Starstream Think Tank

Taxor_the_First

My copy of FF7R has been shipped early. That makes me happy. It is too bad that a lot of people who have got it early, especially those in Australia, think it is okay to ruin things for the rest of us by streaming the game early. I'm sorry, but if you try and stream a game before it has actually reached its release date, regardless of how you got the game, I have no sympathy for you when your channel is taken down.
People are doing what.

Assholes. I've found it incredibly disappointing to go from the generosity and goodwill of the bushfires to the selfishness my country's exhibited of this pandemic. State's talking about a lockdown? Time to go to Bondi Beach, where people are super clustered and it's perfect breeding grounds for a virus! Also time to go pack a van full of toilet paper to hoard, maybe sell on the black market for some hyper profit. Of course, nowhere to spend that money right now because all non-essential services are shut down, what the hell is that crap? It's not like I'm sick, I should be able to live life as normal!

Absolute selfishness. Fuckwits.

That said, content producers on YouTube and Twitch have always had "cowboys", as my father would describe it. YouTube recommended a video of how to beat the final boss of Doom Eternal to me... half a week before the game came out. I didn't realise until then just how thirsty people seem to be for views and likes. Likely as not, that's what's happened here: it's not thinking that everyone has it by now so it's fine, it's knowing that everyone doesn't and trying to take advantage of that.

ShadowHounder

People are doing what.

Assholes. I've found it incredibly disappointing to go from the generosity and goodwill of the bushfires to the selfishness my country's exhibited of this pandemic. State's talking about a lockdown? Time to go to Bondi Beach, where people are super clustered and it's perfect breeding grounds for a virus! Also time to go pack a van full of toilet paper to hoard, maybe sell on the black market for some hyper profit. Of course, nowhere to spend that money right now because all non-essential services are shut down, what the hell is that crap? It's not like I'm sick, I should be able to live life as normal!

That said, content producers on YouTube and Twitch have always had "cowboys", as my father would describe it. YouTube recommended a video of how to beat the final boss of Doom Eternal to me... half a week before the game came out. I didn't realise until then just how thirsty people seem to be for views and likes. Likely as not, that's what's happened here: it's not thinking that everyone has it by now so it's fine, it's knowing that everyone doesn't and trying to take advantage of that.

Remind me again why you choose to live there?

ShadowHounder

also, you have to remember that certain channels *have* to have games early if they have any hopes of thriving... It is very possible one of those channels simply got their dates messed up and posted too early. Others like are trying to get slight push to the point where they can start monetizing videos or need to triple their workload because they can't monetize videos due to copywrite or other guideline issues.

I find it equally as selfish and arrogant to actively scold these youtuber without knowing the context of the reasoning behind their actions.

Taxor_the_First

also, you have to remember that certain channels *have* to have games early if they have any hopes of thriving... It is very possible one of those channels simply got their dates messed up and posted too early. Others like are trying to get slight push to the point where they can start monetizing videos or need to triple their workload because they can't monetize videos due to copywrite or other guideline issues.

I find it equally as selfish and arrogant to actively scold these youtuber without knowing the context of the reasoning behind their actions.
I don't think I can be blamed for making a judgement based on what I know, not what I don't know. And when the thumbnail includes an image of something spoilery - the final boss itself, in my example - I lose any sympathy I might have had for a channel that pretty consistently does clickbait-tier content. Seeing the thumbnail can't be avoided thanks to algorithms shoving it in my face days before it's relevant or I would even want to see such a walkthrough, while actually viewing the video can. Keep your spoilers for the content, don't just ruin it for anyone that happens to come across the thumbnail or title. Certainly not before the game is even out yet. Day 1 post? Sure. Day -5 post? Fuck off.

Getting slightly off track, but my point remains: from the perspective I have, that's my judgement. I'm not going to take something I can't possibly know into consideration, and to make up for that I'm going to consider the relevant history and infer the purpose and intent from that. My stance remains. I don't think that's arrogant.

ShadowHounder

I don't think I can be blamed for making a judgement based on what I know, not what I don't know. And when the thumbnail includes an image of something spoilery - the final boss itself, in my example - I lose any sympathy I might have had for a channel that pretty consistently does clickbait-tier content. Seeing the thumbnail can't be avoided thanks to algorithms shoving it in my face days before it's relevant or I would even want to see such a walkthrough, while actually viewing the video can. Keep your spoilers for the content, don't just ruin it for anyone that happens to come across the thumbnail or title. Certainly not before the game is even out yet. Day 1 post? Sure. Day -5 post? Fuck off.

Getting slightly off track, but my point remains: from the perspective I have, that's my judgement. I'm not going to take something I can't possibly know into consideration, and to make up for that I'm going to consider the relevant history and infer the purpose and intent from that. My stance remains. I don't think that's arrogant.
I guess I can see your point... it's just with how shitty the algorithm still is, a lot of people think that clickbait (usually not as bad as what you described) is the only way to get views and channel growth. I even watch a poketuber (Locksten) who constantly makes jokes about it to remind everyone how much he has to consider when posting a video and the career isn't as easy (or laidback) as everyone claims it to be

Taxor_the_First

I guess I can see your point... it's just with how shitty the algorithm still is, a lot of people think that clickbait (usually not as bad as what you described) is the only way to get views and channel growth. I even watch a poketuber (Locksten) who constantly makes jokes about it to remind everyone how much he has to consider when posting a video and the career isn't as easy (or laidback) as everyone claims it to be
The problem is they're right, and it sucks. It's sensible from their point of view to pander to the algorithm, since that's the be all and end all of their distribution, and it's a shame that that cuts into content that might otherwise be fairly respectful or quality. I doubt that'll change, sadly. YouTube has little incentive to prioritise such a thing, and companies tend to be... sluggish when income isn't directly concerned. Again, sensible from their point of view. Don't mess with what isn't broken, etc. Shame it results in this kind of situation though.

ShadowHounder

The problem is they're right, and it sucks. It's sensible from their point of view to pander to the algorithm, since that's the be all and end all of their distribution, and it's a shame that that cuts into content that might otherwise be fairly respectful or quality. I doubt that'll change, sadly. YouTube has little incentive to prioritise such a thing, and companies tend to be... sluggish when income isn't directly concerned. Again, sensible from their point of view. Don't mess with what isn't broken, etc. Shame it results in this kind of situation though.
I would recommend watching Locksten when you get the chance. He does a lot of content using Pokemon to teach science and other facts of the world (he also dives a lot into mythology when doing videos talking about the inspirations of pokemon)

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member

I agree that some people likely can claim ignorance. And I don't blame them. But there are plenty of people who actively know the release date and know that Square Enix specifically asked, practically pleaded with them, to not post anything early. I'm sorry, but if you know that and you know how much people are looking forward to a spoiler free experience and still post? Fuck you.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
...also, how is everyone today? :) Anyone eager to play Resident Evil 3 Remake. You know, despite the... less then stellar reviews it's been getting...:(

Dahlexpert

I’m guessing shadow of war if so great, I hope you enjoy the game and unlike the last one if you think it’s too easy just increase the difficulty.