Orbis Short Stories

DarkGemini24601

Orbis

A world that in some respects parallels the history of our own, and in others deviates from it in surprising ways. It is in a time of empires, kingdoms, and the sword. With the Gem Eaters secluded on their mountain in the sky, magic is an umcommon thing, and can often change a world mired in politics, war, intrigue, and varied pursuits.

There are five known races:​

1. The Talisor, or humans, are a race that shows aptitude in physical strength, and to a less extent swiftness and the mysterious ways of magic. They life from forty to eighty years, typically.

2. The Paludem, or elves, are characterized by their dexterity and potential for magic, though they are certainly not the strongest in that regard. Physical strength is to be found, but is not a primary trait. They can live to be 300 years of age.

3. The Feralis, or people of the natural cycle, are akin to humans and elves in appearance. However, they possess animal ears, tails, and/or eyes and other traits. There are five known types: Canis (Dog/Wolf; 50-year lifespan), Felis (Cat; 114-year lifespan), Venator (Coyote; 82-year lifespan), Coluber (Snake; 178-year lifespan), and Docetus (Crane; 146-year lifespan).

4. The Gem Eaters, who hail from the floating mountain and control the 'veil' beneath it. They are physically strong, though lacking in agility. By consuming gemstones that grow on their mountain, they can gain different elemental variants of magic. They live to be (pending, need to remind myself by asking) years of age.

5. The Mutare, or shapeshifters. Their origins are largely unknown. They possess the ability to change shape to the other races and even other life-forms, though their true form has never been seen, if they even have one. They seem to turn up at the physical age between 8-12, though the Mutare lifespan is 3 times that of a human's.

Notes from Gemini: These short stories are based off a world that is developing in a roleplay between myself and a friend. If anyone ends up wanting to take part in it in some fashion, I'll see what I can do. (And if you wish to take part in the short stories here, don't hesitate to ask at all; that's an easier request to grant) Initially, I'll be writing solo short stories here.

DarkGemini24601

Imelda Olodin

Height: 6'0
Race: Venator Feralis
Element: Not Yet Developed
Primary fighting style: Large Curved Swords
Secondary fighting style: Bow and Arrow

Family
-Mother (Deceased)
-Father (Deceased)
-Nura (Younger Sister)

Weapons: 2-Handed Scimitar
Armor: Leather and Toughened Cloth
Languages: Rubic (Fluent), Italos (Somewhat Fluent), Paludem (Somewhat Fluent)
Patron God: Paella, Goddess of Hunting

Personal History:

Imelda was born to two wealthy merchants living in the town of Kode. The town overlooked the southern end of the Bsyum Depression, and got its well from bronze mining in the rocky cliffs. However, a revolt from the Coluber Feralis slaves resulted in the deaths of many of Kode’s residents, including Imelda’s parents. The town was abandoned despite eventually forcing the Coluber to flee.

The girl, then at the time, and her younger sister Nura took very different paths. Imelda went off to seek adventure alone, partially for vengeance, while Nura traveled to the capital and used the family fortune to gain magical training.

In Bysum, Imelda learned how to survive, and caught the eye of skilled fighters. She was trained from town to town in the way of the sword, and became a bounty hunter. She often was asked to go after runaway slaves as she grew older. She gave that up when she accidentally killed a Paludem runaway, leaving her infant daughter without a mother. Imelda adopted the child, whose name was Omylia.

Changing her ways, Imelda pursued a similar, but different passion. She became a hunter of the Sentaric Empire’s many monstrous beasts, a large concentration of which resided in the Bysum Depression. She gained fame throughout Bysum and even in parts of the rest of the empire. Recently, she took an apprentice from the Toaka nomads: Salvaje.

Without the horn. Picture borrowed from "Monster Hunter"s Kirin Armor. The game's name helped inspire her Imelda's occupation.
Imelda002.jpg

Last edited:

DarkGemini24601

Omylia

Height: 5'5
Race: Paludem
Element: Water
Primary fighting style: Water Magic
Secondary fighting style: None
Family
-Mother (Deceased)
-Father (Unknown)

Weapons: None
Armor: Desert Clothing
Languages: Paludem (Fluent), Rubic (Almost Fluent), Italos (Somewhat)
Patron God: Fluvisi, the River Lady

Personal History:

As a Paludem slave in the desert lands of the Venator ‘Sentaric Empire’, Omylia’s life begun with sadness and has gradually gotten better. She was born into this position, her mother having been taken as a mage slave twenty years prior. Omylia was born to provide her mother’s master with another prospective mage to serve her, but the infant’s mother would have none of it once Omylia was born. The new mother fled, and was hunted down by the bounty hunter Imelda.

In the attempt to capture Omylia’s mother, Imelda accidentally killed her in the resulting fight. Wracked with guilt upon realizing she had a daughter, the bounty hunter abandoned her trade, adopting the infant. Omylia grew up being told that her mother died to protect her, but could never get any details from Imelda. She began to show potential in water magic like her mother, and developed her supernatural skills on her own.

She is a valuable assistant to the Hunter of Monsters, and although a slave, she never really felt like she was one with Imelda. Omylia regards Imelda as a mother, unaware of the cruel irony.

I was looking for a 'desert elf', and this is the picture I found for Omylia. She has dark blue eyes and light blue hair.
Omylia001.jpg

Last edited:

DarkGemini24601

Salvaje Kharse

Height: 5'9
Race: Venator Feralis
Element: Not Yet Developed
Primary fighting style: Fist Weapons
Secondary fighting style: Hand to Hand
Family
(Unknown)

Weapons: Metal Claws
Armor: Animal Hide Clothing
Languages: Rubic (Fluent), Illiterate
Patron God: Pakanga, Goddess of War

Personal History:

The Taoka nomads are a mysterious people. Often misunderstood, yet just as valued, they have played roles in the history of the desert since the times before even the Sentaric Empire. They are one clan, but as nomads parted ways and split into separate tribes long ago. Salvaje’s tribe was one of these: the Khrase.

Unlike the Sentaric, who have a matriarchal society, most Taoka regard the genders more equally, though it can tip slightly to one gender of the other, depending on the tribe. The Khrase, for instance, often promoted men over women. Thus, growing up as a strong, clever, and feisty child, Salvaje was quickly inducted into the warriors of his tribe. Their specialty in combat was unusual. They used ‘clawed’ fist weapons rather than fight with sword or spear.

Salvaje was an ideal Kharse warrior in more ways that potential. He fought with animal viciousness, and was unpredictable as he should be. However, his mentor began to feel that the boy’s qualities were in excess. As part of a rite of passage when he was 16, Salvaje was required to leave the tribe to fight alone for five years as all other Kharse warriors did. Imelda, visiting the Khrase, offered to have Salvaje travel with her as her apprentice. His mentor accepted the offer even though the boy disagreed, hoping the Hunter of Monsters could teach him restraint where he could not.

Without the bajillion tails. He just has one.

Salvaje001.jpg

DarkGemini24601

The Oracle of Bysum, Part 1
Bysum Depression, the Sentaric Empire
"Guidance"

The desert winds blew harshly, kicking up sand and dust. Despite that, it was rather good weather. The deprerssion, lower than the rest of the desert that covered most of the Sentaric Empire, was nestled in a ring of rocky cliffs. They stretched for kilometers around. This particular village was out of the way, nestled beneath an overlook of the cliffs and three of the cliff faces. It was composed primarily of buildings made from the reddened, tough rock of the cliffs, and some temporary structures like tents.

A figure in white desert robes took in the small settlement, standing just outside of it. She pulled down the cloth over her mouth, turning to face another figure in brown that was in the process of sighing. "Why are we here..." he complained. "I'd rather just hunt than talk to some soothsayer."

"The Oracle of Bysum's advice is not something to take lightly," Imelda replied. "It shouldn't take long, so quite whining, Salvaje."

The third member of the group, a young Paludem, looked atthe two Venator, shrugging. The group headed into the village and towards a finely worked cave mouth.

Curtains made of soft, translucent fabric hung over the entrance of the cave. There were two guards clad in the typical lightweight armor of the Sentaric legions. They took a look at the three, and asked them to remove their hoods. Seeming satisifeid with what they saw, the guards let the three pass. A winding tunnel lead past streams of water and dripping stalactites, before finally coming to a natural circular room.

There sat the Oracle of Bysum on a faded rug. She had white fur on her coyote ears and tail, as well as hair of the same color, common for Venator. However...her eyes were far from normal, being a piercing purple that was unbroken from pupil to iris, the latter being larger than the regular size. The 16-year-old oracle raised her hands, which were covered by an oversized white and purple silk robe. "Welcome, Imelda, Salvaje, Omylia. Your coming was foretold."

Salvaje looked at the oracle in disbelief, while Imelda maintained her cool despite her initial surprise. "I would request your assistance, Oracle..."

"With?"

So she doesn't know everything... Imelda mused. "I seek the Boess," the Hunter of Monsters stated. The Boess was a massive, monstrous snake. It had a frill around its neck, and unnaturally flexible fangs that it could impale prey with from below. With 15-20 feet as the average for the species, it was not an easy mark.

"A Boess..." the Oracle echoed. "One that is nearby, I presume? And you wish for me to find it?"

"And...predict the chances of my victory. I am unused to fighting a burrowing enemy, and I need to make sure I won't just die fighting it," Imelda.

"Tactical, if a bit surprising that you would be concerned. The stories the guards told me of you seemed to suggest you were completely self-assured," came the response.

"Caution doesn't hurt. So, can you tell me?"

The Oracle nodded, and grabbed a rounded sphere of glass. It was so polished that one could see clearly into it. A soft glow surrounded the girl's eyes and the orb, purple like the former. Her robes billowed softly as her power rose, darkening the room. A second, deeper voice accompanied hers as she prophesied, images taking shape on it. "The nearest Boess stalks the sands to the west, twenty kilometers out, in six hours."

Omylia watched in awe, Salvaje with suspicion. "And the chances of my success?" Imelda questioned.

The room darkened further, whips of purple floating through the air. "Fifty-five percent for the three hunters together. The Boess will use its advantage of hiding underground and attack from below, but with the use of water magic and speed you could be successful." The glow faded from the crystal and the Oracle's eyes. The room returned to normal. "Thirty gold for the minor prediction, 100 for the major prediction," she said quietly.

Imelda nodded, putting the sum down on the rug in a small bag. "Thank you," she said, and then stood up. She walked outside, her two aides following. Once they left, the first soldier walked into the cave, taking the money. "Well done, Bashia," the soldier said.

Bashira nodded, looking at her old rug as the soldier went back outside to stand guard. I don't need the money anyway...I never leave. She shrugged, used to being confined to the cave for the most part, and laid down for a nap.

Ignore the little dude...and this would be Bashira in traveling clothes, not that she ever has done that.
Bashira001.jpg

DarkGemini24601

The Oracle of Bysum, Part 2
"Boess"

The hunters set up camp, waiting for the Boess to arrive at the appointed time. Imelda had her twin scimitars ready in their sheaths, while Salvaje's weapons were always in, or rather, on hand. Omylia was cooking dinner, which the other two found unable to resist. They sat down to eat, enjoying the cooked lamb on kebabs.

"Impressive, as always, Omi," Salvaje said between mouthfuls.

Omylia smiled. "Glad you like them. What about you, Imelda?"

"They're good, and who knows, maybe they'll lure the Boess."

"Can't get the hunt off your mind?" Salvaje asked.

Imelda laughed. "Of course not. I will once I have its fangs as a trophy."

They soon got their wish. As the fires used to cook dinner died down, and the warm colors painting the sand began to recede when the sun dipped onto the horizon, there was a shaking in the earth. Like a gigantic earthworm, the Boess reared its head from the ground, frill opening up as it hissed at the three.

"H...huge..." Omylia stuttered as she stepped back, trying to think of what to do.

In a flash, Imelda drew her blades, and ran to the side. The snake's head crashed into the ground where she had just been, and the huntress flipped around to slash its side before it vanished beneath the sand again. "Attack it whenever it goes under!"

The three hunters spread out, avoiding more than one being targeted at once. The serpent burst from the sand near Omylia, and swung its head down at the Paludem girl. She put her hands up, and a gush of water formed, solidifying into ice in the serpent's mouth. It stopped, gnashing its jaw trying to break the troublesome, too-cold substance. This gave Omylia time to back off, but Salvaje only hit the sand as the oversized snake disappeared into the landscape again.

"Fight like a man, ya homaar!" Salvaje shouted in frustration, looking around. The Boess soon granted that request, bursting up from directly underneath him with its fangs bared and a filter over its throat to keep out the sand. The Kharse warrior only had a moment to react, and did the only thing that he could think of: he pushed his clawed hands down, propping himself up with the hooked metal on the fangs rather than be impaled by them. The reckless move paid off, as his metal claws screeched against the bone and kept it from puncturing his hands.

"Haha! Tiizak Hamra!" Salvaje taunted, and then leapt down, digging his claws into the sides of the snake's throat. The fist weapon blades tore flesh and drew gouts of blood, and left lines of rended flesh until he reached the filter. By that point the Boess had enough, and tried to burrow away, diving towards the sand. Omylia realized what it was going to do, and remembered the Oracles' words about her magic. She extended her palms, and water saturated the sand where the snake was going, hardening some and freezing the layer below that. The snake slammed its head into this barrier, and recoiled in pain, falling onto its back, mostly out of the ground.

As Salvaje tore its throat out from the inside, Imelda went near its thrashing head and split open the neck with her scimitars. The Taoka warrior, covered in blood and gore, leapt out as the snake's death throes died down. "How's that?" he asked.

Omylia had to look away from the gruesome sight of Salvaje before she felt the need to vomit, while Imelda just shook her head. "So much for restraint."

"But it worked."

"That it did," Imelda conceded to the berserker, and went to claim the serpent's fangs as a trophy.

"W-we ought to thank the Oracle for her help..." Omylia said finally.

Imelda nodded. "We would have spent days searching otherwise. For that, I am grateful."

"I still did all the work," Salvaje boasted.

"Shut up," both Imelda and Omylia said together.

image.jpg
1. Ya homaar - Son of a Donkey/Ass
2. Tiizak Hamra - Your ass is red (like a monkey)
Hi there.
day_3__frill_snake__50_min__by_cryptid_creations-d5lyscx.png

Last edited:

DarkGemini24601

The Oracle of Bysum, Part 3
“Fool’s Errand”

Nuru Nastin heaved a sigh, looking over the oracle’s cave with a rather bored gaze. “Of all the places you could send me… you sent me to watch some girl with fancy powers?” the Venator spy lamented. “Dammit, Mela,” he whined.

At least this “Bashira’ has some guards that are interesting, he thought to himself. Nuru did not mean the two soldiers standing outside of the cave mouth. There were seven Jib’ii hidden on the cliffs above. The combination of a moonless, starry night sky and their brown-red cloaks made the Taoka assassins difficult to see. Even to Nuru’s trained eyes, they appeared only as outlines. I bet a Talisor wouldn’t even see them at all. With his eyes reminiscent of a coyote’s in ability, Nuru could.

Although the Jib’ii had most of their weapons concealed, save for composite bows, Nuru knew enough about them to guess. This stealthy Taoka tribe was known for their skills with bows, throwing knives, poisons, and even magic. And those going on their rite of passage are usually female, as well as being hired by the Kahar. I suppose this girl is valuable indeed if the leader of the Sentaric army saw fit to have the Jib’ii guard her.

Nuru’s musing ceased as he saw a group of six walking up. Now who do we have here, coming for a midnight prophecy? Despite his desire to take a close look, Nuru dared not move, for he would risk alerting the Jib’ii to his uninvited presence. And that risked being shot.

The leader of the approaching group was apparent as she led the others towards the cave. A Paludem woman, the leader was fairly tall, and had a longsword of her people’s craftsmanship in her belt’s sheathe. Nuru barely noticed that, though. Damn… The Paludem woman wore toughened linen pants, and a top that left her stomach bare, as well as enough of her chest to invite the imagination to work further. Wonder if she’s single…I wouldn’t mind…

An image of Vivica waving her whip menacingly brought Nuru back to reality, and away from his thoughts of the beautiful Paludem with striking green eyes and long brown hair. Jeez…she even haunts my fantasies. Sun-damned…Kahar’s daughter…

Nuru took stock of the others. There was an armored Talisor man with dull brown eyes and hair, along with a Talisor woman with black hair and similar eyes. The spy presumed they were related. The man had a shield slung on his back and a broadsword, looking as if he could only use one or the other. The woman had a bow attached to her back, and perhaps knives in her boots.

Fourth was a Paludem man with green hair. As he was finely dressed, Nuru presumed he was a noble. Or a mage. Surprising that he isn’t in charge of this group. Makes her all the se-focus, Nuru, focus! He couldn’t read the fifth. She was a shorter Paludem girl with light brown hair and eyes. Finally, she was followed by an even shorter Paludem boy, with purple eyes and blond hair. No wait, that’s a girl. Why is she dressed in a guy’s clothing?

“If you wish to consult the Oracle, it will have to wait until tomorrow,” the female guard spoke up as the party of six closed.

“Is that so?” the leader said, continuing her approach. “Surely she can spare just a-” she cut herself off midsentence, going for a sweeping kick to drop the guard to the ground. The human male charged the other before his spear could be drawn, and slammed a fist into his gut. The male guard fell to the ground in agony, hurling. The two assailants hit their opponents on the head, knocking them senseless.

“Smooth, but they don’t see the Jib’ii,” Nuru muttered quietly.

Sure enough, a hail of arrows rained from the cliff face in two volleys. The Paludem leader, Pelope, dodged the second round, while the Talisor, Leone, blocked the first with his shield. The others were not so lucky as another volley came in, this time from all six of the archers. The youngest Paludem, Isidora, stepped in front of her master Mikro, taking hits to the stomach, right arm, and left leg. The human female, Lorena, was grazed by one arrow.

Before Nuru’s startled eyes, the young girl pulled out the arrows, wincing. Blood only flowed for a moment, before the wounds rapidly started to seal themselves. She’s…a Mutare? Nuru thought in surprise, not having expected them to have a shapeshifter in their midst. The Jib’ii seemed equally shocked, and Pelope did not waste the opening. She nodded to Lorena and the mage, Athos, and the archer and magus responded in kind.

An arrow slammed into the shoulder of one of the Jib’ii, incapacitating her. Athos raised his hands, and green runes snaked across his fingers. The cactus next to the Taoka assassins began to grow larger and larger, and then burst. The seventh Jib’ii threw up a wall of stone to defend herself, but the others were pierced painfully by the dislodged spines.

The Paludem bandit leader ran inside as her aides were keeping the enemy busy. She quickly found her way to the Oracle’s chamber. “You’re coming with us,” Pelope announced with a triumphant grin.

“W-who…w-why…w-what’s going on out there?” Bashira stammered, holding up her robed hands defensively.

“Didn’t foresee this, huh?” Pelope grabbed Bashira by the arm. “Come on.”

“I-if you’re…planning on kidnapping me… you should know my abilities don’t work outside this cave.”

“Bullshit,” Pelope replied immediately. “Who the hell told you that?”

“M-my guards…”

“I bet they said that so you wouldn’t leave and you’d stay under their thumb,” Pelope countered, and grabbed Bashira by the wrist, starting to lead her out. Leone raised his shield again, blocking a hail of earthen shards from a very upset Taoka shaman.

“Ready to go?” he asked coldly, without looking over.

“I’ve got her,” the bandit leader announced, and looked at Bashira, who was looking around at the stars. “See? You’ll get to see more of the world with us.” At least until we find someone who will pay good gold for an oracle of their own.

Bashira’s eyes lit up as they ran off. “R-really?”

Interesting, indeed… Nuru mused. He now had quite the story for Mela. With that in mind, and a wink Pelope couldn’t see anyway, white runes surrounded the soles of Nuru’s shoes, and he leapt up the cliff in a series of bounds. Once on flat ground, he broke into a run with the speed of a roadrunner to inform the information broker of what had transpired.

The clever and beautiful leader. Nuru is starstruck.

Pelope001.png
The warrior of the group. Yes, this expression conveys his personality perfectly.

Leone001.jpg
The pragmatic archer. Eyes are brown, not gold.

Lorena001.jpg
The calm and collected mage. Freed works well enough for his picture.

Athos001.jpg
The oddball rogue. Why a doughnut? Because Bobowon can!

Mikro001.jpg
The shapeshifting slave. Not wearing what she is in the story right now.

Isidora001.jpg

Last edited:

DarkGemini24601

The Oracle of Bysum, Part 4
Tepatla'ma Capital of the Setlonic Empire
“Hasten”

(Bobowon as Mela and Mikro)

Nuru walked around the streets of the city, heading towards the alleyway where he could find the information broker known as Mela. He shooed away a cat, and turned into a dark corner. In front of a small door in the side of a building, placed oddly, sat a 17-year-old Venator girl. She had her long tail wrapped over her lap, and was resting her head on it. She looked up at her informant as he approached.

Nuru cleared his throat. “Well, some…ahem, interesting things happened over at the Oracle’s place.” He paused. “Namely, she was kidnapped.”

Mela seemed a little surprised. “By who?” she inquired.

“Couldn’t put names to them, but they were some bandit group of six,” Nuru responded. “Lead by some hot elf chick…and they had a mutare too,” he added the second piece of information like an afterthought.

Mela gave a ‘hm.’ “A Mutare… That should make them easier to find, not a lot of those around.”

Nuru shrugged. “Well, she looked like a Paludem. I could tell because no Paludem pulls Jib’ii arrows out to heal like they’re nothing.”

Mela thought for a moment. “Hmmm… did you see where they took the Oracle?”

“I would say they’re heading for the main trading city… bet they intend to sell her,” Nuru guessed. “The Kahar won’t be happy, considering how much money she makes of that girl. Problem is, we both know how little military forces there are in Bysum. Bet we could get her to pay us for the information, though…”

“Though?” Mela pressed.

“There might be someone that would pay more, getting into contact with others would be difficult, though,” the informant continued. “We can either play it safe, helping the Kahar, or we could try to find someone who would pay more for their own personal oracle.”

“It might be nice to make that little extra money,” Mela mused. “Though I would like to meet this Oracle myself.”

“Well, if we end up working with those bandits to find a buyer, you’d get your wish.” And I might get mine….mmm. Bringing himself back to reality, he added, “You’d probably have to leave the city, though.”

“I guess it can’t be avoided…let me gather my things.” The Information Broker started to turn.

Nuru grinned slightly. “You going to crawl to Bysum?” he asked, making fun of how Mela often moved around.

Mela gave him an unamused glare. “Yeah, sure.” She crawled back into her ‘hobbit hole’. When she came out, she had a sort of binding of cloths like a hobo might. She jumped onto Nuru’s back. “Let’s go.”

Nuru looked up at her for a moment, and slowly nodded. Not that I mind, but I know you’ll kill me if I…aw, forgot it. “Okay then…” Wind surrounded his boots, and he took off, if slightly weighted down by his companion.

Mid-Autumn, not long after the Oracle’s capture

The Paludem mage, Athos, found himself gazing out the window. Outside the two story inn, the streets were abuzz with life. In the twin bazaars of the city, merchants haggled with customers. The former possessed exotic items from all over. Travelers on camelback passed through the city, admiring the simple majesty of its central fort of the complex beauty of woven rugs and shaped pottery sold in the market. Even if few of them could afford to buy what they saw.

Athos registered little of this. “I hate the desert…” he muttered. “My magic is damn near useless out here. I only caught a lucky break with that cactus...”

Pelope patted the mage on the shoulder with mock sympathy. “Oh, poor you.”

Bashira was looking over her new travelling clothes, as Pelope didn’t want her in her usual distinct, oversized robes. Pelope was right about my predictions working outside of that cave…the soldiers did lie to me… she thought to herself. The Oracle of Bysum glanced over at Isidora, her curiosity spilling over. “Um…why are you dressed like a boy?”

“I…uh…well…” Isidora stammered sheepishly.

The culprit behind choosing the Mutare slave’s clothing smiled brightly. “They look good on her!”

Lorena shook her head. “Don’t even try to understand her. Trust me, I’ve tried, and its futile.”

Mikro shrugged nonchalantly. “I like what I like.”

The bandit leader walked over, cutting the chat short. “Lorena, Mikro, I want you two to go separately check the entrances to town. Making sure we weren’t followed.”

Lorena nodded. “Sure, me and Athos will take the south.”

“I guess I’ll take the north then,” Mikro concluded, and grabbed Isidora’s hand. “Come on, let’s go.”

Isidora dutifully followed. “I thought we were going to sell off the Oracle…why has Pelope been acting like she’s travelling with us?”

Mikro flicked Isidora in the nose, causing the latter to blink. “Because, then she won’t run off.”

“Oh…” Isidora said as the logic dawned on her. “I didn’t realize she was lying…”

Mikro shrugged. “It’s kind of a shame…but we can get a lot for her, I’m sure.”

Isidora reached into her empty pockets. “We are kind of poor right now…”

The two arrived at the wall, which was fairly easy to get ontop of. Security seemed lax. Mikro took a look around. “Not too tough a place to get around.”

The Mutare nodded her assent. “Pelope picked a good place to get into contact with buyers, I guess.”

The Paludem rogue smiled. “So long as no one follows, we should be in the clear.”

Isidora leaned on the balcony, enjoying the gentle warm wind. Some traders came by, alone or with caravans, but none that looked suspicious or had any dangerous people with them. Mikro’s gaze went over Isidora as she took in the sight of the Mutare, checking her out. Isidora seemed to notice the silence, and glanced back. Noticing Mikro’s gaze marked with a hint of desire, Isidora turned slightly red. “U-uh…”

Mikro looked back over the wall. “I guess no one is following us from this side, then.”

Isidora glanced back over, and pointed. “Who’s that?”

A Venator woman in a white desert cloak, followed by two in brown cloaks, were approaching the gate. One of them appeared to be a Taoka nomad with fist weapons. The third was a young elf girl.

“Hmmm…I don’t trust it. Let’s go tell Pelope,” Mikro decided, sneaking off with Isidora.

Pelope was walking with Leone while the others were on the walls. She enjoyed the sun on her skin, and her thoughts were clear as she went down the road with Leone. As she brushed back her hair, Pelope noticed Leone look away from an intense gaze. “We’ve been over this, Leone. Bad business to fall in love with associates, or stick with anyone, for that matter.”

“I know,” the Talisor muttered. “Doesn’t mean I can’t enjoy the view, though. You’re always so tantalizing, and you do it intentionally.”

Pelope’s lips curled up in a smile. “What can I say? I enjoy the attention. But your gaze can be harmful to both of us…you start thinking like that, and then your desire will spiral out of control, my strong friend. Can’t have that. As regrettable as it might be, you can’t have me.”

Leone sighed. “You don’t have to rub it in…”

The bandit leader laughed. “You, my friend, need to visit a brothel. Or something of the sort. It would clear your mind.”

The warrior shrugged his armored shoulders. “Perhaps. Though with women being dominant around here, it’s a little harder to find something like that.”

Pelope shifted her shoulders in response. “I dunno…kinda like it. It’s refreshing, from having to put up with idiotic Paludem and their sense of male superiority.” The Paludem woman arrived at one of her potential buyers, and started discussing business with him. She didn’t get far, however, and stepped back with an apologetic look, going over to Mikro. “One moment.” “What is it?”

“A few strange people came into town, a girl with a white cloak and two people in brown,” the rogue explained.

“Anything else special about them?” Pelope pressed, not quite satisfied.

“They don’t look like regular merchants, more like bandits or mercenaries,” Mikro elaborated with a serious look.

“Great…” Pelope gave a long, drawn out sigh. “Wasn’t expecting people to respond this early. I’m going to finish up negotiations, though I don’t have much faith that this guy will be our buyer. Get the others to guard me, and if those three attack, we’ll deal with them.”Mikro nodded, and made sure the others were standing by if anything were to go wrong.

The information broker. I wouldn't say she's an Overseer, but she does tend to pull people's strings.
Mela001.jpg

Last edited:

DarkGemini24601

The Oracle of Bysum, Part 5
Mid-Autumn still
“Blade Dance”

(Bobowon as Mikro)

Sure enough, the three travelers entered the market area, seemingly looking for something…or someone. They stayed together, paying little attention to the offers of merchants.

“This is probably not the best place to get into a fight…” Athos muttered, watching the group from the balcony of the inn.

“Well, it would seem they are looking for the Oracle,” Lorena concluded. “Strange, though, they don’t seem like government soldiers.”

“Mercenaries maybe?” Mikro offered.

Pelope sighed. “Regardless, we need a plan to deal with them. I can’t set up any deals with these three hunting us.”

The nature mage Athos glanced back at the room where Leone was keeping the Oracle busy in their portion of the inn. "We could try luring them out of the city. The guards won't care so much if we fight out of the way of merchants and travelers."

"Someone needs to guard the Oracle to make sure one of them doesn't snatch her from us while we fight. She'll have to be the bait, though," Pelope decided.

Mikro pitched in again. “We could use Isidora as bait, just hide the oracle here."

Pelope grinned widely. "Genius."

Isidora sighed, reluctantly shifting her appearance to look like the oracle in traveling clothes for ease of movement.

Mikro smiled. "Perfect, you’re getting better at this " ^_^

The bandit group started to head out of the inn, and the three quickly took note of 'Bashira'. "That's her...so they're the ones that attacked the cave..." Imelda muttered, having come all this way to help the kind Oracle.

"Well, then, let's kick their-" Salvaje was held in check by his mentor.

“Relax, Salvaje," Imelda warned. "We'll wait until they leave the city. Seems like they're headed that way," she finished, and they pursued.

Mikro whispered, "Are they following?"

The bandit leader nodded. "They are..." She led her group out of the gates, going off to the side of the road before finally turning around. "All three of them."

The rogue grinned. “Perfect.”

Imelda drew her two scimitars rather than the large two-handed one on her back. "Who are you people, and why did you take the Oracle?"

Mikro put an arm around their fake oracle. "Because she wants to be with us, isn’t that right? Not stuck in that slum."

The mutare nodded slowly. "Y-yeah..."

"You seemed content in your cave before, not that I agreed with that..." Imelda countered. "What does your prophecy tell you about those escorting you? They are likely not who you think they are.”

"I...uh..." Isidora stammered

Salvaje nudged Imelda. "Where's her crystal ball?"

"Didn't that one Taoka tell us they had a Mutare with them?" the desert elf Omylia offered.

Pelope drew her Paludem longsword. "Damn it..." the bandit leader muttered.

Mikro sighed. "I guess we have to fight."

"Salvaje, go back to their inn," Imelda muttered.

"Rescue mission? Come on..." Salvaje turned around, running off back towards the city.

Pelope ran at Imelda, her blade locking with the twin scimitars of the hunter of monsters."Someone go after him!"Omylia fired off a wide jet of boiling water, forcing Athos to stumble back without the means to defend himself, and the cousins to reposition themselves.

Mikro ran for Salvaje "Xome on Isidora!" The mutare ran off after Mikro, the chase to reach Bashira on.

The Taoka nomad was swift, and leap ontop of the wall, using his claws to make his way onto it.

"W-what are you doing?" one of the guards asked in surprise.

Salvaje just grinned. "No time to talk." He leapt onto the roof of a building, starting to run again.

“Stop him, he’s a thief!" Mikro shouted as she ran around, not being adept enough to climb a wall very quickly.

"A thief? What did he take?" the guard asked in confusion. Another held up a hand at Salvaje. "Hold on a minute!"

"Little bitch..." the Taoka nomad muttered at Mikro, but did not stop his dash.

"Stop him!" Several of the guards started to run after Salvaje.

“He stole all my coin and i think hes going after a friend of mine too,” Mikro continued to lie.

Salvaje leapt into the window, looking around and settling his gaze on Bashira. She tilted her head at the nomad. "You, from before...what are you doing here?"

"Saving you from some bandits that probably want to sell you off..." Salvaje responded.

"S-sell me? They said I c-could travel with them!"

"And you believed them? Can't you just do one of your prophecy-" Salvaje began before being cut off by an opening door.

They rushed into the room, and their confusion grew when they saw the purple-eyed Oracle. "The Oracle of Bysum? What is she doing here?"

Mikro caught up just behind the soldiers "She wanted to travel, so we have been keeping her safe."

They did not notice as Isidora shifted back to look like her default. "But...the Oracle never leaves her cave,” their leader protested.

Mikro did not skip a beat. “That’s why we have been letting her travel with us, it’s not fair keeping her stuck there right?"

"She serves the Kahar's interests..." one soldier growled in response. "The Oracle should not be here."

“Woah...wait a minute... You guys use her like a frikin' servant too?" Salvaje shot back, his anger growing.

This is getting weird… Mikro thought. >_<

"How about you both come with us..." the guard leader decided.

Mikro looked at all the guards around. "Uhh...fine"

"...to hell with that!" Salvaje bashed his fists into the leader's chestplate, sending her careening back into the wall, armor damaged. He then knocked another over with a sweeping kick, and grabbed Bashira, jumping out the window, the Oracle's eyes wide in terror. The two landed in a container of imported silks. "Huh...lucky." The nomad grabbed Bashira's arm. "Come on!" The Oracle, not sure what else to do, followed.

The guard leader started to get up, while the others were either looking out the window or tending to her. That left Mikro and Isidora an escape route through the door. Mikro ran for the door trying to find Salvaje. “Well that was a bust.” >_<

The guards seemed to lose him, but Mikro found him as he had to take a breather for Bashira's sake."Well, nice job, you idiot," Salvaje growled at Mikro. "Now you've made both of us criminals."

"You’re the one trying to lock her back up again," Mikro countered.

"Not gonna send her back now that I know how they treated her!" the Taoka shot back."You were going to sell her, weren't you!"

"Of course not!" Mikro protested.

Bashira’s eyes darted between the two. "What...do we do now, though?"

The battle outside the gates was soon brought to a stop as group of ten guards stepped outside, lead by a mage in white cloth. The mage held a hand over her forehead, shaking her head in disappointment. "What in the world is going on, sister?"

Imelda drew back from Pelope, one eye on each of them. "Nura..."

Imelda's younger sister and magic-user loyal to the Sentaric Empire.
Nura001.jpg

DarkGemini24601

The Oracle of Bysum, Part 5
Bysum Depression and the city of Teluma, the Sentaric Empire
Mid-Autumn still
“Awful Liars, Part 1”

Salvaje fled to the best place he could think of: the desert. A moderate sandstorm was starting to build up, and the adept nomad got an advantage from this. Mikro of course would follow with Bashira and Isidora, not having much of a choice given the situation.

"Remember, you got us into this situation, bandit..."Salvaje sighed. “Imelda's gonna be pissed..."

"So is Pelope...." Mikro mumbled.

"That your leader?" the nomad asked.

Mikro nodded. Bashira had her scarf drawn up around her face, but coughed when a bit of sand made its way through the makeshift mask. "How did this even happen..."

"'Cause apparently the Sentaric military branch is full of a bunch of shitheads," Salvaje replied, helping the oracle tie her scarf more effectively. "Not that I care, but are you managing alright, thief?" he asked Mikro.

"I’m doing just fine, and don’t call me a thief."

Isidora leaned over to her master. "B-but... isn't that sort of what you do?" She whispered this of course. Mikro elbowed Isidora lightly in the side. “Sorry.”

Back in the city of Teluma, where the rest of the bandits had fought the hunter of monsters, Nura sighed. "Well? I expect an answer, sister..."

Imelda pointed at Pelope, who was adjusting her hair casually.

"This Paludem and her allies are the ones that abducted the Oracle... We went after them once we found out she was missing."

Obviously your sister is mistaken," Pelope told the army mage. “I know not of this oracle; my group was merely passing through..."

Nura rubbed her temples, thinking for a moment. "I have no ability to discern if both of you are lying or not."

Imelda rolled her eyes. "So you're not going to trust your big sister on this?"

"That's not how this job works," Nura muttered. "Both of you are coming with me while I try to sort this out." The mage glanced over at a bruised soldier running over, seeming out of breath. She patiently crossed her arms and waited for the other woman to gather her senses.

"What is it? What happened to you?" Nura asked.

"...we... found the Oracle." Nura, Imelda, and Pelope's eyes widened at the words of the guard. They all asked where, and Nura turned to face the other two, Pelope especially, with a hint of suspicion, before the mage looked back at the messenger.

"In one of the local inns... we tried to take her back, but this Taoka and some bandit ran off with her...!" the Sentaric soldier explained. "And some other Paludem girl too..."

Mikro you idiot... how did you manage to run off with an enemy? Pelope thought to herself.

The Sentaric mage snapped her fingers. "Alright. You all are coming with me. We're going to find these two who you seem to know, and get this sorted out... the Oracle can tell us the truth." Imelda was tasked to lead them into the desert, as her sister knew of the hunter's tracking skills well.

The water mage took a sip of water, using her magic to keep it clear of sand. "Why do you think Salvaje ran off with one of those bandits?" Omylia asked.

"...knowing him, he probably got pissed at the authorities for something," Imelda claified. The huntress sighed. "He can be rather difficult at times, can't he?"

Omylia giggled. "I dunno, it can be kinda cute."

Imelda raised an eyebrow while scraping away some dust from faint tracks from the not-so-stealthy Isidora. "Oh?"

Omylia reddened and looked away. "Not like that! I meant like a pet..."

"I think that makes it wor-"

"Shut up!" the Paludem cut in, looking away from Imelda.

Athos had his head hung, despising the heat and the sandstorm. "Those two seem... lively," he grumbled.

"They aren't so bad," Lorena offered. "Too bad we have to fight with them..."

"If that's even possible at this point. What do you think, Pelope?" Leone seemed hesitant.

The bandit leader shrugged. "If an opportunity to snatch Bashira and run prevents itself, we'll take it... Otherwise I'm more concerned about our own safety."

Eventually, they came across the nomad as he neared a cave. "Shit, why are you helping them, Imelda? They just want to use the Oracle like a tool!"

Imelda's expression darkened, and she turned, facing her sister.

"She is one of the Kahar's most valuable assets... we treat her well, sister," the mage replied.

Isidora raised a hand. "Uh... s-she was confined to that cave..." the Mutare offered.

Nura smiled awkwardly, tapping a step back from the rising anger of the hunter of monsters. "Now, sis... hold on a minute here..."

"Don't tell me you plan on going against the will of the Sentaric government here..." Imelda warned.

"Why don't you ask Bashira herself? What does she want?" Pelope smiled, knowing the answer.

Bashira tapped her index fingers together. "I... do want to see more of the world... and my guards lied about me not being able to use my powers outside of that village."

"That is all we had intended to do for her, you see?" Pelope told Imelda smugly. "Help her see more of the world. We were worried you didn’t feel the same way.”

Imelda: "I have a hard time believing that was your only intention... you did lie earlier.”

Mikro: "why not ask Bashira? did you really ever feel in danger?"

Bashira shook her head slowly. "You've all been nice... even if I was a little worried that you might make me wear boy's clothing too, Mikro."

Nura stared at the rogue blankly for a moment. "Why... nevermind, that's not important." Mikro gave a mostly blank, slightly worried stare back.

"Imelda, listen to me... don't defy the Kahar. That's a battle you won't win,” Nura protested.

Used as the avatar for the Sentaric soldiers in general.
VenatorSoldierF.jpg

Last edited:

DarkGemini24601

The Oracle of Bysum, Part 6
Bysum Depression and the city of Teluma, the Sentaric Empire
Mid-Autumn still
“Awful Liars, Part 2”

"I've made some mistakes... but this is something I won't let go, sister," Imelda replied. She opted to draw her two handed scimitar this time, rather than the two swift blades.

Nura sighed. "Very well... take them down!" she ordered the fifteen guards accompanying her.

Pelope drew her Paludem longsword in a flash, running through one of the lightly armored archers that made up five of that fifteen. Just the arm though, as she didn't particularly want to draw Imelda's ire at the moment. "Mikro! We shall join forces with the Monster Hunter for this occasion! Try to avoid killing if you can help it, there's no need."

Omylia threw her waterskin at two of the Venator swordswomen, and it burst in a splash of water that froze their limbs together.

"Nice!" she said to herself.

Athos stepped behind Leone. "Since there are no cacti here, I will let you do what you do best."

"Am I nothing more than a brute to you? Very well." Leone pulled out his shield, and charged forward, knocking two of the archers flat on their faces. Lorena took out the last two archers, piercing a shoulder each with arrows in a steady tempo.

Mikro drew her dagger. "This is going to hurt...."

Five of the Venator soldiers rushed Mikro and Isidora in an attempt to get Bashira back. The oracle’s eyes widened, and she pulled out her crystal ball, staring into it for a moment. "Duck!" she yelled at them both.

Mikro did so. The confused soldiers slashed over the heads of the two, and were paid for the disadvantage of being against the Oracle's wishes.

Isidora punched two of them in the gut with the force only a Mutare could muster, and knocked a third on his back with a kick. The other two were vulnerable to attack from Mikro.

Mikro swiftly stabbed ones leg and went to slash the other’s kneecap. They fell, leaving only three to face Salvaje.

"You picked the wrong Khrase warrior," the nomad remarked with a predatory grin, and swung his fists at one. They parried with a scimitar, but the triangular spikes lining the fist weapons' triple claws caught the blade, and Salvaje threw it to the side. His free hand connected with the side of his foe, driving a few needles painfully into him, left behind from the attack as Salvaje kicked another in the groin, not stopping for an instant.

The third gave a battle cry and swung down a sturdier, imported blade, and Salvaje moved to the side in a flash, the blade kicking up a cloud of sand, adding to the chaos of the sandstorm. The soldier frantically looked around, and found himself staring into the red eyes of the amused Venator behind him.

"Gotcha." Salvaje slammed the back of his fists into the man's helmet, knocking him unconscious."How's that, Micro, or whatever your name is?"

“Haha, funny," the Paludem muttered, not amused in the slightest.

"...I don't...oh!" Isidora realized."It was a joke about your size using the Talisor language..." She trailed off, looking a bit fearfully at an unamused Mikro.

Mikro grimaced. "Your shorter then I am!"

"By choice!" Isidora defended. "Being small has its advantages, after all."

"Exactly…" Mikro agreed.

As the three argued the merits of smaller stature, Nura was pitted against her sister. She backpedaled from a series of slashes from the fearsome, oversized scimitar of the monster hunter, and held up a palm. "Do stand back." A bright flash of light blinded Imelda temporarily, and Nura capitalized on the opportunity, firing off a cone of light energy that made Imelda uncomfortably hot, and forced her to dodge before it started to set fire to the sand there like a magnifying glass. "You really ought to have studied magic, sister..."

"So I can be a suck up to Alozza like you?" Imelda snapped irritably.

"I am only following orders laid out by my superior. Your reckless nature doesn't do you any favors!" Nura narrowed her eyes. "Didn't that get that girl's mother killed? Weren't you the one that killed-"

"How... dare you speak of that like you understand...!"

Omylia paled, looking at Imelda. "You... you k-killed mom? But... you said she... she died defending me!"

Imelda looked down, losing sight of Nura. "I... I never meant to harm her... it was just a mercenary job to take her back to her master..."

Omylia clenched her fists, but faltered when Nura blasted her sister with fire, knocking over the defenseless woman.

"I truly am sorry, Imelda. I didn't mean to be that underhanded... but I have to do what I have to do," Nura said. "Please just stand down, Omylia. I won't involve you in this."

A few tears streamed down her face, but the Paludem shook her head. "Even... even if she did do that... she took care of me... so I can believe it was an accident... And I won't let you deprive Bashira of her freedom." Omylia smiled painfully. "I am a slave... though Imelda never treated me that way. I would love to see Bashira feel the same kindness... we would offer her that, as would this other group."

Nura sighed. "That's idealistic of you... Yet, I suppose I understand.” The solar mage took stock of her downed entourage. "I suppose this isn't a battle I can win, after all."

"Very well..." Nura held up her hands helplessly. 'You can take the Oracle with you, but know that others are going to come for you... I don't really see how you plan to actually 'free' her." Nura sighed, going to help one of her soldiers as the bandits and Imelda's group rejoined eachother.

Omylia helped support Imelda, applying water to her wounds.

"Are you sure... you can forgive me? Even..." Imelda started to say.

Omylia nodded quickly at Imelda, not needing to think about it twice. "Of course I can. You took care of me for 14 years... that's not something I take lightly."

Pelope looked between the tired elf and the wounded Monster Hunter. "You thinking what I'm thinking, Mikro?" she asked the other Paludem.

“Run?"

"Yep." The bandit leader grabbed Bashira's arm, and signaled for the others to flee.

"I friggen' knew it! HEY!" The nomad raised his fists and started to run after the bandits in flight, but Imelda held up a hand.

"We can't... pursue them like this..."

Bashira looked over at Mikro in confusion. "Why are we running?"

“Because we are going to die if we stay, we can’t fight them."

"B-but why would we fight them, they wanted to help, right?" Bashira's purples eyes darted between Mikro and Pelope in bewilderment.

“Half of them wanted to put you back in the cave while the other half wanted to hand you over to them," Mikro reasoned.

"I... I guess..." The oracle stopped struggling, and followed the bandits into the worsening sandstorm.

Couldn't decide if I wanted her to dual wield or not, so she can do both a great scimitar and dual scimitars. Imelda, ladies and gents.
f40f1ca8dc00742f731111552e048663.jpg

Last edited:

DarkGemini24601

The Oracle of Bysum, Part 7
Mid-Autumn still
“Divine Inspiration”

Imelda, Salvaje, and Omylia hunkered down in the nearby cave, waiting out the severe sandstorm while Imelda took a breather.

Salvaje clenched and unclenched his fists in frustration. "Dammit... we were so close to saving Bashira, too... But Imelda... you kinda owe us an explaination. What happened to Omi's mom?" Although she didn't agree vocally, Omylia clasped her hands together and looked down slightly, wanting to know the truth as well.

Imelda leaned up against the wall, sighing. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you earlier, Omylia... I probably should have." The monster hunter looked up at the Paludem girl sadly. "I just thought... maybe it would be better if you never had to know. Before all of this, I was a mercenary..."

"You did say that once, but never gave me any details," Omylia prompted quietly.

Imelda inclined her head slightly. "Yeah. The reason for that is because most of the jobs I took... were to hunt down runaway slaves." Imelda winced at the flash of shock she got from Omylia, but knew she could expect no less. "Your mother... was one such Paludem. I was tasked to bring her in alive, since she was a talented water mage like you're becoming. However, I made a terrible mistake that day... I overestimated the strength of a wall of ice she put up to block my path, and my scimitar sliced through, cutting her down." The huntress shook her head bitterly. "I don't understand how you could forgive me for that. It was a mistake, but I took your mother away from you."

Omylia knelt down in front of Imelda. "If you had never followed that path, perhaps you would never have come to regret what you did. I mean that about my mother, and about your previous job."
The desert Paludem trembled a little. "It is a horrible feeling to know you did that... and I'd be lying if I said I didn't hate you a little right now..." Omylia wrapped her arms around Imelda, holding the Venator tightly. "But you try to make up for it. You took me in, even though you probably ran afoul of whoever sent you to take me and my mom back."

"...Omylia... I..."

"And you've been practically a mother to me. I think she'd be content with that, right?" Omylia smiled weakly, and Imelda looked at her, surprised for a moment, but slowly nodded.

"I'll... take that to heart. I won't put your kindness to waste, Omylia,” Imelda decided gently, returning the hug.

Salvaje smiled, though he made sure to look away so the two didn't catch his warm grin. "Guess that settles that." His expression twisted in confusion as someone appeared around the corner, with a woman hanging from his back like a light red-furred backpack.

"Who they hell are you?" the strange man exclaimed, Salvaje asking a similar question at the same time.

"This better be the right place...." Mela warned Nuru.

Imelda got up from her sitting position, walked over to the two newcomers. "Who might you two be...?"

The spy gulped for a moment, taking in Imelda's attire and figure. "Well, we..."

"We are just looking for someone, and you’re not her." Mela covered Nuru’s eyes. "Onward my steed."

“Wait!" Imelda called out, stopping the already reluctant Nuru in his tracks. "You're... looking for Bashira, aren't you? Why? Are you with the government?"

“No, I just want to meet her,” Mela responded lazily.

Imelda looked down. "We were trying to rescue her after we found out that the Kahar just wants to use her like a slave, but those bandits ran off with her..."

"Why do you have to block my vision from that sculpture of a woman..." Nuru mumbled.

"Fine...ill just hold onto something else." Mela wrapped her arms tightly around his neck-

Nuru gave a surprised 'gack', trying to dislodge Mela. "F-fine, you win!”

"Um... you wanted to see me?" Standing at the entrance to the cave was the Oracle of Bysum, covered in sand and looking a bit under the weather.

"Bashira? How..." Imelda said in surprise.

"I... wasn't sure if I wanted to go with them," Bashira replied, dusting herself off. "I looked to the future... and it told me they were planning to sell me off." The oracle couldn't hide her sadness. "I thought they were my friends... but I should have trusted you in the first place."

“Still, they must've had a guard or something..." Salvaje grabbed her scarf. "You're not that Mutare, are you?"

Bashira’s eyes widened, and she waved her hands in a panic. "N-no! Isidora helped me escape because she felt bad!"

"Well, uh, Mela... I guess you can talk to her now,” Nuru stated. This kinda screws with our plans to make her ours, doesn't it? Wonder if I could take this guys, the spy wondered, sneaking glances at the three hunters.

Mela leapt off of Nuru and, for possibly the first time ever, stood up in front of Bashira. "So it’s true you can see the future?"

The Oracle nodded. "From what I can tell, I can utilize one major prediction a day and eight minor ones."

Bashira scratched behind her ears. "Uh... what in particular do you want to know? And I should warn you, the future is often variable based on how people react to each other."

Mela whispered into her ear, "Will I ever strike it rich?"

Bashira: "I hope that classifies as a minor prediction..." Bashira mused, and pulled up her crystal ball again. Her purple irises that masked the pupils glowed, and she spoke with a deeper version of her voice rumbling the same words. It didn't quite overshadow her normal voice, the two instead joined in a strange harmony. "The thrifty Venator before me has wealth that waxes and wanes like the phases of the moon, but it seems as if this may soon be a lucky full moon indeed for her."

Mela smiled brightly. "And will i ever be married?"

Bashira stammered for a moment, replying, "Such cannot be determined with a simple divination, though at the current time this much seems unlikely should she continue to hide her hidden affection."

"Hidden... so you're a goddamn liar, then!" Nuru snapped. "You told me you hoped I wasn't interested in you!"

Mela turned and threw one of her daggers, luckily still in its case, at Nuru’s head.

Nuru grimaced, stumbling back. "Dammit Mela!"

Imelda chuckled at the two, turning to Bashira as Omylia hugged her. "So... do you want to travel with us? We could take care of you and let you see more of the world..."

Nuru rubbed the side of his head. "Hold on a minute... do you really expect that to work out if the Kahar wants her back? I might have a better solution." He grinned at Mela. "What if we take her in as our aide? She could still travel with you occasionally, but we can convince Alozza to get off your tails. All we ask in return is that you let us make us of her predictions when we need them."

"i have a nice little place for her to stay too." Mela returned to her crawling position hidden behind her tail.

Imelda rubbed her chin. "That could work... if you're okay with that, Bashira."

The Oracle smiled. "Just as long as you treat me like an associate, not an object."

Mela wagged her tail nonchalantly. "Of course, you will be treated much better than Nuru."

Bitch, Nuru thought to himself, but wisely didn't vocalize his dissident.

"I suppose that settles it. We should go before the bandits realize their prize is missing," Imelda suggested. "Though... how do you have enough influence to convince the Kahar of anything?" she asked the red-furred woman.

Bashira smiled happily, following the group outside as the dust storm began to die down. As the travelers departed for the capital to iron things out with Alozza, if one listened hard enough, they might have heard a lovely voice wasted with curses in the language of the Paludem.

You might meet her in a future story. Small wonder why people are afraid of her, even without knowing about the extent of her shadow magic.
Alozza001.jpg
1. The Paludem language is basically Greek, and called Keethens. Anyone know any Greek obscenities?
2. Will Mela and Nuru ever be a thing? Not even Bashira seems to know.
3. I hope you all enjoyed this. Apologies for delays, but it was fun to write, and I will post more Orbis content here. If you want, you can even take part in a short story if you ask me. I'd love to collaborate on something in the wacky, alternate world with alternate history known as Orbis.

Attachments

• IMG_5091.JPG
    IMG_5091.JPG
    800.9 KB · Views: 371
  • URMET.PNG
    URMET.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 358