Greetings everyone. How's it going?

Mar 7, 2015
California, U.S.A.
Hello everybody. My name is Mangrale. I first found this place through Christopher Odd's old XCOM roleplay seasons. And even though those doors are closed to me forever, I still have a story or two to share with those who have a minute to spare. Aside from that, I'm not sure what much else I have to offer this rather talented community other than the occasional, crudely-made anagram.

Well that's all I can think of for now as an introduction. I haven't done anything quite like this before. So if I, at anytime, give the impression that I'm lost or confused about something, chances are very good that I am.

It's fantastic to meet you all! I hope everyone is having a great time here. If there is anything I can do to amplify your experience, don't hesitate to tell me...

...and I'll consider it. Probably. Eventually.

Have a great day, guys!

Mar 7, 2015
California, U.S.A.
I wasn't all that sure where to post this, either at the think tank or here. But since it pertains to a possible future project for myself I thought it appropriate for now. But if yet more details are requested for the think tank, I can accommodate.

My current project, Minecraft - Fatherhood, was always intended to be a fairly short anecdote (although I find that I've drifted into random flights of fancy more often than was necessary, "retell events normally" my butt), something to test the waters, so to speak. And now it is winding down to its conclusion.

I could begin a nearly completely original story and indeed I may at some point. But I believe that I'm more leaning towards an alternate universe storyline for the XCOM Enemy series.

Ever since I first saw the first roleplay series', I have always been contemplating (daydreaming) what kind of characters and stories I would've made. But the wars past me by. I'm coming to terms with it but it's still a bummer. On the other hand, I took a peek at the rules for the third season and found that none of my ideas would've had the slightest chance of being accepted. Ultimately, for me to feel comfortable storytelling, I need to be free to indulge my crippling addiction to making up crazy, off the wall crap whenever I so wish. I believe this project can do that for me. I intend it to be the sort of story I would like to tell.

This project, which I'll call "XCOM Advent" for now, will address the aftermath of the war including but not limited to:
-the post-war climate and rebuilding process
-the differing factions all vying for control over humanity's future (XCOM, EXALT's remnants, the shrinking and disjointed alien presence on the planet, and even other groups of my own origination.)
-attempts at merging some the XCOM lore (even Declassified) with my own made up ideas

Basically it's a sort of a "what if" scenario centered after the events of a run of XCOM Enemy Within. I think it will be best for me to leave the other undoubtedly fantastic roleplays and roleplay related materials well enough alone. Don't want to build my slums atop the memorial of great soldiers, cheapening their legacy.

Unfortunately, confessedly speaking, I don't have nor do I foresee myself having the lifespan required to read through all of SoD, let alone all the stories archived here. A travesty to be sure (sincerely, I'm sorry). Of course I'd rather not step on any already established storyline elements. So, I'd like to inquire as to whether or not this project of mine is unique enough to at least warrant a place in the short story section. Is more information required at the think tank? I eavesdropped enough to know that there will be an extended break throughout the summer before another XCOM roleplay is even considered. Would anyone at all like me to hold off on this project until the next brainstorming session so some of its ideas can be implemented in a roleplay for all? I see that a lot of the roleplays here center around characters and their interaction with each other (no duh). I'm talking about the the missions and the soldiers' interacting in between. Is there yet more involved in the way of narration regarding "world building" (may be "lost or confused" remember). I'm curious as to which may be the best format for this particular project.

In the end, with "XCOM Advent", I want to ponder the question," Can mankind (not just XCOM) do more than survive the aftermath, but ascend to that next stage?

If you have any concerns at all, pass them by me and I will get back to you somehow.

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member
Dec 9, 2013
New York, USA
I wasn't all that sure where to post this, either at the think tank or here. But since it pertains to a possible future project for myself I thought it appropriate for now. But if yet more details are requested for the think tank, I can accommodate.

My current project, Minecraft - Fatherhood, was always intended to be a fairly short anecdote (although I find that I've drifted into random flights of fancy more often than was necessary, "retell events normally" my butt), something to test the waters, so to speak. And now it is winding down to its conclusion.

I could begin a nearly completely original story and indeed I may at some point. But I believe that I'm more leaning towards an alternate universe storyline for the XCOM Enemy series.

Ever since I first saw the first roleplay series', I have always been contemplating (daydreaming) what kind of characters and stories I would've made. But the wars past me by. I'm coming to terms with it but it's still a bummer. On the other hand, I took a peek at the rules for the third season and found that none of my ideas would've had the slightest chance of being accepted. Ultimately, for me to feel comfortable storytelling, I need to be free to indulge my crippling addiction to making up crazy, off the wall crap whenever I so wish. I believe this project can do that for me. I intend it to be the sort of story I would like to tell.

This project, which I'll call "XCOM Advent" for now, will address the aftermath of the war including but not limited to:
-the post-war climate and rebuilding process
-the differing factions all vying for control over humanity's future (XCOM, EXALT's remnants, the shrinking and disjointed alien presence on the planet, and even other groups of my own origination.)
-attempts at merging some the XCOM lore (even Declassified) with my own made up ideas

Basically it's a sort of a "what if" scenario centered after the events of a run of XCOM Enemy Within. I think it will be best for me to leave the other undoubtedly fantastic roleplays and roleplay related materials well enough alone. Don't want to build my slums atop the memorial of great soldiers, cheapening their legacy.

Unfortunately, confessedly speaking, I don't have nor do I foresee myself having the lifespan required to read through all of SoD, let alone all the stories archived here. A travesty to be sure (sincerely, I'm sorry). Of course I'd rather not step on any already established storyline elements. So, I'd like to inquire as to whether or not this project of mine is unique enough to at least warrant a place in the short story section. Is more information required at the think tank? I eavesdropped enough to know that there will be an extended break throughout the summer before another XCOM roleplay is even considered. Would anyone at all like me to hold off on this project until the next brainstorming session so some of its ideas can be implemented in a roleplay for all? I see that a lot of the roleplays here center around characters and their interaction with each other (no duh). I'm talking about the the missions and the soldiers' interacting in between. Is there yet more involved in the way of narration regarding "world building" (may be "lost or confused" remember). I'm curious as to which may be the best format for this particular project.

In the end, with "XCOM Advent", I want to ponder the question," Can mankind (not just XCOM) do more than survive the aftermath, but ascend to that next stage?

If you have any concerns at all, pass them by me and I will get back to you somehow.
Funny you should bring this up Mangrale. One of our major ideas for the next RP takes place after the events for SoD so for now, I would keep your ideas on the backburner to see what comes.

Mar 7, 2015
California, U.S.A.
That is very fair. I have my ideas, yet I'd not want to jump head on and shut the door behind me, leaving others to watch what they may have also enjoyed because I know what that feels like.

A key factor in this project maybe being mine, would be the chance to work on it whenever I had the time.

I shall postpone it for now. I'll try to keep my eyes out to how things shape up. And if you guys are looking for an extra, or a disgruntled soldier #4 or a fickle politician passing some crooked legislature, be sure to let me know. I'm not sure how I'll handle being apart of a story's future without knowing its past but that may yet be my lot. Also I can't vouch for my regularity, but I suppose I won't mind if no one else does.

Also, I was under the assumption that you guys based SoD after the events of Enemy Unknown. If you all managed to fit in some stuff from Enemy Within (MTs, Genemen, EXALT, etc.), that's pretty cool.

DarkGemini24601

Sep 25, 2014
Texas, United States
That is very fair. I have my ideas, yet I'd not want to jump head on and shut the door behind me, leaving others to watch what they may have also enjoyed because I know what that feels like.

A key factor in this project maybe being mine, would be the chance to work on it whenever I had the time.

I shall postpone it for now. I'll try to keep my eyes out to how things shape up. And if you guys are looking for an extra, or a disgruntled soldier #4 or a fickle politician passing some crooked legislature, be sure to let me know. I'm not sure how I'll handle being apart of a story's future without knowing its past but that may yet be my lot. Also I can't vouch for my regularity, but I suppose I won't mind if no one else does.

Also, I was under the assumption that you guys based SoD after the events of Enemy Unknown. If you all managed to fit in some stuff from Enemy Within (MTs, Genemen, EXALT, etc.), that's pretty cool.
Based off Enemy Within with modifications to suit our own lore, of course. The Ethereals in particular got an overhaul. Though the idea of you not needing to know too, too much is that certain future ideas (like my colony one) would mostly remove you from the worries of all the lore. And the rest you could learn on your own since you might be playing a character too young to remember much of a world before all the tech (probably having some sort of timeskip)

Mar 7, 2015
California, U.S.A.
Based off Enemy Within with modifications to suit our own lore, of course. The Ethereals in particular got an overhaul. Though the idea of you not needing to know too, too much is that certain future ideas (like my colony one) would mostly remove you from the worries of all the lore. And the rest you could learn on your own since you might be playing a character too young to remember much of a world before all the tech (probably having some sort of timeskip)
Wow you guys really went all out! Earth is still in one peace right? In game, countries are lost and I would guess infested. Anything you can give me for now in terms of geographic/political climate?
If not, that's fine. All in good time I suppose.

Last edited:

DarkGemini24601

Sep 25, 2014
Texas, United States
Wow you guys really went all out! Earth is still in one peace right? In game countries are lost and I would guess infested. Anything you can give me for now in terms of geographic/political climate?
If not, that's fine. All in good time I suppose.
By colony I just mean humanity reaching out to the stars. And timeskip is after the story. We're not quite done, so I can't give you anything definite, you must understand. (Not sure what you mean by countries being lost/infested. I think you misinterpreted what I said.)

Mar 7, 2015
California, U.S.A.
Sorry, just what might happen in game, changes to the world and all that (which I love). I see that if I inquired about all that has already been done, then we might never finish. Never mind. Forget about it. I like to think I know when I'm out of my depth.:)

Last edited:

DarkGemini24601

Sep 25, 2014
Texas, United States
I understand. Just curious is all.
An update: the XSDF rules and lore thread gives an idea of how the world changed. Most of the details of the war have been left out for time, but it does detail what happened to the faction of EXALT that joined us (They became a powerful corporation called Exalt Enterprises), and the general state of the world. We're about to post a timeline of 25 years after the war, leading up into 2044 when the next story begins.

Mar 7, 2015
California, U.S.A.
An update: the XSDF rules and lore thread gives an idea of how the world changed. Most of the details of the war have been left out for time, but it does detail what happened to the faction of EXALT that joined us (They became a powerful corporation called Exalt Enterprises), and the general state of the world. We're about to post a timeline of 25 years after the war, leading up into 2044 when the next story begins.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll be sure to check the timeline out, as well as the other XSDF related material.

DarkGemini24601

Sep 25, 2014
Texas, United States
Thanks for the heads up. I'll be sure to check the timeline out, as well as the other XSDF related material.
Yup. And if you want to join the main story, you're welcome to. If you want to do something on the side (after the timeline goes up so you can read it), consult with me and zombie about what you want to do so we can work things out.

Mar 7, 2015
California, U.S.A.
Yup. And if you want to join the main story, you're welcome to. If you want to do something on the side (after the timeline goes up so you can read it), consult with me and zombie about what you want to do so we can work things out.
Thanks for offering. I'd love to at least make a character or two. I have a general idea of the sort of character I want to make, but I don't want to overstep my authorization (take great liberties). I believe they should be technically/theoretically possible given what I've read the setting to be. However, if you or anyone needs further details on them, I'll oblige.

As for the "something on the side", I'm unsure what you might mean. If you're referring to my "XCOM Project", I'm in no hurry to make it happen. I see that everyone here is very busy with XSDF preparations. I would rather not bother everyone regarding some weird alternate universe with SoD's sequel being discussed earlier than I expected. With the time I have now, I suspect it may be better if I devote time into XSDF than yet another XCOM project.

DarkGemini24601

Sep 25, 2014
Texas, United States
Thanks for offering. I'd love to at least make a character or two. I have a general idea of the sort of character I want to make, but I don't want to overstep my authorization (take great liberties). I believe they should be technically/theoretically possible given what I've read the setting to be. However, if you or anyone needs further details on them, I'll oblige.

As for the "something on the side", I'm unsure what you might mean. If you're referring to my "XCOM Project", I'm in no hurry to make it happen. I see that everyone here is very busy with XSDF preparations. I would rather not bother everyone regarding some weird alternate universe with SoD's sequel being discussed earlier than I expected. With the time I have now, I suspect it may be better if I devote time into XSDF than yet another XCOM project.
Just send me or zmby a pm about your character idea.1