Starstream Think Tank

Taxor_the_First

Painfully, it’s really weird going to a arcade like shooter.
It's an adjustment compared to a lot of other shooters, agreed. It's an adjustment even compared to Doom 2016. In that game, I could play on Nightmare and fairly consistently clear levels. I got as far as Lazarus Labs before failing my last attempt at Ultra Nightmare, which means I beat Kadinigir. Fucking Kadingir. Considered easily the hardest level of 2016, and for good reason.

Then going to Eternal, I thought picking up Nightmare would be good again. Had to kick it down to Ultra Violence midway through because it was actually too hard for me. Now that I've learned how to use the new tools, I'm playing Nightmare again. It's going fine... aside from the Marauder. Fuck Marauders.

Also HB Insane.

ShadowHounder

It's an adjustment compared to a lot of other shooters, agreed. It's an adjustment even compared to Doom 2016. In that game, I could play on Nightmare and fairly consistently clear levels. I got as far as Lazarus Labs before failing my last attempt at Ultra Nightmare, which means I beat Kadinigir. Fucking Kadingir. Considered easily the hardest level of 2016, and for good reason.

Then going to Eternal, I thought picking up Nightmare would be good again. Had to kick it down to Ultra Violence midway through because it was actually too hard for me. Now that I've learned how to use the new tools, I'm playing Nightmare again. It's going fine... aside from the Marauder. Fuck Marauders.

Also HB Insane.
That and not being able to aim down your sight messes with a lot of fps veterans.

Taxor_the_First

That and not being able to aim down your sight messes with a lot of fps veterans.
That's true, I hadn't thought about that. Also the fact that it rewards - and basically requires - aggressive gameplay, where a lot of other shooters demand that you hide when you take damage. That's part of its charm, the fact that it takes a lot of conventions and tells them to shove off. Less so Eternal than 2016, but Eternal does hammer in the quirks it stuck with. I think that's why it's "harder" than its predecessor.

ShadowHounder

That's true, I hadn't thought about that. Also the fact that it rewards - and basically requires - aggressive gameplay, where a lot of other shooters demand that you hide when you take damage. That's part of its charm, the fact that it takes a lot of conventions and tells them to shove off. Less so Eternal than 2016, but Eternal does hammer in the quirks it stuck with. I think that's why it's "harder" than its predecessor.
Eternal is faster than 2016 from what I heard

Taxor_the_First

Eternal is faster than 2016 from what I heard
You'd have heard right. They gave Doomguy a dash and then went "now how do we make the game stay challenging... Ah, I know, we'll require more movement, crank up the speed of the gameplay". That's all well and good... Until you start to play the game a second time through and have to endure the entire first level WITHOUT the dash.

Fuck Arachnotrons.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
My copy of FF7R has been shipped early. That makes me happy. It is too bad that a lot of people who have got it early, especially those in Australia, think it is okay to ruin things for the rest of us by streaming the game early. I'm sorry, but if you try and stream a game before it has actually reached its release date, regardless of how you got the game, I have no sympathy for you when your channel is taken down.