Fantasy Talk

What race do you love best?

• Total voters

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member
Now fantasy is one of those thing that really can never die off. There will always be knights and dragons, elves and orcs, and castles with kings. Although there are many different variations of fantasy there is always that way of capturing the mind in endless awe. My favorite type of personal fantasy is the ones that focus on magic or the gritty world of thief guilds. I have never played a D and D type game before but have always wanted to since a young age. (No one plays it anymore, at least people I know.) So what are your thoughts on fantasy and the broad genre it entails.

Grelite

I've always been more of a sci-fi guy, but since playing DnD and videogames in fantasy settings I've come to better appreciate it. I still don't like the sentient-centric universes that are typical of fantasy settings; as you may have noticed I tend to try to explain everything within a universe with its own logic and am not likely to take "it's just magic" for an answer. I have always found the races in fantasy to be a strange thing, they all seem like split lines from the human species (a problem often faced with aliens in sci-fi as well). Looking past this, I don't think I have much preference for race; depends on what role I want to play, but I do tend to go with human whenever I am unfamiliar with a setting.

Also, if anyone wants to start a DnD group to play over Skype and Roll20 (or something else, whatever), I'd be up for it.

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member
I've always been more of a sci-fi guy, but since playing DnD and videogames in fantasy settings I've come to better appreciate it. I still don't like the sentient-centric universes that are typical of fantasy settings; as you may have noticed I tend to try to explain everything within a universe with its own logic and am not likely to take "it's just magic" for an answer. I have always found the races in fantasy to be a strange thing, they all seem like split lines from the human species (a problem often faced with aliens in sci-fi as well). Looking past this, I don't think I have much preference for race; depends on what role I want to play, but I do tend to go with human whenever I am unfamiliar with a setting.

Also, if anyone wants to start a DnD group to play over Skype and Roll20 (or something else, whatever), I'd be up for it.
Actually that sound like it would be fun. Maybe we should get a group like that together. I also here they have some DnD games for sci-fi settings as well so that could be right up you alley.

Grelite

Actually that sound like it would be fun. Maybe we should get a group like that together. I also here they have some DnD games for sci-fi settings as well so that could be right up you alley.
I know there are many different TTRPGs. I've played DnD 3.5 and Stars Without Number (which is sci-fi) and loved both.

Sarge

Just fix stuff.
Staff member
Me and a few other guys here play Icewind dale and Baldurs Gate which are basically DnD but in a game. I am usually a half-orc barbarian and a Dwarves defender. Its probably two of my favorite games ever.

DarkGemini24601

I have a long-running (more than 2 years I think) fantasy RP that became more detailed that I ever thought possible.

It started off as us saying "Huh, do you want to do something?" when we never really had RPed before, and eventually developed a world with extensive lore and locations. It's on the final arc right now, and I expect it'll be finished by Late December or sometime January. I might revisit the world with a time-skip, but if not, it's still something I can look back on and be immensely proud of.

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member
I have a long-running (more than 2 years I think) fantasy RP that became more detailed that I ever thought possible.

It started off as us saying "Huh, do you want to do something?" when we never really had RPed before, and eventually developed a world with extensive lore and locations. It's on the final arc right now, and I expect it'll be finished by Late December or sometime January. I might revisit the world with a time-skip, but if not, it's still something I can look back on and be immensely proud of.
Well, now that could lead to something interesting. If there is already an established lore and locations, that leaves an importunity to create all new stories and adventures. Where did you do this?

DarkGemini24601

Well, now that could lead to something interesting. If there is already an established lore and locations, that leaves an importunity to create all new stories and adventures. Where did you do this?
It started out in Starcraft II, ironically. There was a roleplaying minigame system called "Cortex" that we used in the beginning. However, when the Starcraft community started to erode and the maps weren't getting updated (or getting screwed over by patches) we starting using a system called Roll20, which is what the majority of our rps took place in.

I had been thinking that for the future of it (which is quite possibly going to be steampunk-fantasy, heh...) I might add a new member to spice things up.

To add to that, if anyone here thinks they have the time for a fantasy RP in the way I do them, don't hesitate to talk to me about that. I'll see what I can do, though I don't want to stretch my time too thin so don't expect it to be super frequent. :p or something, babbling a little.

Grelite

That sounds awesome.

I did not have friends who were into DnD and stuff when I was in secondary school, but I got into Roleplay by happening upon an RP server in this 2003 game called Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy. That's the brunt of my RP experience; standing around on a server sending messages through the chat system to have characters speak and perform actions not supported by the game-engine, and having explosive lightsaber fights for six years. Good times. The idea of creative problem solving and limitless possibilities has always fascinated me.

DarkGemini24601

Roleplaying is what we hope gaming could one day achieve with adaptable AI that makes the computer practically a GM. *sigh* Someday...

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member
It started out in Starcraft II, ironically. There was a roleplaying minigame system called "Cortex" that we used in the beginning. However, when the Starcraft community started to erode and the maps weren't getting updated (or getting screwed over by patches) we starting using a system called Roll20, which is what the majority of our rps took place in.

I had been thinking that for the future of it (which is quite possibly going to be steampunk-fantasy, heh...) I might add a new member to spice things up.

To add to that, if anyone here thinks they have the time for a fantasy RP in the way I do them, don't hesitate to talk to me about that. I'll see what I can do, though I don't want to stretch my time too thin so don't expect it to be super frequent. :p or something, babbling a little.
If you ever need a new member I am game. I like the FF feel of transitioning between fantasy and steam punk and doing all that. I have never done a pen and paper game in person but I have watched other people do it, and you already see how I write so you know what to expect so PM me with details if you need any members.

Grelite

Right, on the topic of fantasy; steampunk - it makes me vomit. The only setting that I have seen that makes steampunk remotely viable within its own universe is Myst. Mostly feels like people just plopped some gears onto something without thinking about the evolution of technology in the universe it exists in. But enough on that rant.

I'd love to be part of a TTRPG, regardless of setting.

Dahlexpert

Fantasy is in the same league as sci-fy and comic books, it's going no were and. I do love Fantasy I love the mid evil setting of fantasy, and I think that fantasy give you more chances to role play and truly create your own world and factions. I think fantasy has a lot more fun that sci-fy because sci-fy is all way about flying ships and lasers and exploring the solar system, witch is always cool I do love that. But Fantasy is just a lot more for giving with certain lore and to me it's just more fun.

DarkGemini24601

Right, on the topic of fantasy; steampunk - it makes me vomit. The only setting that I have seen that makes steampunk remotely viable within its own universe is Myst. Mostly feels like people just plopped some gears onto something without thinking about the evolution of technology in the universe it exists in. But enough on that rant.

I'd love to be part of a TTRPG, regardless of setting.
Yeah...that's not EXACTLY where I'm going, either, that's just what I was calling it. As it stands, there is technology that provides for a sort of "tank" already, but it's primitive and they use magic to move and shoot rather than gunpowder or steam. The idea was that after the time skip gunpowder would be invented, and that throws a whole new dynamic onto how the world of Aeonus would operate.

Grelite

Yeah...that's not EXACTLY where I'm going, either, that's just what I was calling it. As it stands, there is technology that provides for a sort of "tank" already, but it's primitive and they use magic to move and shoot rather than gunpowder or steam. The idea was that after the time skip gunpowder would be invented, and that throws a whole new dynamic onto how the world of Aeonus would operate.
As I'd implied; it can be done well as Riven showed. The way you describe it reminds me of a lot of the technology in Avatar: The Last Airbender.

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member
Me and a few other guys here play Icewind dale and Baldurs Gate which are basically DnD but in a game. I am usually a half-orc barbarian and a Dwarves defender. Its probably two of my favorite games ever.
I am now happy to say I have the game so if you ever want me in a game, I can do it now.