pistol on Elisa's hand. "Got any credits? I can make you a gun, but I can't do it for free."

Elisa paused for a moment to think about the question. "I think Malcolm gave me some before I left... I don't remember where he said I could find it though."

"Alright, well..." Ella decided the topic wasn't worth following through. "Would you mind giving my pistol back?"

Elisa handed Ella the weapon back, holding it by the barrel so that she may grab the trigger. "Maybe you could teach me a few things."

"What do you want to learn?" Ella's ear twitched as she moved to lean on one leg, crossing her arms with the pistol over her left arm.

"I mean, it wouldn't be that hard..." Elisa pressed her pointer fingers together. "I have some practice already... so it's mostly just improvement. And I'm not a stranger to bloodshed... just not used to it yet."

"I assume you want to learn HOW to shoot a gun, then. Especially since you can just create them out of thin air."

Elisa laughed in a nervous manner. "I think there is a bit of a miss understanding. I can't actually create guns... nor could I do it out of thin air. Something like that would require the materials that make up a weapons structural components. Best I can do right now is have my friends take place in the chamber... acting like a infinite supply of bullets in theory."

"Firing friends out of a gun... Wish I could do that. I have a few people I would shoot out of a barrel myself..."

"I wouldn't be doing it if they couldn't survive the impact... though I'm sure they just disperse once they've pierced the target." Elisa stated, a small nanobyte cloud forming behind her. "I have them to thank for everything that I'm capable of."

"I know the feeling," Ella stated grimly, giving the girl a small smile.

Elisa looked down at the ground before her, prompting the nanobytes to take shape as a small cat. The distorted kitten placed itself on the girl's shoulder and rubbed it's cheek with her own. "Hey... now isn't the time for this." Elisa remarked as she placed a hand on the cat... which merely purred with a slightly static sound.

"So, have you named any of your friends? Or at least the forms they take?"

"No... I never really thought about doing that." Elisa answered while the cat forcefully cuddled with her.

"It's a normal thing to do. I've seen people who've named their own guns before. Some even named their individual grenades as a thing to do." Ella's eyebrows scrunched up. "That guy was weird..."

Elisa giggled at the thought. "He must've had a lot of throw away friends then."

"Well, when your friends explode with burning passion when you throw them so they can kill your enemies, I'd say that it's probably worth it. Depending on how many it kills, could be a rather memorable moment." Ella adjusted her voice to be really deep in an attempt to emulate the guy's voice. "I killed a group o' twenty criminals with 'ol Bert. Ah, Bert was a good pal..."

Elisa couldn't help but let out a loud laugh. "He must be a great person to exchange drinks with..."

"He was. Doesn't change exactly how weird he was." Ella couldn't help but smile. "One time... I think I saw him kiss one of his 'friends'."

"Really?" Elisa laughed even louder this time. "I wonder if I'll ever get to meet him then..."

"Look for the man kissing his grenades. I'm sure you can't miss him."

"Fair enough..." Elisa remarked with a smile. "I'll see you soon then?"

"Well, I wasn't planning on going anywhere, but now that you mention it, there are a few things I could be doing right now." Ella pointed to the pistol in Elisa's hand. "Just go ahead and keep that. I can make another one with the parts I have right now. Was going to dual wield them when I finished the second one, but I'm starting to believe that's kind of ridiculous."

"I'll be around then..." Elisa said as she made her way towards the door. "Until we see each other again."

"It was nice talking to you." Ella made it to the door as well, though her body language made it clear she was headed in the opposite direction.

"It was nice meeting you too..." Elisa stated cheerfully, before sprinting down the hallway towards her next destination.

"She's probably gonna die..." Ella grimly murmured as she walked out the door.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Frostlich1228 & ZombieSplitter53
Two Predators Dance

The Dark Room was cluttered with various pieces of furniture and dressers, the occasional Knick knack and collectable on the walls. What looked to be a twisted piece of space grade metal that looked around thirty pounds, guns lined the walls on racks, many of them well kept. The closet on the wall was filled with dark hooded cloaks sized to fit a huge woman.

Sitting on a messy bed in the middle was what looked like a tall Laepaede, studying what looked to be a heavy assault rifle. Her carapace was dark green and grey, signaling that she was a low born Courtesan. Parts of her were burnt and cracked, like two of her left arms and the side her of face.

She reached up and brushed it lightly with her hands as she heard something at the door.

"Awake?" a voice asked as a tall human stepped inside. Sirius Ravenwood swept a hand through his short, well kept hair.

"Yes." Nessiera'tora, or 'Nessie' as her nickname had come to be, spoke, looking up at him. "Just thinking."

Sirius walked over to a dresser. He pulled out some brandy and poured himself a glass. "About what, pray tell?"

"My people. I'm getting closer to changing it all." She smirked slightly, setting the rifle down next to her.

Sirius nodded. "Hard thing for one woman to do alone unfortunately." He smirked back. "But with a little help..."

"And in return... When I'm on top..." She stood up, caressing him with her arms, "Well I'm sure you can do something with the leader of the Laepaede at your Beck and call..." He grinned, leaning forward to kiss her.

She leaned down into it, it was a little hard with their size difference, but unlike most Laepaede, she had a slight hunch when she stood. Her long tongue wrapped and snaked around his, the Laepaedan woman's saliva having a gentle sweetness to it. This locking of tongues tradition was odd at first, but she came to find to quite enjoyable.

When Sirius pulled back, he looked over at the mirror and sighed. Evidently something was on his mind as well.

"Is everything alright my dear?" She tilted her head.

"Hmm?" It was if, for the briefest moment, he forgot he wasn't alone. "It's nothing too major. There is just this... annoying, upstart little wanna-be Bounty Hunter snatching up people to work for her... people I had my eyes on. It's... annoying, to say the least."

"Well, what do you intend to do about it?" Nessie asked, glancing down at her knife. It looked to be a piece of jagged metal that had been wedged into a hilt, it was crudely made, but the blade looked savage. It had a serrated quality, whether or not it was purposeful was unclear however. It almost looked like the flint and stone chipped weapons used by prehistoric humans and it seemed to have seen many battles. "Because I'm with you."

Sirius smirked at her. "And that is why I love you. Well... that, and your natural beauty and big brain."

"Bigger than those in a position of power. But of course, they wouldn't admit that a lowly Sharei could out perform them." She smiled, "If they did their entire inane system would reveal it's hypocracy."

"It will, in time. As for this... Jetstorm woman, I am goi g to watch from a distance from now. If he business implodes and leaves her new hires scattered and desperate for jobs, well... all the cheaper to pick them up."

"Jetstorm? What a childish alias... She's probably beneath you. Just a kid playing soldier." Nessie commented offhandedly.

"Agreed." Sirius finished his glass. "So, what is on the agenda today? Anything new and exciting?"

"We do have some new work. Well paying, not exactly legal. Perfect for us." She reached over and grabbed a holopad, pulling up a three dimensional star map that floated in the air. A Star icon marked their ship as an X symbol appeared at the edge of the screen, approaching a nearby planet. "A Laepaede Hiveship is passing by a planet near us with the intention of scavenging recourses. I have been notified that a certain High Rank Courtesan on board has been reaching up out of her league. They want her gone. Never to be seen again. Luckily she's being sent to oversee the scavenging operation, a perfect opportunity. We could kill her, of course, but It could also be an opportunity to recruit a new member. Or... I have a third solution..."

"Oh?" Sirius gave her a sly smile. "And what is that?"

She reached down into a drawer and pulled out small chest, unlocking and opening it up to reveal of vial of a yellow liquid, swishing it around. "This is a bottle of Royal Pheromone I got from one of my contacts. They were finally able to synthesize it properly. This pheromone triggers obedience in Laepaede who smell it, it's our totalitarian leash."

Sirius' eyes lit up, his smile growing. "So you can get more?"

"Yes. I can. They can't produce much of it, about a bottle per month and it's quite expensive, but luckily we really don't need that much for it to work." She walked over to him, the container upon closer inspection had a nozzle for spritzing, not unlike perfume. "Just a few sprays will last you a few days."

"Excellent..." Sirius rubbed his chin in thought. "What do you think? Give her a chance to join us or go straight for the bottle?"

Nessie scoffed. "She's a noble brat who's never had to struggle a day in her life, kicking down because of privilege she was born into. She won't likely join willingly, High Courtesan are stubborn, stupid, and arrogant. But I don't suppose there would be harm in trying."

"And if she says no, I want you to be the one to take control of her." Sirius placed a hand on her arm. "Show your dominance. Show them that class means nothing compared to brains and the right tools."

"You know exactly what to say to me..." She chuckled, "Let's have one of those Lime Drinks before we go, or should we celebrate after to a job well done?"

Sirius shrugged. "Why not both? I think we both deserve it, don't you?"

"Lead the way love." Nessie slowly took his hand, gently holding it.

The pair shared their drink, making small talk as they did. Sirius was a very serious man, and didn't exactly open his heart up very much. It sometimes made the insect woman wonder if his love was genuine. Times like this made it seem like it was though.

When they were done, they headed to the bridge. "Pilot, we have new coordinates for you." He glanced over to Nessie.

"Chart a course for LP-5m3, coordinates are 2343, -4432, and 6780." She listed off from memory. "It's a rocky moon, grey and pockmarked."

"Yes, ma'am," the pilot said, plotting the course. It wasn't too long of a wait until they arrived, as it was in the same sector.

"So we're looking for a ship of your people's, hmm?" Sirius rubbed his chin. "And your contact was sure they'd be here?"

"They were, our contact is on the ship. Target is heading to the planet with a few guards to oversee gathering materials, luckily our contact as set up a fake pirate fleet sighting as an excuse to have the Hiveship leave the system for the time being. While she's still on the surface..." Nessiera'tora explained. "That's when we strike.

He smiled at her. "I ever tell you how much I love that big brain of yours?"

"You have. But I always love hearing it." Nessie chuckled as the planet they we're heading to came into view. It was a large red sphere with the occasional line of blue indicated water, but it looked like the land was mostly unfarmable Badland and desert. It had a few moons floating over it, in this case they were searching for the third, which Sylus picked out quickly.

"Put us in orbit around that moon." He turn to the communications officer. "See if you can detect a signal down there. If you do, send them a message of peace. Tell them we need to talk about something vital."

"You don't want to get the drop on them?" She confirmed, nodding to the pilot. "Scan for signals please."

Sirius looked over to Nessie. "What do you think?" he asked, wanting her opinion. These were her people after all. "Approach them amicably, or surprise them?"

"Well. If we contact them before hand that gives them a chance to prepare. We want to meet them on our terms and that is when they aren't expecting it." She argued. "Then we can trying to talk... And if that doesn't work..."

Sirius nodded in understanding and turned back to the communications office. "Belay that order to contact them. And expect a bonus for the suggestion. Have you pinpointed a signal?"

The Pilot nodded, showing the planet map on the holographic projection of the moon. A pulsing light faded in and out.

"Alright, I'm going down myself. Nessie, you're with me." Sirius made an announcement for several of his hunters to head to the shuttle bay, then made his way down there hinself with his lover by his side. "We might want her, but don't hesitate to kill the bitch if things get too hostile."

"Understood." She reached over to a nearby table, picking up two assault rifles to hold in her four longer arms, attaching them to a harness on her chest. She held her twisted metal knife in her small hand as she held the bottle in her other. "Ready when you are dear."

The flight down was a bit bumpy with the thick atmosphere. They landed silently outside of the facility, a Sirius, Nessie, and ten of his strongest.

As they touched down on the cold, grey, and slightly frosted surface of the moon, they looked around to see craters and large jutting porous rock formations that looked like they had been formed by dust blasting against it. They quickly felt some of this wind themselves as a strong wave of air kicked up the icy dust around them, whipping it around before suddenly coming to a stop.

Last edited:

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Looking around quickly for a place to hide they saw what looked to be a structure of Laepaedan design, a justing tower made of our a yellow brown metal that spiralled and twisted up. At the base of it was a more standard two story structure, the roof sloped up against the tower to offer more support. It looked like it had been out of use for a long time... Except for a energy lantern at what appeared at this distance to be the entrance.

"Alright, team." Sirius looked to the others. "Guns at the ready, but hold your fire. They're not expecting us, but that doesn't mean they won't prepare for a fight while we're talking. If things go south, be prepared to shoot your way out. Things should go well, however. One way or another." He grinned at Nessie.

Making their way through the wastes towards the structure took about fifteen minutes to of walking, winds blasting them with dust and semifrozen sand before halting. Thankfully there didn't seem to be much hostile life on this moon, or any life at all, so it wasn't nearly as bad as it could've been, the wind being the only annoyance.

Once they made it to the front they had a better view of the entire structure, the traditional Laepaedan design ran through it, honeycomb designs with hexes marked the outside walls, so much of it had been eroded away. "This base used to be a supply point for the Laepaede from before the AI Wars during their battles with the Quin. Almost all of them were abandoned when the Grand Royal escaped from the homeworld."

"What could possibly be left to scavenge that would need a high ranking Courtesan to watch over, besides the obvious 'nothing, she was sent into a trap'." Sirius looked over his rifle. "We have to be on guard. She might suspect this is a trap if she knows how unpopular she's gotten and could be hostile from the beginning. Be ready for a fight, just... don't make it too obvious you are ready for a fight."

"I doubt it... Nobles always think they're the top of the social world." Nessie quickly found the doors manual lever and pulled it, but was they saw shocked them.

As soon as the door opened they looked into a bleak, dimly lit open space that looked like it had once been a warehouse of some kind, now filled with dozens of skeletons, or the Laepaede equivalent, the carapaces of the dead, their faces and expressions still intact, partly frozen and covered in a thin layer of dust.

They corpses were crowded mostly around a door in the far left hand side of the room, the faces of the husks a permanent mask of fear and panicked dread. Nessie shook her head slowly, "They never came back for these outposts after they ran from the Homeworld..."

Even a man like Sirius Ravenwood looked put off, scoffing angrily. "Of course not. These were probably low ranking individuals. The Royals were saved. Why waste time on them." He looked disgusted, needing a moment to compose himself. He was known for keeping a cool head, but those that worked with him knew he had bouts of furious anger.

"The Oxygen tanks are in that room." Nesse pointed at a sign written in the Laepaede language. "It seems like their Oxygen supply ran out while waiting for supplies that never came."

"This is the kind of thing that won't happen when you're in charge..." The Ravenwood captain scoffed as he stepped inside. "Come on. Let's find that Courtesan..."

Maneuvering past the bodies they followed a trail of prints in the dust and the occasional crushed skeletal limb. It was clear from just this that they had Chevalier, or Laepaedan males with them, who can be quite formidable in battle. However, they were soon able to track the trail all the way around a few corners to an open door, light shining from inside. "They must be in there."

"Nessie, with me. The rest of you hang back. We don't want to spook them." Sirius walked up to the door and peaked inside.

Inside was three large four legged tank like Chevaliers, two watching as one pulled apart a panel on the wall. They were each in armor and well armed with shotguns and assault rifles. Standing between them was a tall, yellow and pink colored Laepaede looking over a holopad. "Hurry up... I don't like it here..."

Sirius glanced at his lover. "Ready to say hello?" he whispered.

"Yeah... Ready when you are." She held her guns at her hip.

Sirius took a deep breath, put on his best business smile, and stepped into the room. "Hello, my dearest Courtesan!"

The Laepaede quickly swerved around and so did her guards, weapons pointed. "Who're you!? Take a step closer and I'll shoot you were you stand!"

"No need to be hostile," Sirius said smoothly, raising his hands. "I'm only here to save your life."

"What the hell are you talking about..." She glanced over to the clearly low born Courtesan next to him.

"Allow us to explain..." Nesse stepped up. "There are some terrible people out to kill you, people that live on your very hiveship. Those people hired a band of mercenaries anonymously, us, to kill you. Lucky for you that we got the contract... We're much more reasonable than most out there who just put your head on a spike and be done with it. I offer a better solution, you can't go back home after all, so why not come with us. Right dear?"

Sirius nodded. "Come with us and you'll be safe. Leave without us, and it is only a matter of time until other bounty hunters come for your head."

She scoffed, "Laepaede turning on each other? My own hive turning on me!? You must think I'm an idiot to believe something like that."

"Why not try calling your ship if you don't believe us..." Nessiera'tora challenged her.

The Laepaede narrowed her eyes, reaching up to her communicator, "Hiveship Rui. Come in. This is Asiara'Rui. Come in."

A mechanical beep was heard through the room, a robotic voice replying, "Connection could not be formed. Out of Range."

"Out of range!? What do you mean!?" She pulled the headset off from her head.

"They abandoned you," Sirius stated. "They won't be coming back. Without us, you can only hope they send another ship to finish you off. On the other hand, they might just leave you to run out of oxygen like your poor, abandoned kinfolk so many decades ago.

"You... Here's what I think... I think you cut communications, I think you want to llurr me away from my guard because you're really the ones trying to kill me." She chuckled nervously.

"Oh dear... We already said that..." Nesse replied, bring quickly stuffed by the High Courtesan.

"Shut it Lowborne! I'm not talking to you. What hive are you from anyway? Members of the proud Hive Rui wouldn't be seen consorting with Humans." She scowled. "Why don't you do your role in society like everyone else instead of doing mercenary work? No Laepaede than ever leaves their Hive to work for hire should be trusted."

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Sirius covered his mouth and whispered, "I guess we have our answer, don't we dear?"

"I guess we do..." Nessie said, two muffled hisses of sound coming from under her wings.

Asiara gripped her weapon, pulling it up to point at the enemy. "I would recommend you leave... I'll count to ten..."

Nessie opened up her wings and after a few moments, the other Laepaede began counting, "Ten... Nine... Eight... Se-"

Her head looked around, noticing her guards lowering their weapons. "What... What are you doing you idiots!? Useless fucking Dodondari Shit! I'll... Do it... Myself..."

Nessiera smiled as the Noble lowered her gun almost without noticing, "What's wrong dear? I thought you were going to shoot us?"

"I... I... Am... I..." Her antennae twitched and almost shook along with her hands. Her mouth hung open slightly revealing her long tongue. Saliva dropped out of her mouth lightly, like a dog looking at a bone. "What... Is... Happening... I..."

"Shhshh... Put your guns on the floor... All of you." Nessie commanded, a commanded which they quickly obeyed, but the Courtesan was still struggling.

"Hmm... Must not be close enough for full control..." The Dark Green Lapaedae shrugged. "I'm having fun though."

Sirius laughed as he cautiously approached Asiara. "So am I. Oh, look how she struggles. How she shakes. In her mind she is questioning what is happening even as she loses her grip on reality. Oh, her face is the best! A mix of confusion, doubt, and fear. And all of this could have been avoided..." He glared at the Courtesan. "...had you not insulted my perfect love."

She trembled as the gun suddenly tumbled to the ground, Nessie approaching behind her. "Don't be so blue... It's only survival of the fittest dear, isn't that what you believe in?"

She suddenly collapsed on her knees, looking up at the 'lowborne' needily, like she was the only thing in the world.

"There. That's a good place for you." Nessie gently caressed her chin. "Like a cute little pet."

Sirius nodded. "Should have known her kind would be too stubborn to come willingly." He looked at her body guards. "What do you suppose we should do with them?"

"They can work with us willingly. I believe they should be treated fairly. They might not be the most intelligent but there's no other race you'd rather have at your back." She walked over to one and gently caressed his massive leg.

Sirius smiled. "I'll take your advice on the matter. You know best. The question is what to do with her. Will you keep her as a pet? She sure seems to want to be one now."

"I think I will. She'll behave and if not we can always just sell her off somewhere. I can think of no better fate than to be treated the same way she's treated everyone around her." Nessiera smirked slyly at Sylus. "You can feel free to use her too my dear. If you're okay with me using her that is."

"Of course." Sirius patted the mind controlled woman's head. "Job well done. We have a new pet, new soldiers, and after destroying this outpost, we can claim we did the job and collect the bounty as well."

"All in all. I'd call this a success." She snapped her fingers, looking at Asiara. "Pet, Stand up."

The Mind Controlled woman nodded quickly, bringing herself to her feet. "Y-Yes... My Lady..."

"I was told the effect was going to be much stronger at first. And while she still won't be able to disobey me she will be much more coordinated over time." Nessie took the woman's hand like a parent watching over a child. "And the longer the exposure the longer they will obey me even without my being and the less I have to reapply it."

"Excellent. Please send my thanks to your supplier. Let's get out of this place." He rounded up the team, who were surprised they didn't have to fire a single shot. Sirius contacted the ship and said, "As soon as we're clear, I want you destroy the outpost we landed near. Incinerate it so there is not a spec of evidence left, understand?"

The pilot replied back, "Roger. Priming Ship to Planet weaponry for use on your go."

The group of bounty hunters boarded their shuttle and took off. As they reached the atmosphere, Sirius gave to order to fire. There was a satisfying sound of the facility exploding, and Sirius smiled at his crew. "Mission accomplished."

"So, what now dear?" Nessie stretched.

"Now we contact our employers and collect the bounty." Sirius leaned close and whispered, "And then we have a little fun with our new pet."

"I like how you think..." Nessie laughed. "Oh a lifetime of forcing the same on others finally come back to bite her, the karma is so sweet..."

BMPixy

ZombieSplitter53 & BMPixy: "Turkey Tetrazzini/Strawberry Daiquiri"
The Golden Wind
The Lounge

As the Golden Wind rocketed through space, a certain holographic bartender stood perfectly still behind the counter. He had been standing there for a half hour, perfectly still, as he ran a weekly scan of all his systems and the few he was linked to. Finding nothing wrong, his eyes finally blinked rhythmically, and he grabbed a rag to wipe down the counter as if nothing was different, like he had never stopped, just as the door slid open and a hulking figure stepped inside.

Chuck paused for a moment, and if they had eyes they would have blinked as they analyzed the situation. Their visual senses told them that behind the counter stood a human child, however their sense of heat told them that nothing was there. The colony’s Azis rumbled as they ‘debated’ this contradiction. Settling on handling things peacefully, the Azisin decided to speak as they entered the lounge further.

“Child,” Chuck began, plodding through the lounge. “You lack a thermal signature. What is the cause of this?” they bluntly ‘asked’ in their trademark tone.

Ash smiled pleasantly. “I am a hologram. A projection of light give physical form into the shape you see now. A semi-sentient computer program. I do not have the thermal signature of a normal human because I lack the complex internal systems that cause humans to give off heat.”

Chuck rumbled as they processed that information. “We were not aware that this vessel had such a luxury accommodation,” they said, settling in front of the counter, feeling out the situation. “What assistance do you provide to this vessel’s functions?”

“Well… I do a number of things. I provide cleaning services, assistance for small things the crew might need help with, help with tasks that might be dangerous for organic lifeforms. Though I suppose you could say my main function is as a bartender and server.”

“If that is so, then we do not understand how it has taken this long for us to come into contact,” Chuck replied. Rumbling affirmatively, they added, “Yes, it is good; our knowledge of alcohols only extends to their use in cooking. Show us your skills.”

“Very well.” Ash looked among the bottles. “Is there… any particular drink you’d like me to prepare?”

“Give us a difficult drink to prepare,” the Azisin replied, analyzing the selection as well, before remembering a drink they had once heard that would fit their criteria. “Strawberry daiquiri.”

“Very well.” Ash quickly got to work gathering ingredients, including a few from the kitchen. Six cups of ice, white sugar, strawberries, lime juice, lemon juice, a lemon-lime soda, and run. He used a blender to combine the ice with half a cup of sugar and about four ounces of the strawberries, blending them to perfection. In a separate container, he mix one part lime juice, two parts soda, four parts lemon juice, and filled it the rest of the way with a healthy supply of rum. Everything was measured by eye, yet seemed to be perfectly proportioned, and not a single drop was spilled despite the speed at which he worked. He combined the two sets of beverages into a mixer and shook it generously, rotating his arms in an almost unnatural way as he did so to blend the drink until nice and smooth. He took out a glass, filled it to the top with about half the beverage, and slid it forward. “Please… enjoy, sir.”

Chuck gingerly took the glass with one of their secondary arms, before dumping its entire contents into their primary mouth in one quick motion. Setting the glass back upon the counter, they analyzed the flavors, Azis breaking apart the complex chemical chains and matching them with prior experiences to come to a conclusion. “Fruity,” they began. “Sweet, yet lime and lemon provide sour contrast. Alcohol has little presence despite quantity, providing the table upon which the rest of the drink rests,” they further explained. “We believe this would be best paired with sour and spicy dishes. We offer thanks for the demonstration; the process is now memorized.”

“That was a very astute observation. And flattering if I am familiar with the manner in which Azisin communicate. Though…” Ash started cleaning up. “I have been told that while my dishes and drinks are perfectly rationed and prepared, they are lacking a certain… heart. A special touch that only a preparer with real emotions and, of all things, flaws can make to make it their own. I believe an old human expression of ‘je ne sais quoi’ applies. But, I do my best.”

“We have not found it to be an issue in our case,” Chuck said in reply, “and we have been told we are as distant from the thoughts of one-minds as a machine.” Stepping around the counter, the Azisin moves into the kitchen. “Food produces emotions in one-minds; emotions do not produce food,” they finish.

“That is… an interesting way of putting it. Thank you.” Putting the blender away, Ash continued, “I have never heard of an Azisin cook before. Or at least I have no record of one in my systems. Am I out of date, or are you unique?”

“To our knowledge, we are the latter.” Stepping into the pantry, the Azisin began to gather ingredients for the next meal. “However, we have also not been in contact with another colony in ninety-three standard years.” Several cloves of garlic, a bag of salt, a bottle of Yenten white wine, a sack of flour, a box of spaghetti, and a can of bread crumbs were the spoils the Azisin returned with, setting them on the counter and moving to the fridge in turn.

“Oh, dear… that is quite a long time.” Ash was silent for a moment as he searched for the right things to ask at this moment, finally asking, “Is it… lonely to not have seen more of your own kind in so long?”

“We are surrounded by our kind,” Chuck answered. “Three hundred and eighty-seven is not a lonely number.” Out of the refrigerator came the last of the carnosaur, already diced and cooked, along with a stockpot of broth and the remainder of the bacon. Next were a small variety of exotic vegetables, as well as cheeses - both cream and regular. These too joined the other ingredients on the counter.

“I suppose that is a very good point.” Ash observed him in silence for a moment before asking, “Do you mind if I watch you cook? And… what are you preparing?”

“Turkey tetrazzini, a human dish,” Chuck began with the second question, filling a pot with water. “And we have no cause to deny observation.” Setting the pot on the stove, they let it start boiling as they moved over to begin preparation proper.

Ash watched in silence, a small smile on his face. To one who was more familiar with V.I. and A.I., they might have found his actions suspicious, as if he was trying to learn something new beyond his base set of actions. He was a skilled observer to boot, always close enough to see what was going on without ever getting in the way.

Thankfully enough, Chuck had little familiarity with such things, and instead focused on their work. As the pot of water boiled, they took forth another pot, setting it on the stove as well. On a medium-high heat, a chunk of butter was melted. Once that was done, in went the garlic and salt to saute, followed a minute later by the addition of the mushrooms. After another minute of the vegetables sizzling in the pan, the Azisin cracked open the Yenten wine, eyeballing out the proper amount into the mixture.

Stepping away to let that mixture reduce, the Azisin returned to the first pot of water, finding it bubbling away heartily. With one hand they reduced the heat slightly, and the other poured the spaghetti into the water, before fanning it out so that it would soften faster. After that, the lid went back on that pot, and Chuck returned to stirring the beginnings of the roux, making sure the mushrooms didn’t burn whilst the liquids reduced. A few minutes of this, and in went a modest sprinkling of flour and the remainder of the carnosaur broth, followed by another few minutes of stirring as the mixture thickened.

It was here that the benefit of four arms that could independently act became evident - the spaghetti was al dente by this point, but the second pot still needed attention. One of Chuck’s primary arms snagged a colander, hoisting up the stockpot and draining the water into the sink all in one motion. Meanwhile, their secondary arms chunked the cream cheese and tossed it into the still-stirred pot to melt. Once it had done so, in went the diced carnosaur, the Urian olives and peas, the mixed cheeses, and finally the bacon bits. As the giant continued to stir the mixture, letting it cook, they took the time to sprinkle in more salt as well as grind a little pepper into the pot. A secondary hand slipped up to set the oven’s temperature, whilst the primary arm dumped the noodles into the pot to join the rest of the food in the constant, steady stirring.

Once everything was properly mixed, Chuck killed the heat, moving the pot over to the counter. Retrieving a large baking dish, they ladled out the contents of the pot into it, before adding a little more broth to preserve the moisture. Finally, Chuck sprinkled a layer of bread crumbs over the top; just in time, as the oven beeped to signal it was at the proper temperature. With one easy motion, the Azisin cracked it open and slid the dish in, setting the time and closing it afterwards.

“After this, it needs cook for one-third of an hour,” the Azisin said, breaking the long silence.

Ash nodded in understanding. “That was quite the sight to behold. I am sure the crew occasionally comes in simply to watch you do your work. Thank you for letting me observe.”

Chuck rumbled in acknowledgment. “We believe we are to say ‘you are welcome’,” the Azisin said. “We suppose we shall see you again in this line of duty.”

Ash nodded. “I do hope so,” he stated, before vanishing from sight.

Dahlexpert

The fallowing is done by Dhalexpert&Frostlitch

A cyborg meets two interesting people

golden wing bar area.

Blisk was sitting on a stool comtiplating why did he join this rag tag group of barley put together mercenaries. “Ugh seriously I’m mostly fine on my own, I gotta reputation plenty of jobs why did I join a group?” He asked himself while downing a drink.

"Why not?" A extremely high pitched voice spoke from his left, sitting a few seats on was a dark skinned girl with long white and pink hair. "Nothing wrong with having people to watch your back.'

“Trust me lady if you did half of things I’ve done by myself, you would also question why you’re here as well.” Blisk said asking for another drink.” But anyway I’m being rude who are you and what do you do on this, piece of crap ship?”

"Rude." She raised a hand up to her chest. "I'm Lady. Weapons specialist. So I'm sure we'll get to know each other well."

“Nice to meet you.” Lady”? I’m sorry but is that like a cover name or something?”

"It's... My real name. I don't know why people think it's fake." She shrugged.

“Because it’s meant to describe a woman. Not be used as a actual name, but whatever. Um my name is Blisk.”

"That's why Charity and Hope aren't real names... Oh wait..." The Woman chuckled. "Anyway. Nice to meet you Blisk."

“Good to be meet lady, if you’re wondering what my job is. My job is bounty hunting, so it’s my job to bring money to this ship.”

"Well. A lot of us have a bounty hunting background. I've done a bit of that myself." Lady pointed out.

“Yeah but most people decided to give me a reputation. Since I always capture a bounty.” Blisk looked a lady slightly confused.” You know, this is usually the part we’re people ask what’s a kotavorg doing here?”

"Were not exactly that kind of people. It'd make us hypocrites if we asked you that." Lady took a sip of her tall drink.

“We’re we? Um lady. God damn that’s your name. Miss what do you mean by that would make us hypocrites. I mean I’ve met humans that asked me that question.”

"It means if I said that to you it would be wrong. After all JJ let us on board." She replied.

“See there it is again, you keep referring to yourself as us. What do you have some inviable friend or something?”

"Well no. She's in my head. She's my head friend." The Woman smiled at him.

Blisk looked at her confused.” Head friend, wh Wait a minute do you haven’t one of those parasites in you?”

She frowned. "They're not parasites. They're people like you and me."

"Um a race of things that only survive by infecting someone elese brain? That sounds very patricide to me, but you seem different, like it's you talking and not it?"

"It is. That thinking is exactly why people hate Yorin. Except that not only do they very rarely ever do that, they usually form a partnership with a host, like what's happened with me." She crossed her arms. "You shouldn't put your stock in stereotypes like that. I didn't act like you were a bloodthirsty lunatic the first time I saw you."

"And I do appreciate that, most race see my kind as these carnivorous savages. That are augmented, but we have moved passed those stereotypes since we make up a good chunk of the army. But your right I haven't given your Yorin friend a shot. So can I talk to her or is that not possible?"

"You can just... She's a little shy... Give me a second okay?" Lady nodded, closing her eyes.

"Ugm alright then, I guess she's changing or she's talking to her guest I suppose." Blisk went back to the bar and downed another one of his drinks."

Lady opened her eyes, blinking as her shoulders shrunk down a little bit. "Um... Hello. My name is Yixx."

"Ok so I take it you’re the Yorin. Good to meet you I’m sure I don't need to tell you my name I’m guessing that you have been listening to me and ladis communication?"

"Of course. Not... In a creepy way I just kinda hear things..." Yixx reassured.

“I could imagine since you share one mind. So how did you end up sharing a mind with Lady?”

"She offered me. She asked me if we could do that... I honestly couldn't believe it though..." Yixx explained.

“She offered... she allowed you into her brain and let you make a home? That is interesting, so then how did you get by before meeting Lady?”

"I uh... Lived with my parents..." She blinked. "Ooooh! You're asking who my partner was before?"

“In a matter of speaking, I wanna know did you have another host before you met Lady.”

"Of course. I had a Tabora. Our race's primary host species. If you haven't seen them they are like big musclely mammals." Yixx described simply.

"I haven't seen much of them, after all while I do travel around the galaxy I don't typically stay in one place for long. It's still amazing that you found a human that willing allowed you to rest in her brain."

"We have a special connection. She's... Very important to me." The Yorin spoke.

“Hum that’s great to hear that you do care about her. Also thanks for putting to rest of me thinking you’re a parasite. Anyway, I’ve been asking you all these questions do you have any for me?”

"Yeah. You're cybernetics seem pretty state of the art, I've made stuff for some of your people before." Yixx unintentionally bragged. "Some people don't really understand that augments are just a fact of life now."

"Yea I know has been for centers, but most races like the Tamarien don't understand that. But my kind have gotten better at augmentations, but you say you worked on my kind before? That's an interesting thing to say was it a repair job or simple augmentation implant?"

"Repaired a Laser device on the wrist as well as simple rewiring. I've wrote up the designs for a few original augments but I never really got to make them..." She explained simply. "One was for a um... Laser fired out of the eye, problem was it could never support a particularly high powered battery with so little room..."

"Yea unless the person has gotten rid of there brain then that wouldn't work. But you could have tried to hook it up to the person’s heart, if there heart is augmented of course. That way the heart wouldn't go through so much stress." Blisk explained.

"I did think of that. I want it to still be covert though." Yixx smiled. "Maybe I'll finish them up and show them to you."

"I would be interested to see how that works for you. But do you have any other questions for me?"

"Where are you from? The Kotavorg home world?" Yixx asked.

"No I... I was not born on my home world. I was born out here on a star ship with military parents, both were Kotavorgs one was a mercenary and the other was a captain they were good parents."

"Lady was born on Earth... Her family is still there... Somewhere... She was taken from her home when she was young." Yixx sighed.

“Wo Wo Wo. So Lady was kidnapped as a child?”

"Yeah... She was taken from her home." Yixx nodded slowly. "Slavers I think..."

“Ou I’m Ugh sorry to hear that. Ugh is it alright for you to mention this and not lady, I’m it is her past after all.”

"I... She says it's okay... I can speak to her right now..." Yixx assured him.

“Well that’s Just weird being able to talk to someone in your head like that. But if she says it’s okay then it’s ok. So she was taken by slavers, how did she escape?”

Her eyes gained back some color, the woman giving a slightly pained smile. "I... Was on a Shinso ship. A bunch of Cartus pirates attacked and killed them all, picking me up..."

“Alright that’s all I need to hear, I recognize that looks. Look if I’m over stepping my boundary’s my apologies.”

"It... I miss my family... But I never had enough money to try to go back to Earth..." Lady looked off to the side. "Maybe someday."

“Be proud at least you have something to modivate you, I’m sure you will make it back to earth. And even without money I’m sure we may pick up a bounty around there, at some point.”

"You're pretty cool Blisk. And more understanding than a lot of people out there." Lady gave slight bow.

“That’s because I understand being taken from your family, and instead of mopping about it I stood up and did something about it.” Blisk arm started twitching out of anger before calming down. “Anyway you’re an interesting person Lady and so is your friend.”

"If you ever need any help with your tech or you just need someone to talk to pay us a visit, we're your girls." She downed her drink quickly, stretching.

“Well Thanks and all that. But you sure you wanna be seen with I’m guessing the oldest person here. Huh seriously everyone I see seem to be in there mid-twenties, and all lively and crap.”

"Maybe we need an old dog to straighten us out." She nudged him.

"I'm not that old, but I am more experience then the lot of you all. Ugh I need to go back to my drinking, listen thanks for the talk Lady and you two Yixx."

"No problem. We're going to go lounge in the Holoroom.. " She chuckled, hopping off the stool.

"Hum what an nice girl, she's very interesting to taking a Yorn like she did. Boy this ship is just filled with all sorts of interesting people."

"Ow fuck!" He heard from a ways behind him, looking back to see Lady holding her foot. "Stubbed my toe... Hehe... Okay bye bye for real now! Shit..."

Blisk turned his head back to the bar and shook his head.” These are my comrades? I feel like I’m gonna need more alcohol for these people.”

ShadowHounder

ZombieSplitter and ShadowHounder: Big Mistake

The air was cold within the storage rooms of the Golden Wind. Each box hid various pieces of equipment or weapons... placed in a reckless formation that made maneuvering inside tricky. This was the perfect location for Yip to grab her target for the day. The lack of functioning light allowed her to hide easily within the large blocks the flooded this portion of the ship. Additionally, her augmented feet made the local less cumbersome for her... as she could simply walk up the metal walls and hide among the support beams. Now all she had to do was wait... wait for her target to enter the room for a daily resupply check. Then... and only then, could she prepare to pounce.

She could hear voices on the other side of the room.

"It's soooooo tedious."

"Well it has to be done. We have people here now and things need to be checked. It is bad enough that it is such a mess back there."

"Tell you what. You do it today, and I'll... do it next week. Promise. No fuss, no complaints."

"Like I believe that." A sigh. "Fine. But you need to do the engineering check." The door opened. "And no cutting corners. You're the captain. Set an example by being efficient."

The door closed again. Only one of the women was inside the room.

Yip moved closer to the woman, hiding behind the many boxes that stood between her and her target. She narrowed her eyes to get a better look at the rebel. She definitely looked like the person in question... but the earlier exchange seemed off. The profile that Yip read said that the leader was a Pon-Taer... which matched the voice of the "captain" more then this woman. Still... Even if this wasn't the right woman... Yip could always try and get the info our of her.

Unfortunately, Yip accidentally knocked over one of the box piles... quickly activating her camouflage and halting her movements all together. With any luck... the woman wouldn't be suspicious enough to look. At least, that's what Yip hoped for.

No such luck. The Tamearin was ever wary now that her crew had expanded. Plus they made frequent stops. No telling what stowaways might have come on board. "Hello?" She started moving towards the back. "Who's there? Come out where I can see you."

Yip slowly backed up towards the wall of the room. She was careful which each of her movements as to avoid making any further noise. Once she had reached the wall, she quickly bolted up and gave herself the high ground in this situation. Even with she could not be seen in the darken support beams... Yip kept her camouflage active while she attempted her reposition herself into advantageous location.

The violet haired woman walked to the very back, looking around and looking puzzled. She scratched her head and sighed as she turned back. "We better not have picked up any rodents..."

Aya turned to find a knife ready to cut her neck open. Having her target right where she wanted them, Yip removed her camouflage and glared at the Tamearin. "I'm looking for the rebel leader known as Alexia. Tell me where she is before I find you are no longer worth keeping alive." The young Cartus demanded as a blade poked out of her cybernetic tail... giving the impression that she wasn't going to give Aya an opening.

Aya remained calm, or at least appeared to. "Alright... Alexia, huh? I think... you have the wrong ship. How did you get on here anyway?"

"That is impossible... the only way I could've breached the wrong ship is if..." Her words made Yip realize what was going on. She chased down the wrong woman in the crowd and in turn... got on a completely different ship from what she was supposed to. Her cheeks turned a bright red shortly before she reactivated camouflage and darted into hiding once more.

Aya rubbed her neck. A small mark but she didn't breach the skin. With a sigh, Aya walked over to one of the containers and started rummaging through it. "Ash, ask the captain to come to storage," she said to seemingly no one. She then looked over to where Yip had run and said, "It is going to be awkward for you to hide in here when we know you're here." She pulled out a pair of thermal goggles and put them on, scanning the room.

Yip let out a long sigh as she laid against on one of the room's support beams. "I don't think that's going to work when I'm up here." She called down to Aya. "I'm not here to harm anyone on your crew... but if I must I will speak with your Captain." After that remark, the Cartus assassin stepped onto the wall closest to her and slowly walked back down to the floor.

"Well, you're a stowaway. Talking to the Captain is the least you can do." Aya rubbed her neck and said, "Though it is at least better then being here as an assassin..."

"Assassin was my original intent." Yip retorted once she touched the ground. "But as you pointed out earlier... I infiltrated the wrong ship."

The door slid open and in walked the Cartus Captain. "I thought we agreed you'd..." She blinked at the new woman. "Hello. Are you a new hire."

Aya cleared her throat. "No, she is an assassin with a bad sense of direction."

Yip inspected the Captain carefully. "I wasn't expecting to see someone else of my kind again. Especially not as the Captain of a ship." The cyberized Cartus placed her dagger back on her belt and extended a hand to the woman before her. "I go by the name of Yip... may I ask yours?"

JJ smiled widely. "Jackie-Jackie Jetstorm!" she said excitedly, taking her hand and shaking it wildly.

"I take it the Tamearin is your second in command..." Yip noted as she sheathed the blade back into her tail.

"That's right." JJ glanced between her and Aya. "So Yip... who were you looking for?"

"A rebel leader... a Pon-Taer by the name of Alexia. I have reason to believe that I mistook your commander as her when I got lost. It is easy to follow the wrong person when you are simply going by the back of their head."

Aya rubbed the back of her head. "I suppose that's fair. So, what are you going to do now?"

"Do you need help?" JJ asked eagerly.

Yip's gazed focused on JJ. "Captain Jetstorm, I like to request that I remain on your ship until I can get in contact with my contractor. Continuing pursuit would be pointless if the job was simply handed off to someone else. My next plan of action may change depending on the outcome."

Jackie-Jackie nodded. "Maybe you could even join my crew."

Aya rolled her eyes. "JJ..."

"What? Is this about the cybernetics?"

"No. Is this about nepotism?"

"Of course not!" JJ leaned close to Yip and whispered, "What is nepolism?"

"Nepotism is a term used for someone with influence or power giving a job to someone within their inner circle." Yip answered. "One example is when a wealthy business man gives his son or daughter a high paying job within their company... even if they may not be qualified. I think she is under belief that our shared species is clouding your judgement. An understandable assumption... seeing what would have likely happened should I failed to notice my mistake."

JJ blinked. "What... would have happened?"

"She probably would have slit my throat for one," Aya muttered.

"As the difference between a Tamaerin and a Pon-Taer is completely personality based... Had I not overheard your conversation prior to the encounter, it would have been very likely that I mistook your second in command for the rebel and killed her without a second thought." Yip explained to JJ bluntly.

"I see, I see. That would have been bad. I kinda like Aya..."

The Tamearin rolled her eyes. "Glad to hear you would have been a bit miffed." She turned to Yip. "Personally, I'd sooner kick such a reckless assassin into an airlock, but since JJ is more generous then me, why don't I show you a room?"

ShadowHounder

ZombieSplitter and ShadowHounder: Big Mistake part 2

"That would be nice." Yip bowed before JJ. "Thank you for your hospitality."

"Yeah, of course. No problem." JJ smiled. "Enjoy your time on board."

"I shall try my best..." The young Cartus girl looked back at Aya. "But with the state of first impressions, I can not guarantee anything."

Aya waved for her to follow. They exited the storage room heading towards the back of the ship. "First time being a Pon-Taer actually saved my life."

Yip blinked twice at Aya's statement. "To be honest, I had not even realized you were Pon Taer. I may need to reeducate myself on the subject..."

"Ah. So your target is a Pon-Taer and you thought I wasn't." Aya looked back. "May I ask what this Alexia did to become your target?"

"She stole a shipment of military grade weapons." The cyber assassin explained. "One of the Generals in this quadrant wanted her dealt with quietly... Which was why I was contacted for the job."

Aya nodded. "After that is dealt with, why not come work for us?"

"If it turns out that I have already been replaced... Then I see no reason not to join your crew." Yip continued following Aya as she talked about the offer. "Your captain seems nice enough... Not sure how much she knows, but I'm sure she has at least one contact within the slave rescue units. Unfortunately... Should I need to embark to continue this mission... There will be no guarantee that I will see this ship again."

"She did seem awfully familiar and friendly with you, even for her," Aya stated. "Maybe she does know something about you. Wants you on for more reason then being a Cartus." She stooped at the crew quarters. "Not a big fan of cybernetics... but something tells me all of yours weren't voluntary."

"Consider where I was raised... I wasn't expecting to have a choice regardless." The assassin remarked with a depressed look.

Aya frowned herself, having an idea what that meant. She opened the door to one of the quarters. "Go on, check it out. It should be nice and roomy."

Aya nodded. "I'll do so right away."

I'll be sure to give your Captain an update once I get word sent out about my predicament." Yip assured the Tamaerin.

"Thank you." Aya smiled despite the poornfirst impressions and asked, "Is there anything else that you need?"

"Just some time and a small nap." The cyborg yawned as she answered. "Proper sleep patterns are hard to come by in space."

"Ain't that the truth..." Aya bowed her head. "Please enjoy your time as our guest."

Yup nodded, wincing when her tail began to move sluggishly. "It appears I've been sloppy about maintenance. I'll need to find some oil after I've rested."

"I'll make sure you get what you need," Aya assured her. "First impressions aside, I look forward to getting to know you with what time we have with you on board. I am sure the captain feels the same."

"I'll see you in the near future..."

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Dahlexpert & ZombieSplitter53
Butting Heads a Little More

It was midafternoon hours on board the Golden Wind. Aya and JJ were hard at work taking inventory of everything in the cargo hold, making sure everything was accounted for. It was a lengthy process, and for the captain, a very boring one.

However at the far side of the cargo hold the pair could hear mumbling, a possible stowaway? The pair snuck to the side of the room and saw Blisk going over a few weapons of his own. One being a machine gun, a shotgun, a gernadelauncher and a knife? The pair could hear also hear Blisk humming to himself.

JJ cleared her throat in order to make him aware of them without startling him. "Hello, Mr. Blisk."

Blisk didn’t turn around.” Captain shocking to hear your voice down here. Is that pain in the ass friend with you?”

Aya folded her arms. "I am. Sounds like you're as unpleasant as usual."

“And you’re still a full of her own crap Tamarin, who think she’s better then everyone.” Blisk said loading a shotgun.

JJ held up her hands. "Please, please. No fighting. What... what are you doing, Mr. Blisk? Are all these weapons yours?"

“Yes they are, I’ve been doing this for a very long time. I’m great with whatever weapon you give me, but I prefer weapons with some stomping power you know.” He said loading a machine gun.

"It is quite the collection," Aya admitted. "Though it does makes me wonder where you got all this stuff."

“Form the mind you’re business part of the galaxy, and I’ve been killing and murdering since you were in elementary school. You make contacts after a while, and those contacts figure out your reliable and take you to people that can make you customized weapons.”

"And are you proficient in all of these weapons?" JJ asked, picking up a hand laser and examining it carefully.

“You’re gonna wanna be careful with that JJ, my kinds weapons are well. Let’s just say my race has there own weapons for a reason, and if you’re not augmented I hope you enjoy relocating your shoulder.”

JJ grimaced and slowly put the weapon back down. Aya scoffed. "Great. So if we're in a jam, we can't even use these weapons. What a wonderful design..."

“Ou well let me be more blunt. People with a,”natural body”. Can’t use these weapons, augmented people can use them. But it will still have the kick of a normal weapon for those that are augmented, there is that better for you?”

JJ tried to stop her, but Aya stomped forward and said, "Do you have a problem with me? Because we can settle it right now!"

“Ou it’s not just you it’s your whole fucking species! You Tamarin are so fucking arrogant, Ou Look at us and our psi powers were so superior. You look down on my race for being augmented with out knowing our culture our history, no you just wanna pass us as cybernetic freaks. Witch to my kind is the greatest of insults!”

"Oh, like you're so much better!" Aya snapped back. "You look down on my people as weak and inferior. Just because we aren't augmented means we are weaklings. Just because we don't alter our bodies, we must be stupid. You are just as quick to judge, so get off your high horse!"

Blisk And Aya Look like about to throw punch, but Blisk took a deep breath and grabbed a chair.” You know what I remember What JJ said, this is a rare opportunity. Fine you two get to ask me a question and in return I will ask you both a question sounds good?”

Aya blinked in surprise. JJ quickly clapped her hands together and grabbed two more chairs. "I think that is an excellent idea. She sat in one chair and pushed Aya down into the other one. "How about this question. What was your very first augmentation, and why did you get it?"

Blisk pointed at his eyes.” My eyes were my first augmentation. I got them when I was nine years old. I got the because I wanted to go to military school, and If dust rain or any of the elements got in my eyes it wouldn’t slowl me down.”

"I see. That is understandable." JJ bowed her head. "Now you may ask us a question."

“Alright then might as well ask this, what was your first bounty?”

Aya folded her arms. "Small time criminal named Juice. Evaded capture for a high profile robbery from the GFP for six months. It took us six days to find where he was hidding, some warehouse on a backwater planet not faf from here. JJ was the distraction out front while I went in the back and took his men out one at a time."

JJ nodded. "Aya can be very stealthy, and I'm pretty darn good at keeping people's attention."

“Ou yea I can definitely see you as a distraction, I mean they were probably mesmerized by your looks.”

JJ giggled. "Thank you."

Aya rolled her eyes. She leaned forward and asked, "What about you? I bet your first bounty was a breeze, tricked out as you are..."

Blisk whole experiencetion changer, he was angry when he was yelling at Aya. But he had the look of a man possessed by anger.” No the only augmentation I had was my eyes, during my first bounty.”

Aya frowned. "Alright, alright. No need to get so fussy. Tell us about it."

“In order to feel the weight of my first bounty, I need to go over my childhood. Are you sure you still wanna hear about it.” Blisk said while keeping the look of a madman.

The pair of women cautiously nodded.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Blisk took a deep breath and sighed.” Alright then first I was not born on my home world, and if I was I was young enough to not consider it home. No I was born a cruiser class GFP star ship. My father was a mercenary and my mother was a captain, Both were Kotavorgs. At age nine my father gave me a choice to stay in school or to be transferred into military school.” Blisk pointed to his eyes. “Guess I already told you what I choose.”

The pair nodded, listening intently.

“Hum. For seven years I went through the most difficult training of my life. Drills weapons training, formations I was a born leader.” Blisk grabbed part of the metal chair and crushed it in his hand.” The in one fell swoop it was all taken from me, the impossible happen. Pirates attacked my home several pirate ships, it was the first time I was in real combat killing so many pirates trying to find my family. And when I found them they hugged me and put me into the captains personal escape pod and I landed on a nearby planet.”

Aya blinked and frowned sadly. "What... happened to your parents?"

“The fuck do you think happened? What you think some happy ending is in this? No the piratess blew up the ship and watched as my home burned into the atmosphere, and crashed into the ocean and exploded. I wish that was it, but nope enough people got out on escape pods that the pirates went to the planet and rounded us all up. I managed to kill two of them and head butted the captain, that didn’t get me far. The captain liked my spunk and took me in and made me watch as he executed the people that escaped him.”

JJ looked down to the floor. "That's... horrible. I'm so sorry."

"Ou don't be this story has a happy ending. For two years I was a pirate raiding & pillaging colones until we captured a pirate hunter, he saw me and made me a deal he asked me to help him kill the pirate captain that killed my family. So I let him go and slit the pirate captains throat and sabotaged the escape pods, and set the ship to self destruct. So that's the story of my child hood and my first bounty."

Aya nodded, and gave him a small smile. "I... I am glad you got revenge for your parents."

"Yea you could say that, it's not what I wanted to do to the bastard. If I had the time I would had made him suffer more then just slit his throat. It also says that I wasn't always augmented."

Aya nodded. "Listen... I didn't... set out to make you an enemy. I am sorry for what you've gone through. I... never even knew my parents, but I can imagine what terrible pain you went through losing yours."

"Aya my race gets augmented not just for the sake of it, we get augmented to improve ourselves. The Kotavorge that is seen through out the galaxy are our worriers, it's a very sack ride thing to us. I got my augmentations to make sure what happen to me doesn't happen to others, now I may enjoy capturing my targets just so I can give them a good beating. But that's why i'm augmented."

"We understand," JJ stated. "Aya doesn't have anything against you personally. It is just something ingrained in her culture. A belief that is hard to break away from."

Aya chuckled nervously. "You'd think it would be easier considering I'm something of an outcast from my people."

“Why not we’re that outcast matto with pride, yea you’re an outcast so what. To the rest of the galaxy a Tamarin with emotions might be better plesent to talk to.”

Aya wiped a hair away from her eyes. "Thanks. Look... I can't make any promises. But I'll try and lay off about the mods you have. But you need to remember that not all Tamearins are full of themselves. I know I'm not. Or at least I try not to be."

"As long as you don't give me the typical looking down on me because in your eyes i'm tainted. Were fine but for most of your race, I will tolerate to a point. That's about as good as your gonna get, instead of me wanting to punch them immediately I will ignore there words."

JJ smiled widely. "Does this mean you're not going to argue and fight anymore?"

"Oh no, we're still going to argue." Aya laughed. "I understand him more now, but he is still kinda an asshole."

"It comes with age, you stop caring what people think about you. And when you see so much of the galaxy as I have you stop listening to people younger then you. So we may argue here and there and you don't have to worry about us punching a hole in the ship."

Aya nodded in agreement. JJ sighed and shrugged her shoulders. "I'll take it I guess." As she and Aya stood up, JJ asked, "While we're here, is there anything we can help you with?"

"Um well there is this one thing." Blisk pulled out a data pad. "There's this bounty out in the beta sector, little colony called tip tree. A patently there's a drug smuggler called zazks down there, apparently he's been a pain to the colony for a few years now. I would recommend sending me and Aya down there, as a team building experiment. And he's worth about forth thousand alive and twenty thousand dead."

Aya blinked in surprise. "You and me? Oh, I don't know if..."

"That sounds like a splendid idea!" JJ patted Aya on the back. "I'll go have the course set in, and see if there are any jobs along the way."

The captain exited, and Aya narrowed her eyes. "You're not plotting something, are you?"

"On my planet we have a way of making people that don't like each other work together. They go on a hunt together, they hunt a beast on our planet and there they kill the beast together, they kill each other or the beast get's a easy meal. So that's what were doing, when we do this job that is what will happen to us."

Aya slowly nodded. "Alright... I'm game. Just as long as I can trust you to watch my back."

"Ah that's the fun part isn't, I could kill you while were all alone or we might be better together. Who knows, but the main part of this is so you and I can make some money for us."

The Tamearin raised an eyebrow. "Just so you know, I won't go down very easily." She turned and walked towards the exit. "It'll take us some time to get there. I'll study up on the target on the way."

"You do that." Blisk said while going back to his weapons and loading them.

Dahlexpert

The fallowing is done by Dhalexpert&Zombiesplitter53

Were not so different

Golden wing
Blisk room

On the far side of the room layer Blisk arsenal of weapons. A shotgun, a light machinegun a grenade launcher, and an automatic rifle. All polished and clean to make sure they stay in working condition. However Blisk looked to be lost in thought while sharpening his two knives.

There was a chime from the door, someone requesting to come in.

Blisk was still lost in thought until he heard the sound again. He put his knife into there holsters and opened the door.” Hello? Aya, what are you doing here? We’re JJ?”

"JJ should be on the bridge right now," Aya answered. "I'm here because I was doing inventory and I noticed your weapons were missing."

“Yeah I felt like cleaning these old weapons, taking them apart and putting them back together. Making sure that they haven’t gotten to beaten up over the years.”

Aya sighed. "You need to sign them out of the computer before taking them, Blisk."

“Aya you are aware that these are my weapons? And if anyone tries to use them, we migh need to find a doctor sooner than later.”

Aya ran a hand through her hair. "These are your weapons. And you are free to check them out whenever you want. But if you don't tell the computer you're checking them out, I end up coming to bother you. And I know you hate that."

“Hum Fine I’ll be sure to do that. Huh well since I got you here, would you like to hear more about my race or me?”
Aya almost gave him a flat no, but reminded herself that JJ wanted her to get along with him. She took a deep breath and nodded, stepping inside. "Tell me... more about your people. And why they augment themselves so much."

“Ou that’s a perfect subject, and I can tell you more about myself as well.” Blisk invited Aya into his room and grabbed her a chair. “So tell me Aya what do you know about my kind?”

"Not... a whole lot," Aya admitted. "I know augmentation is a source of pride for your people. And... I believe you were enslaved at some point, mich like my people were."

“Indeed the race that uplifted us saw a race that are amazing hunters, so they decided uplift us and change us. We were admittedly no better than animals in those days, so they decided to increase our intelligence.”

"Interesting." Aya sat down and crossed her legs. "That sounds a lot like our history."

“There’s one difference when we rebelled we took their world as our new home. And once we learned how to pilot there star ships, we chased them to all of their worlds. And they learned, that the savage mindset we had was there down fall. They couldn’t kill us. Starving us bombing us nuked from orbit they couldn’t kill us permitly.”

"Did you end up wiping them out like we did our captors?" Aya asked neutrally.

“Yep.” Blisk said with some glee in his voice.” Once they were whipped out we decided to keep the augmentation. Because without those my race would not exist today, however some wanted to go back to the home world and repopulate it. That’s why augmentation are so important to us, without them my kind would not exist.”

"Hmm..." Aya rubbed her chin. "An interesting divergence. Or histories are so alike, and yet where you embraced your changes, we rejected them."

“That we did now let me get to how I got these.” Blisk pointed to his own augmentation.” Tell me have you heard of clan angrond or karzakaran?”

Aya shook her head. "I'm afraid not."

“I’m not surprised how do I put this. Much like your race every Tamarin has a different ability. Same goes for us. The Kotavorg in the GFP are with Kazakhstan. There clan is all about the military, and there augmentation represent that. They are ether living weapons or amazing leaders dedicated to their men and the galaxy as a hole.”

"And what clan are you a part of?" Aya asked.

“Clan Angrond, the live on the ancient home world. How we get our augmentation is one of humbling a person.”

"Humbling a person." Aya leaned forward. "What do you mean?"

“When I was eighteen and with the pirate hunters, I had a mini gun augmentation. I laid waste to those pirates, but then I got a call from my grandparents asking me to come home. I was excited I had family still alive, so I went to the ancient home world and saw them. They were not pleased with me.”

Aya frowned, looking surprised. "Why not?"

“Here stood there grandson the last survivor of that pirate attack, and here he stands. With a overweight augmentation angry bitterness and bloodlust in his eyes. This was not there grandson not a Kotavorg but a rabid dog who didn’t care if he lived.”

Aya lowered her eyes. "I see. I'm... sorry. Surely they must have realized how much you went through though."

“They did and that was not an excuse for them. I’m a Kotavorg we don’t sulk or let our emotions get us down, to them I should have taken what happened to me and used it as modivation and come back stronger.”

Aya nodded. She had never realized they were such a proud race, not unlike her own. "So what happened next?"

“They feed me loved me, and then sent me on my first hunt alone. This is when I realized that getting an aug bigger then what you need is dangerous.”

"Did you get hurt?" Aya asked.

“That’s the understatements of the century, what I was hunting was a Goliath. I had no idea what that was, so I went into the jungles of my home killed a bunch of small and big game but none was my target. After a day and I was deep in the jungle I felt it. Its heart beat ringing throughout the darkness the stink of its breath filled the air. When I turnaround I saw two red eyes bigger than me, and when it stood up I was easily twenty feet.” Blisk arms started to shake out of fear.

Aya, enthralled with the story, leaned forward some more. "What did you do?"

“I fired my mini gin at it, I might as well have been firing rocks. And with one slash of its claws it scared me, it misses it’s attack but the tip of its claws nailed my side and flung me like a toy. When I looked down and saw my own ribs and lung, it then picked me back up ready to eat me. I fired my gun into its eye blinking it. And ran to the nearest outpost.”

Aya blinked, slowly leaning back again. "Sounds like you're lucky to be alive."

“Yeah tell that to my grandparents. See we Kotavorg have a saying, when you see our backs it will only be when we’re dead. So imagine me running to an outpost alive, injured and scared out of his mind. To my grandparents it would have been better if I had died then to come back as a coward.”

"That's terrible... what did you do then?"

“For months I stood in my grandparents’ home, sulking while the beast was still around eating getting stronger. I saw it in my dreams every night for three months, then one night I saw my parents. Ashamed at their own son and how far I had fallen, that day I finally decided to get rid of my augmentation and get new arms.”

Aya smiled slyly. "Something more practical then a big ass gun I would hope."

"Yea, eventually I went after it again and it got bigger. Spikes on its back and now breathing fire. I fought the beast with the guns I was given and I still couldn't kill it but I did cause it to retreat, a small victory but a victory non the less. I finally decided to augment my legs but I never found that damn Goliath again, it got away from me. But I started to change, that beast had become my awaking, I finally stopped filling pity for myself and decided to get stronger. after four years of hunting I participated in a long honored tradition of clan Angrund. It is simply called the right, I must hunt various monster on my world and bring them back to it's meant to last a few months. I lasted for four."

"Wow." Aya smiled. "I'm guessing you passed the Right?"

"Ou yea I passe alright, I have killed so many monsters and I eventually found that Goliath again it has grown into a giant scars all over it's body from many hunters failing to kill it. I found that monster and it remembered me, that bastuared nearly got me again. But I had gotten better I knew it's weaknesses and killed hundreds of monster before meeting that beast, when I came back home with that beast my grandparents were so proud of me. They were proud I've come so far. That's what every augmentation on me represents, they represent my failure and the resolve I had to come back from each hunt better and stronger then ever."

20823568_evolve_introcinematic_ign-1420744729562.jpg